Trending Content [Unsupported]

Trending Content [Unsupported] [Paid] 3.0.0 Beta 5

No permission to buy (£20.00)
99% of my users are only reading, so only counting replies is not really accurate.
There's another algorithm option that factors in views per hour since thread creation as well. Granted, old content gets diluted still but it's relevant.

I have threads with hundreds of thousands of views. Some currently attract views. Others do not. Obviously its only the threads that are currently attracting views that are trending.

I have threads with hundreds of thousands of views. Some currently attract views. Others do not. Obviously its only the threads that are currently attracting views that are trending.
I understand. Replies per hour count more than views per hour (if I recall, without looking at the file, it's 3x more). But it goes give you the chance to give views some weight. I still plan to add more algorithm options, just a matter of thinking of them (and it being feasible for the query to execute).

A cut off time is part of the concept of trending, because only current popularity has any relevance.

Right. And posts since start date isn't really helpful since a dormant thread could spring to life all of a sudden.
Well, now I think I'm misunderstanding what you want, since now it seems you don't want thread that are older than x days to appear. That feature is already done.

No, it has to be a whole number. You could change the option type to accept decimals though and it would work. Just to clarify, that's thread start date though, not most recent post.

No, it has to be a whole number. You could change the option type to accept decimals though and it would work. Just to clarify, that's thread start date though, not most recent post.
So if I put in 365 for any thread up to a year ago, how will it define what is trending? I'm completely ****ing lost here as to why you think we're talking about the same thing.

If you put 365 for the max age. It'll look at all threads started in the past year and order them based on number of replies (or number of views or a combo of the two) divided by the number of hours elapsed from the thread start date until the current time).

I didn't say this was exactly what you wanted. I feel like what you want is to use the most recent reply time rather than the thread start date but one of your posts seemed to contradict that but I may have misunderstood it.

I never meant to imply that this feature was what you were referring to, I was just trying to explain to you what it does since you didn't seem to notice it.

If you put 365 for the max age. It'll look at all threads started in the past year and order them based on number of replies (or number of views or a combo of the two) divided by the number of hours elapsed from the thread start date until the current time).

I didn't say this was exactly what you wanted. I feel like what you want is to use the most recent reply time rather than the thread start date but one of your posts seemed to contradict that but I may have misunderstood it.

I never meant to imply that this feature was what you were referring to, I was just trying to explain to you what it does since you didn't seem to notice it.
I'm sorry. I might not be explaining this properly. What I'm looking for is a way to show threads that are trending, and by trending I mean have had a number of replies to them, within a specific time frame, preferably a few hours, no matter the age, popularity, number of likes, etc.. Simply what threads have been popular for the past X number of hours. So, for example, I have 7 threads that have been replied to since I've visited 4 hours ago. Thread one has 9 replies since then, thread two has 1, thread three has 22, thread four has 50, thread five has 2, thread six 17, and thread 7 has 3. The widget would then list in descending order threads four, three, six, one, and seven, since those have been the 5 most replied to threads within that time frame.

This any clearer?

Makes sense, and that's what I was thinking you were wanting to do originally. I misread something you said a couple of posts back. Including the ability to set constraints for how recent the last post needs to be would not be very difficult. I'm also going to turn the max thread age option into a decimal field so you can convert to hours as well if you want threads no older than a few hours.

Great add-on Daniel , I've been using it live for a month or so.

One request, would it be possible to add a feature whereby a specific URL request would dump out the trending topics as per settings but for a guest permissions, in either CSV / XML / JSON format so that it can be grabbed and used on other places around a website outside of the XF tree?

Cheers :)

You can put the widget anywhere. With that said, it likely won't look great in that area due to how it's designed but because the add-on allows you to pick a template to display with, you could really make a template specifically for that area.

Sorry I forgot to respond to your initial post.

You can put the widget anywhere. With that said, it likely won't look great in that area due to how it's designed but because the add-on allows you to pick a template to display with, you could really make a template specifically for that area.

Sorry I forgot to respond to your initial post.

That's awesome that it's possible to use a custom template for the widget... I'm going to see if I can make the widget look like this for the top of our homepage:

Screenshot at Jul 23 17-53-44.webp

Currently that "Active Today" tab just sorts based on number of replies. Would love to use this add-on's widget instead. I'll see what I can come up with.

Top Bottom