What are the server requirements needed to make this forum run fast?

xffutureuser

Hello,

As I am moving from crappy vB5 to XenForo I also want to change the hosting company. Because their servers are very slow. And also the vB5 is very slow, so a deadly combination.

I mean how much CPU do I need, how much RUM, bandwidth or what else is necessary to be sure that XF will run fast?

Or is there any recommended VPS hosting company?

Please let me know, thanks.

Hello,

As I am moving from crappy vB5 to XenForo I also want to change the hosting company. Because their servers are very slow. And also the vB5 is very slow, so a deadly combination.

I mean how much CPU do I need, how much RUM, bandwidth or what else is necessary to be sure that XF will run fast?

Or is there any recommended VPS hosting company?

Please let me know, thanks.
i recomended knownhost https://xenforo.com/community/threa...rfect-for-any-size-xenforo-deployment.147115/

@MattW can setup you up nicely. He is well known on these forums for his hosting and setup.

For new sites shared hosting will do. If you want to pay for a nice setup I highly recommend 4 gb of RAM, preferably SSD storage, run your site on php 7 and make use of page caching. Also I suggest this free CDN called cloudflare which speeds up your site and also protects it from intruders as well as their new DDoS protection on free plans which is basically protection from someone who would hold your website offline using a method referred to as DDoS attack. It makes everything run fast. https://www.cloudflare.com

But yeah a site could do well on shared hosting alone if there aren't many users at first but if you want a nice setup to start a site 4 GB of RAM is plenty and perfect for what you need.

For new sites shared hosting will do. If you want to pay for a nice setup I highly recommend 4 gb of RAM, preferably SSD storage, run your site on php 7 and make use of page caching. Also I suggest this free CDN called cloudflare which speeds up your site and also protects it from intruders as well as their new DDoS protection on free plans which is basically protection from someone who would hold your website offline using a method referred to as DDoS attack. It makes everything run fast. https://www.cloudflare.com

But yeah a site could do well on shared hosting alone if there aren't many users at first but if you want a nice setup to start a site 4 GB of RAM is plenty and perfect for what you need.
How do you set up cloudflare to just affect the visitors?

Some sites I know use it and you keep having to login which is annoying, but they arent XF

How do you set up cloudflare to just affect the visitors?

Some sites I know use it and you keep having to login which is annoying, but they arent XF

I'm not exactly sure what your asking. But you definitely don't have to keep logging in to use it on your site. You just set up an account and point the DNS to your domain and add in their custom name servers in your domain registrar and from there it's set up.

Once you set up the DNS which is the only part that's required your site is good to go. You can then install something called mod_cloudflare which is an apache module from your ssh client that will show the real visitors IP addresses. There are numerous options for security and speed you just have to choose what you want.

I'm not exactly sure what your asking. But you definitely don't have to keep logging in to use it on your site. You just set up an account and point the DNS to your domain and add in their custom name servers in your domain registrar and from there it's set up.

Once you set up the DNS which is the only part that's required your site is good to go. You can then install something called mod_cloudflare which is an apache module from your ssh client that will show the real visitors IP addresses. There are numerous options for security and speed you just have to choose what you want.
I mean if you use it your site it can mess up loged in users, they get logged out and shown a cached page as if they are a visitor. It was supposed to not cache logged in users, but it didn't seem to work well.

I enabled it, had issues and now its just paused.

When we had the free version of cloudflare set up, we kept getting freezeups and taking lots of time to access things. After about a week or so, gave up and got rid of it.

Why don't you migrate your forum first, see if was actually only vB causing the latency. If there is still latency and you are able to optimize the server than give it a shot, or, if on shared and cannot, then migrate to the new server.

Weird you guys are having issues because I've had my site up for 9 months and it hasn't gone down a single time to my knowledge. I usually keep minify js off and I don't use the rocket loader which is probably your issue. The rocket loader and minify js have been known to cause problems. I failed to mention that in my post.

Yeah I had it too, way back. Easy to live without it and the frequent down time it causes. Note to the OP: You don't need cloudflare to improve speed, on a modern XF instance especially.
Yeah I agree you don't need it, but it would be handy to have the odd time theres a huge spike to serve the visitors cached pages

It's not worth ANY amount of down time. And with CF, there's a lot.

I don't want to argue because this is a pre-sales thread but that's not true. I haven't had any down time ever on CF keeping the rocket loader off. I never used it because there's always a caching issue that messes with the javascript on the page and does exactly as you were stating previously but that's the only reason that happens is the rocket loader and it does speed up your site just as long as you keep the rocket loader off. There are a lot of web hosts that have cloudflare installed already when you use shared hosting in cpanel. And it's for good reason because it really is the best free protection service. You just need to keep the rocket loader off.

Could you live without it, probably so but it does make a difference in protection and speed to a degree

First two steps in making your forum really fast:
  1. make sure your host uses SSD for files
  2. ensure you have enough RAM to allow you to hold the entire database in memory (InnoDB caching)
Optimising your database server is going to see significant performance gains - run a tool like http://mysqltuner.com/ to give you some basic guidance.

It's depend on how large is your forum, your configuration. A forum should not require much CPU, RAM is matter, so just make sure you have enough RAM to cache, database... Now SSD is a must to speed up your forum. You can use Centmin Mod by @eva2000 , ton of tutorials for XenForo are waiting for you at Centmin Mod community :rolleyes: Enable pagespeed, redis cache, brotli, and PHP_PGO your forum will ready to go.

It's depend on how large is your forum, your configuration. A forum should not require much CPU, RAM is matter, so just make sure you have enough RAM to cache, database... Now SSD is a must to speed up your forum. You can use Centmin Mod by @eva2000 , ton of tutorials for XenForo are waiting for you at Centmin Mod community :rolleyes: Enable pagespeed, redis cache, brotli, and PHP_PGO your forum will ready to go.
I use centminmod over at turborenault.co.uk.

Its a bit quick!

Top Bottom