Trying to determine member number . . .

LuvMeSumZen

I hope this is the correct forum . . .

I'm running a giveaway for my members, the winner will be the member who guesses when the 2000th member will join. We only need 10 more members so it could happen tomorrow night when none of our mods or myself are watching. I know the user/member numbers don't match because some spammers never got deleted and other reasons I don't really understand. How would it be possible for me to know who the member is that joins, and actually turns the 'counter' over to 2000 if none of us actually see it?

If I wake up and there's 2003 members showing on the forum stats I can look at the Newest Members area and count back - is that the best (only?) way?

Use phpMyAdmin. Look at the xf_user table.

Just hover your cursor over the members name and in the URL it will show their user_id number.

Last edited:
Surely the 2000th member who joins is ID 2000?

Granted you may have less than 2000 currently registered members due to deleting spammers, etc. but the 2000th member who registered is still ID 2000.

Surely the 2000th member who joins is ID 2000?

Granted you may have less than 2000 currently registered members due to deleting spammers, etc. but the 2000th member who registered is still ID 2000.

Not even close. We moved our database from mybb recently and maybe mybb did not count users the same because I had two admin accounts and a user account (mybb did not have a test permission feature so al us mods had a "user" account) - like I said they do not match.

I use Firefox. It displays the URL on the bottom when you hover over a link.

However looking at the forum stats only shows the last person to register. The only way you can see who the 2000th registered member is to use phpMyAdmin.

Andy I use Opera and FF both simultaneously. Doesn't work in either one. I will attempt the phpmyadmin but I never seem to be able to accomplish what I'm told to do in there without someone holding my hand. I guess I'm afraid in there.

I will attempt the phpmyadmin but I never seem to be able to accomplish what I'm told to do in there without someone holding my hand. I guess I'm afraid in there.

It's very important that as an admin you get comfortable using phpmyadmin.

1) Select the database on the left
2) Select the xf_user table
3) Click the user_id tab twice to sort with highest number shown at top

It's very important that as an admin you get comfortable using phpmyadmin.

That much I know. That's why I've asked numerous members here to tutor me and offered to pay for the privilege - you included. But I know we all have lives and it's catch as catch can. Just remember that about me too. I'll take what I can get with no complaints.

As Andy has stated, you'll need to use phpmyadmin to find the 2000th member.

The OP is correct in that the 2000th user won't necessarily have ID 2000. I moved from phpBB and I have IDs 3 - 54 missing because they were robots (that's how phpBB created them). Also I delete any zero posters or those who don't confirm their registration if they haven't done so after a few months. That also leaves gaps in the ID numbers.

If I wake up and there's 2003 members showing on the forum stats I can look at the Newest Members area and count back - is that the best (only?) way?

If new registrations are growing at a slow pace I suspect this will be the easiest way for you to approach it (especially if you're not comfortable with phpmyadmin).

Just go to the newest registrations and work back. (y)

This query will do it.

Code:
mysql> SELECT user_id, username, DATE_FORMAT(FROM_UNIXTIME(register_date), "%b %e, %Y - %H:%i:%s") AS register_date FROM xf_user ORDER BY user_id LIMIT 2000, 1;
+---------+----------+------------------------+
| user_id | username | register_date          |
|    2191 | samuboy  | Nov 5, 2004 - 08:34:01 |
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

Top Bottom