Turnkey Mobile Apps for XenForo with Addon/Theme Support, Android & iPhone [Deleted]

also someone asked this from my members

"Just curious , why do you need access to my contacts, camera, microphone, and pics. This is ****ed up"

If they were to think about it they have to give access to those things for a pretty much every app they install. I know on Android it's a little pretty generic message to be able to install apps whether or not the app actually uses those things or not. iOS only asks typically when the app tries to access the different things like pics, or contacts, etc.

not small at all, right now the app uses mobile interface, thats cool...now we want to develop a new theme with the app in mind, but we dont want the theme to be used anywhere outside of the app to give it a special look

this is in no way a small thing

In the grand scheme of things a mobile specific style for use only with this app is a small thing. I would rather have bugs fixed and the app be stable before something like this is even added. When you say we you aren't talking for everyone. You are talking for yourself and maybe a small handful of others.

I downloaded this app Planet-9 Enthusiast Club
from
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/planet-9-enthusiast-club/id1002276472?mt=8
But I can't register ... as there is a
Challenge: ______________
question that needs an answer ... but the question isn't visible.
Obviously the workaround would be to sign up via the web ... but that shouldn't be required.

As well, Planet-9 is a vBulletin forum ... so it's not really a good demo for Xenforo users.

As well ... there is no link on this image .. what is the Site ?
secsportzonemini-png.120346

not small at all, right now the app uses mobile interface, thats cool...now we want to develop a new theme with the app in mind, but we dont want the theme to be used anywhere outside of the app to give it a special look

this is in no way a small thing

I agree -- the ability to choose a particular style would be a killer feature, because it would allow sites to rapidly tailor the app to their needs, without vbresults' devs needing to do anything, and without waiting for app store updates.

Just so the use case is clearly understood, in our own particular forum, our plan would be to create a custom style just for the app, and really cut it down to improve the user's experience (since 90% of the time people are just checking for new posts or writing quick replies)

So, let me get this straight, this add on is virtually the same thing when browsing a website in responsive as we currently do for the most part except you can get to that site with the click of an app button from your phone? If that is the case, unless someone creates a similar add on like Tapatalk its rendered useless. The whole idea is the ease of use with TT on a mobile device. Thats it! People don't use TT because its one click solution to get to a website from a mobile device. Its because responsive is not "really" mobile friendly, and sucks, pardon my french, its "better" with responsive, but surely not the answer.

which is why, a skin enforced to the app from acp will work wonder and change this mentality

I have no problem with a "mobile" theme coming but at this point I'd rather get things polished up and bugs ironed out. Right now having a bug free experience should be top priority.

which is why, a skin enforced to the app from acp will work wonder and change this mentality

exactly -- i am certain that with some development time, either I or someone else in this community will develop a stripped-down style that could work as well as tapatalk ever did. (if we do it first, i'd be happy to share.) Such a style placed within this add-on, with push notifications and published to the app stores would blow away tapatalk, which has shortcomings that we are all familiar with.

Being able to select and enforce a style sounds like a small change, but it actually would be a game-changer for a lot of people, and I suspect would spur more purchases.

i even pm'd developer saying im willing to pay for this

this will take the app to a level tapatalk can only dream off..imagine people creating "app" themes

come on man...

I'd be willing to throw in something too... I think a small ecosystem of styles will pop up around this particular add-on if he adds this one feature. Which can only help sales.

(I suspect the xenforo devs underestimate how much we all hate tapatalk and want to exit as soon as it is technically feasible. :) )

Come on @vbresults respond to my pm :cry:

BTW, i can understand if he has reluctance to let people pick their own style, as they could hose the app if they don't know what they are doing.

Yet, if it was an 'unsupported' feature, I'd be totally cool with it. You've got to assume people who are willing to roll their own style are capable enough to handle it, or face the consequences.

But its impossible to effect it, its running the site theme anyway

What i'm saying is, if it allowed a custom theme one could easily screw up that theme to make the app inoperable. If you don't know what you are doing. Which may be what they are concerned about. The reality is though, giving us control over a custom theme would make this add-on 100x more useful, and would allow us to rapidly update it without the need for resubmission to the app store all the time.

but same theory can be done now with the mobile site..i can make the app theme the mobile site now..but i dont want anyone to have access to the theme i made except within the app..at least we need @vbresults to give us his feedback

im willing to pay money

Correct -- this is what I would like to see too, the ability to have a theme that would never be used outside the app. So we could have total control over the appearance in-app and don't have to worry about 'breaking' the regular web view. (In our theme I would strip out a huge amount of the chrome just to give my members exactly what they want -- the new posts, and a quick way to respond. the rest is just fluff for us.)

Out of curiousity, how does this handle external links? For example, if a YouTube video is embedded and a user clicks on the video to go YouTube.com, is YouTube.com launched in the app webview wrapper or does it launch the device's browser app?

Top Bottom