1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tooltips not working for me on all XenForo forums

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Wulfspider, May 6, 2013.

1. Wulfspider

Wulfspider Active Member

I'm not sure how this happens, or why it happens, but on ALL XenForo forums, I cannot see any tooltips. Even here at XenForo.com, the tooltips do not work, instead it just shows the title text.

This happens even if I reinstall Windows, but sometimes it does work briefly, so I'm unsure as to what is actually causing it. It only seems to happens in Firefox and Chrome, Internet Explorer shows them properly. I've attempted to remove Chrome and Firefox entirely and then reinstall, but it still doesn't help.

From my testing, it seems to work fine on other computers on my network on all browsers, and I haven't had any other complaints, so that leads me to believe it's something unique on my computer that is causing it, but I don't see why it'd target XenForo. I haven't noticed any other sites performing oddly, and I don't have anything that would be blocking any resources.

See attached images to see what I am talking about.

Attached Files:

2. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

Do you have JavaScript disabled in firefox and chrome?

3. Wulfspider

Wulfspider Active Member

No, it's only tooltips that do not work right, and only on XenForo. Any other site or features work fine.

4. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with one of the laptops I use (Windows 7). For some reason, browsers were seeing the computer as a tablet and not a PC, so tooltips weren't shown. I never did get to the bottom of why this happened. Fortunately the laptop now have works properly.

5. jmurrayhead

Interesting.

Wulfspider - If you have Firebug on Firefox, check the "DOM" tab and click "XenForo". What's the value for "isTouchBrowser"?

6. Wulfspider

Wulfspider Active Member

I don't see "isTouchBrowser" under DOM on both Firefox and Chrome.

7. jmurrayhead

8. Wulfspider

Wulfspider Active Member

9. jmurrayhead

Well that explains your problem. Somehow, it's detecting your browser as touch screen. Why, I'm not sure.

10. Wulfspider

Wulfspider Active Member

Probably because I am using Windows 8? :p I'm not on a laptop, so I have no idea what else it would be. I don't recall having the issue with Windows 7.

jmurrayhead likes this.
  11. jmurrayhead

lol probably. Looks like Mozilla knows about it: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=809396

12. Wulfspider

Wulfspider Active Member

Yup, seems like that would be the cause, although spoofing to another OS doesn't seem to make it change. It would make sense though, because the other computers on my network are using Windows 7 and have no issues.

13. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Using Firefox 22.0a2 (2013-05-06) and all seems fine to me :)

Attached Files:

14. Wulfspider

Wulfspider Active Member

Hmmmmm, doesn't help it for me. Are you using Windows 8?

15. Adam Howard

I'm using Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 9 (64 bit) at the moment with Firefox Aurora (22.0a2 2013-05-06) at this moment, yes. :)

I'm wondering if maybe you're using an add-on in your browser that is conflicting. Or maybe a security program which has mistakenly blocked something (false positive).

16. Wulfspider

Wulfspider Active Member

There aren't any security programs running right now, and I've disabled the majority of the addons in Chrome and there are none in Firefox.

17. Adam Howard

You said you formatted your computer at one point and the issue continued....

.... Something you're adding isn't adding up. Whatever program you installed after re-installing Windows, but before coming to a XenForo site.... Is the issue. No matter if its a disabled add-on or small harmless program.

Something you're doing is being repeated.

18. Adam Howard

19. Wulfspider

Wulfspider Active Member

20. Adam Howard

Then I can't help, but to come back to this

http://xenforo.com/community/thread...r-me-on-all-xenforo-forums.49889/#post-533883

If you've formatted your computer and re-installed Windows, as you said you did (here) and you're still having the issue... Something you're installing or setting up before coming here, is the issue. Does not matter what you're installing or adding, its the issue.

Whatever setting you change or whatever you applied... Don't do it or if possible undo it.