XF 2.2 Transparent Avatar FIXED?

MapleOne

Hey guys....

There have been numerous discussions how Xenforo places transparant avatars onto white backgrounds.

See this topic...

I found quite an interesting situation where my transparent avatar does the same..

Once uploaded it looks like this

Screenshot (4).webp

However, when I have the shades of grey skin installed

then my avatar looks like this...

Screenshot (5).webp

It becomes transparent on the black background

I know a number of us have been looking for a way to preserve the transparent background on avatars and I found it interesting that the shades of grey skin does it.

Now all we have to do is isolate what does it and see if we can implement it on the default skin.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I just checked it on our forum.

My avatar, with a transparent background, remains transparent when set as an avatar.

Checked with both our light and dark styles/themes.

XenForo 2.2.7.

Our light and dark styles are from here:

We did modify some of the colours of these themes ourselves, but, we never altered any properties with the avatars themselves.

Checking how these, or, The Shades Of Grey dark theme/style, differ with avatar properties from XenForo 2 default properties, is probably where the answer to your question would be.

You don't notice it with the 15% cropped round avatar.

Set it to 5% like in my example above and you will see it adds a white background.
The avatar in my example above is a perfect circle on a transparent background. After upload on the default skin it adds the white background.

We use squarish avatars on my forum but my avatar is a circle and in a perfect world the background would be transparent.
I like to let users select round or square without having everything default to round.

Nope, that's not it.

My avatar has space on it in which you would notice any issues with transparency, regardless of cropping.

Whatever is done with the Sultan Themes, like the Shades Of Grey theme, also addresses whichever properties is causing the issue you have observed with the default XenForo theme settings.

Whatever is done with the Sultan Themes, like the Shades Of Grey theme

Keep in mind I am looking for a solution on the default skin.

I don't doubt it different on your Sultan theme because it is also fixed on shades of grey.

On the default skin however, the transparent avatars look terrible.

Keep in mind I am looking for a solution on the default skin.

I understand.

My suggestion is this:

Checking how these [The Sultan Themes], or, The Shades Of Grey dark theme/style, differ with avatar properties from XenForo 2 default properties, is probably where the answer to your question would be.

There might be some code in the admin-control-panel pertaining to avatars which could help further identify and/or fix the problem.

Compare and contrast those segments of code in the XenForo 2 default theme and with a theme that doesn't have the avatar transparency issue (like Sahdoes Of Grey).

Just wanted to let everyone know there is a super easy fix to avatars not being transparant

Screenshot - 2022-06-11T151738.736.png

Just type transparent into this field and the avatar background will be transparent.

This is assuming you uploaded a transparent background avatar.

I did it on my board and the avatar shape no longer has the white background.

Last edited:
Top Bottom