Trying to verify server requirements before buying XF2

tourmeister

I plan to buy XF2 if I can verify that it will run on my server. I am using a Hostgator VPS (Snappy 8000 plan) that has the latest versions of PHP and MySQL installed. I want to locate the forum software here,

/home/twtexco/public_html/forums/

I've uploaded the xenforo_requirements.php to both the /public_html and the /public_html/forums directories. When I try to run the script with my browser, pointing to either directory, I get an Internal Server Error 500. In Googling, I have found a few references to permission settings in the server directory structure as being a possible cause, but I cannot find anything that tells me what the permissions should be for all the levels of directories starting from /home on down to the /forums level.

I am able to run a simple script that executes the phpinfo command to see all the info about the php install. I am also able to load a basic index.html file. Both are located in the /public_html directory.

I have access to my server using Virtuozzo Automater (came with server package). So I am able to view/modify permissions. I don't know how to do it so I can have permissions applied to a top level directory also apply to any/all subdirectories. I am not sure how to view the server error logs in a readable format? I found the file, but it is almost impossible to read as there is no formatting at all.

I am VERY new to managing a server. I've been running my forum for 15 years, but always had someone else that handled the server admin stuff for me. That is no longer the case, so now I am trying to learn it on the fly and it is like drinking from a fire hose on the wide open setting!! I am NOT a coder/programmer, so instructions need to be pretty basic for me.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated!

Top Bottom