Too many mods on a forum engine is a mistake

Well Anthony, it is easy to look back with 20/20 vision to see your blunders.

What I am saying here is for the long term success of your portals, forums, websites or what ever you want to call them, don't depend on one script with a zillion plug ins to solve your problems.

I think an all in one software package is not the answer, in fact I had discussed this idea on vB way before vB 4 came out, if they would have made their CMS, Blog, social networking, Photo Gallery modular giving the customer the option of using the modules this would be a much better path than forcing unwanted, unneeded and unused modules on forum administrators.

Don't make the same mistake I did, we ran vB advanced links directory, and now that we are being forced off of vB by the various stunts and blunders by IB we are losing 5 years or so of work and data.

I guess what I am saying is that you should not attach everything to your forum engine, today I wish I would have used a stand alone directory script.

In addition to removing the directory from the forum in anticipation of moving the forum database to new software, we are having problems removing the files and the data from the main database.

If anyone has any ideas or tips on how we can strip the vBA directory files and data from the main forum database I would appreciate you posting them.

Strangely in a similar situation with one IPS install that needs to advance to 3.1.2 but when it does a number of mods we use daily are going to get squashed as the developers have left the IPS community :( Thinking of simply extracting the relevant files and dummying up some input/display scripts, not the best solution but should do the trick :)

Take your point on fully integrated apps, really wish one we use had of been stand alone :( I blame global warming.

Anthony, I had vbAdvanced installed on mine, imported it into XF without a hitch, XF just left the VBA stuff behind. I did NOT uninstall mine but I did disable mine in the back end under manage products. (there is also an uninstall in there for many of them).

I hate putting too many eggs into one basket, so I went with Wordpress for my homepage, and vB for the forum, to avoid just this kind of issue.

I hope you get it solved.

Anthony, I had vbAdvanced installed on mine, imported it into XF without a hitch, XF just left the VBA stuff behind. I did NOT uninstall mine but I did disable mine in the back end under manage products. (there is also an uninstall in there for many of them).
Same here. I think he doesn't want to loose his vBa links directory.
I had the same concern when I went from vB3 to vB4.

I think an all in one software package is not the answer, in fact I had discussed this idea on vB way before vB 4 came out, if they would have made their CMS, Blog, social networking, Photo Gallery modular giving the customer the option of using the modules this would be a much better path than forcing unwanted, unneeded and unused modules on forum administrators.
I agree with this... I thought they would release it as products, the same as the blog was with 3.x and IPB do. I agree... official products that plugin is the ultimate solution, not a complete package without choice.

Same here. I think he doesn't want to loose his vBa links directory.
I had the same concern when I went from vB3 to vB4.

It is already lost along with about 5 years of labor and will not be making a comeback, this is the reason I am telling all of you not to make the same mistake I made in the future.

It would be great if Brian made a way for this software to be exported to a stand alone version with it's own DB, but I guess I am just dreaming.

I know that Photo Post can be run as a stand alone portal or as an integration with forums.

If I had plans to stick with vB for the next decade I would just update all my scripts including vB A links directory, but as we know a lot of us will not buy anything from Mr. Brisco ever again.

I really don't know, I guess the old DB and the scripts would have to be put on a machine to look inside.

There are not a lot of links, maybe 500 at the most, but the meta data and the descriptions that go along with each link are part of the deal too.

I recently converted from vB to IPB and we had to manually restore a few things one by one. We had a cash/money/points system and we had to restore people (actually I put a cash restoration request thread because some people dont even care about virtual forum money). We had an awards system and all 770+ members were manually restored. That took a while but all the staff pitched in on that one. Some stuff was lost.. Like the arcade high scores and thank-you's but nobody seems to be bothered by it. The community seems to be happy to be on a nice solid software. Also, Ive installed all the extra's we had before plus a couple of new ones. :)

I really don't know, I guess the old DB and the scripts would have to be put on a machine to look inside.

There are not a lot of links, maybe 500 at the most, but the meta data and the descriptions that go along with each link are part of the deal too.
Anthony, do you have a backup of the database from before all this happened? Or maybe your host might? If so, the links and such could be pulled from the SQL file and reuploaded.

Yes Elizabeth, that is why I mentioned if I ever want to pull the old data I could put it up on a non-public install with the old vB and vBa scripts and pull the data somehow from that test, maybe I ask Brian the best way to extract the links data from the this central forum DB.

Maybe just export the vBa links table to excel so you have them for future reference?

Top Bottom