Too many mods on a forum engine is a mistake

AnthonyCea

Don't make the same mistake I did, we ran vB advanced links directory, and now that we are being forced off of vB by the various stunts and blunders by IB we are losing 5 years or so of work and data.

I guess what I am saying is that you should not attach everything to your forum engine, today I wish I would have used a stand alone directory script.

In addition to removing the directory from the forum in anticipation of moving the forum database to new software, we are having problems removing the files and the data from the main database.

If anyone has any ideas or tips on how we can strip the vBA directory files and data from the main forum database I would appreciate you posting them.

Thats why i always prefer very less use of resources simple and clean site . Oh well with xenforo i have no doubt about anything at all :)

I plan to switch to xenForo eventually, and I will face a similar situation as my whole site is built around vB. But I will probably take the opportunity to reduce the scope of my site and focus more on the forum. That will make the conversion much easier.

There is something to be said for simplicity. I think a lot of people (myself included) over-complicate things by adding too many features to their site, many of which are just for show.

How do you strip data from the main forum DB without destroying or damaging it for a future import to another forum platform ??

That is the main question here.

How do you strip data from the main forum DB without destroying or damaging it for a future import to another forum platform ??

That is the main question here.

You just leave it be :) .... usually the installer will uninstall it but if the installer doesn't work then you just leave it be :)

If you had a database that had the extra tables and such in it, and then installed xF and ran the importer wouldn't the extra stuff be left in the old database and not imported into the new xF database?

Wouldn't that import process 'clean' up the database of the unused items?

Jamie

If you had a database that had the extra tables and such in it, and then installed xF and ran the importer wouldn't the extra stuff be left in the old database and not imported into the new xF database?

Wouldn't that import process 'clean' up the database of the unused items?

Jamie
yes.. The importer copies what's needed over to the new db, and leaves the junk behind

You could look at the installation script and see what tables/columns were made and then drop those. Do that on a test site to make sure it didn't affect your data, but I think that would be unnecessary since the importer wouldn't import it anyways.

Jamie

You could look at the installation script and see what tables/columns were made and then drop those. Do that on a test site to make sure it didn't affect your data, but I think that would be unnecessary since the importer wouldn't import it anyways.

Jamie

Too much work :)

Well, certain forum functions are not working at this time, so the files for vB advanced need to be removed, that or we need to get off of the vB script to a clean install and import to new software.

Don't make the same mistake I did, we ran vB advanced links directory, and now that we are being forced off of vB by the various stunts and blunders by IB we are losing 5 years or so of work and data.
Sorry, is losing the right word here ?
Can you export all the links and use them where you want ?
Maybe Brian could write a script that would export the data and you could even display it on a plain HTML page or a Xenforo Pages Page.
I am sure you could import the vBa links data into another php program as well.

Yeah, losing is a good word in this situation or even lost might be better, you may be right on about what you say and it might be worth the effort, but at this point in time I am so discouraged by recent events that I feel like throwing in the towel a lot, since the data is not being indexed by Google at this time you could say it is lost.

One day maybe I put up the old scripts on a test site that is not public and extract the data from the backup DB.

That remains to be seen though.

The beauty though of a DB, is that you can import what you can now, leave it all sit in the DB until the products are developed, then have a conversion script tailored to bring each column and data into the new solution. You don't have to lose, as much as maybe more just having a little patience for alternatives to begin appearing here.

Top Bottom