TPU: Detect and Block Spam Registrations

TPU: Detect and Block Spam Registrations 1.6.6

No permission to download
Will definitely port this to XF2 once we are getting closer to release and I start using it for my own forum

Can't wait! This add-on is one of the best XenForo add-ons out there. I've been using it for a year now, and the amount of spam (particularly from India and Pakistan) that it has prevented is amazing! Truly an amazing, amazing add-on!

Getting this error when someone tries to register. I'm using @Xon's version mentioned here: https://xenforo.com/community/threa...spam-registrations.70418/page-15#post-1135829

Code:
Server Error Log
Error Info
ErrorException: gethostbyaddr(): Address is not a valid IPv4 or IPv6 address - library/TPUDetectSpamReg/Hostname.php:11
Generated By: Unknown Account, 1 minute ago
Stack Trace
#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(2, 'gethostbyaddr()...', '/home/dir/publ...', 11, Array)
#1 /home/dir/public_html/library/TPUDetectSpamReg/Hostname.php(11): gethostbyaddr('')
#2 [internal function]: TPUDetectSpamReg_Hostname::getRegSpamScore(Array, Array, '1', '0', Object(TPUDetectSpamReg_ModelSpamPrevention))
#3 /home/dir/public_html/library/XenForo/CodeEvent.php(90): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#4 /home/dir/public_html/library/TPUDetectSpamReg/ModelSpamPrevention.php(67): XenForo_CodeEvent::fire('tpu_detect_spam...', Array)
#5 /home/dir/public_html/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Register.php(1426): TPUDetectSpamReg_ModelSpamPrevention->allowRegistration(Array, Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http))
#6 /home/dir/public_html/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Register.php(401): XenForo_ControllerPublic_Register->_runSpamCheck(Object(LiveUpdate_DataWriter_User), Array)
#7 /home/dir/public_html/library/UserEss/ControllerPublic/Register.php(68): XenForo_ControllerPublic_Register->actionRegister()
#8 /home/dir/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(351): UserEss_ControllerPublic_Register->actionRegister()
#9 /home/dir/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#10 /home/dir/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#11 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(51) "https://www.domain.com/register/register"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(17) {
    ["username"] => string(0) ""
    ["e534e17d4a011e59507d2df6e4f7c843"] => string(13) "username02"
    ["f7aa788fabeb0373d4273209adfe6dc5"] => string(0) ""
    ["8cce925065c9b8376c72c985d9fd3b7f"] => string(27) "username@domain.com"
    ["33c00a49f9cf231d7f5a8c561e3bc2f3"] => string(0) ""
    ["dob_month"] => string(1) "0"
    ["dob_day"] => string(0) ""
    ["dob_year"] => string(0) ""
    ["location"] => string(7) "Home"
    ["859fbac9bd0c699961e8d696d478b249"] => array(3) {
      ["UserSource"] => string(0) ""
      ["Secret_Word"] => string(4) "Twinky"
      ["vxnlclnvdxjjzq"] => string(0) ""
    }
    ["custom_fields_shown"] => array(3) {
      [0] => string(10) "UserSource"
      [1] => string(11) "Secret_Word"
      [2] => string(14) "vxnlclnvdxjjzq"
    }
    ["a02acda79b6a4ff807f328998fed8f4e"] => string(19) "America/Los_Angeles"
    ["captcha_question_answer"] => string(6) "None"
    ["captcha_question_hash"] => string(40) "a704d9fef4d7879575aa0d9cf457afb3831e5fbd"
    ["agree"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["reg_key"] => string(32) "8377936d2adfeaf362960146f0437c3a"
  }
}
Did you ever manage to fix this? I get the same error with version 1.6.6. It doesn't occur with version 1.6.4

X2 @W1zzard.

This add-on is more useful than probably any add-on I’ve yet to find.

Please port this over to Xenforo 2, and by all means, make it a paid add-on. You deserve to make money, and I’d be happy to pay for a great add-on such as this. It works so well on my XF1 forum.

+1 Absolutely would be willing to pay for this for XF2.

I'd be willing to pay for an XF2 version as well. We moved one of our 10 forums to XF2 and soon realized how much spam was being stopped by TPU on our XF1 sites. I can't move the rest until we have the ability to block by country, asn, email domains, etc...

I know crowdfunding isn't allowed. But I would also glady pay for this once published if you did a paid version @W1zzard :) Let's say, I don't know, USD 30? Or whatever people on here feel they can manage to muster.

Sounds like a fair price to me. I was going to suggest $25 or $30.

The amount of spam this add-on stops is amazing. Ever since installing it a year ago, I can say with certainty that it blocks 99% of spam registrations. Very, very rarely does a spam registration make it through.

Hi there!

I am hopeless regarding html codes etc. but I have been able to follow this one up to the second code.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/block-spam-completely-with-no-addons.4065/

The first code was put in after the line you provided BUT I put the second code AFTER the line you provided and it did not work. Where the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"s are. It kept reporting error messages. Below is the one I had trouble with.....

I edited the first message to BEFORE instead of AFTER.

You can also block users from filling in the fields on the personal details page (home page, occupation, etc..).

In the account_personal_detailstemplate, find the following,

Code:
<xen:hook name="account_personal_details_information">
And add this beforeit,

Code:
<xen:if is="{$visitor.message_count} < 1">
<h3 style="color:white;background:#f72600;border-radius:2px;padding:2px;text-align:center;">You need to make 1 post to fill in location, occupation and home page, why not <a href="http://yourdomain.com"><u>introduce yourself!</u></a></h3>
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<xen:hook name="account_personal_details_information">
<fieldset>
<dl class="ctrlUnit">
<dt><label for="ctrl_location">{xen:phrase location}:</label></dt>
<dd><input type="text" name="location" value="{$visitor.location}" id="ctrl_location" class="textCtrl OptOut" readonly /></dd>
</dl>

<dl class="ctrlUnit">
<dt><label for="ctrl_occupation">{xen:phrase occupation}:</label></dt>
<dd><input type="text" name="occupation" value="{$visitor.occupation}" id="ctrl_occupation" class="textCtrl OptOut" readonly /></dd>
</dl>

<dl class="ctrlUnit">
<dt><label for="ctrl_homepage">{xen:phrase home_page}:</label></dt>
<dd><input type="url" name="homepage" value="{$visitor.homepage}" id="ctrl_homepage" class="textCtrl" readonly /></dd>
</dl>

<xen:include template="custom_fields_edit" />
</fieldset>
</xen:hook>

<xen:else />

After installing this I notice entries in the Spam Trigger Log for threads and posts that are scanned for spam but don't actually trigger action. These seem unnecessary. Any way to turn that off. I do appreciate the entries for new registrations, even if they pass.

Been running it on my forums for a few months .. wanted to monetize it for public release, but got no time to babysit the payment process etc, so I asked @Xon whether he wants to handle addon sales, he doesn't have time either, so looks like this won't be happening

Top Bottom