1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to replace posts/messages when they're rendered

Discussion in 'XenForo Development Discussions' started by SneakyDave, Aug 15, 2016.

1. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Well-Known Member

There are probably a lot of examples like this in the RM, but I can't seem to find any to provide me an example of this.

At a basic level, all I want to do is change the content of posts/messages displayed on a page. Not the db values, just as they are rendered.

Using the thread view as a starting point, I thought I could simply extend the model that retrieves posts to massage this data, but I think there is some caching going on, because the $content never seems to be updated with the text I have set for the posts in the thread view controller.

Would using a template modification on the "message" template work better?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

My first instinct would be to check out the censor function.

SneakyDave likes this.
  3. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

4. SneakyDave

Hey Andy, thanks a lot. That provided a lot of information.

It seems though that there's a post cache that needs to be refreshed too, I found (from your addon) that I can change the _params['post'][$key]['message'], but the _params['post'][$key]['message_parsed'] is actually what may be used in htmlRender().

Not a big deal, probably better to leave the cache in place for performance, but I can't tell how long it's kept. That's probably why my idea in the first post wasn't working.

EDIT:
    Actually Andy, I don't believe your addon works quite the way you have intended it to. It's the same problem I'm having.

In your add-on, if you censor a word, and then have just a certain usergroup affected by that censor (say, the unregistered user group), other usergroups will still see the censor affect, at least in my testing it does. Even if I have the add-on permisison set to "No/Never".

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  5. SneakyDave

Whoops, never mind @AndyB, your add-on works correctly, I had confused xenforo's native censor function with your addon. Back to some testing.

Regarding the caching, it seems that if I disable the "cache bbcode output" that fixes the issue.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016