Too many I/O - Server keeps going down.

Historical

From time to time my website goes down for a couple of seconds and then comes back up again. I called my hosting company (GoDaddy) and they checked their servers and said there is nothing wrong. So I went into my cPanel to check what could be the issue and this is what I found:

"You had 1024 I/O usage out of 1024 max I/O usage allowed"

He (GoDaddy) told me that this most likely has to do with one of my plugins (I use XF and phpBB (same host, different domain).

On my XenForo I use, 6 addons and on phpBB I use 0. This problem existed before I installed phpBB so it has to be related to either XenForo or one of the addons I use (most likely the addons).

How am I supposed to diagnose this though? I've disabled my addons and I still have the problem. Is there any tool I can use for XenForo that tells me how much resources each addon has used? Can my .htaccess be causing this? (I have some additional stuff in my .htaccess for headers, cache, compress etc).

Help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

If your site has more then just a few users online, your issue isn't xenForo, the issue more is your using GoDaddy. If you PM me your domain name, I can check it out for you to see if it's anything in your .htaccess, though that shouldn't really have much effect.

If your site has more then just a few users online, your issue isn't xenForo, the issue more is your using GoDaddy. If you PM me your domain name, I can check it out for you to see if it's anything in your .htaccess, though that shouldn't really have much effect.
My forum has 30 members. I'll pm you the link.

Enable debug mode to get an idea of what the add-ons are doing in terms of queries, memory, etc.

Click the debug link at the bottom of each page.
Yup, I did that and got some help as well from Mike Edge. He didn't see anything that might be of concern but I had compress (deflate) of all files in my .htaccess which could have been causing it according to some so I removed that part. We'll see how it goes.

Mike Edge is right on here, it is absolutely GoDaddy. I don't know what the 1024 is as far as their panel is concerned, but with CloudLinux or similar, that is 1MB/sec. That is a ridiculously low setting, and is going to get you into trouble.

Setup your community to serve jquery from an external source like google: acp> performance > external. I have setup my forum to serve static content (everything which is not .php) from CDN. So my server only serves php requests. This is a huge help. This setup would work if you have to stay with your current plan. But this is not the case I guess.

Definitely compress all text files (html output from .php requests - xenforo does that - along with robots.txt, especially css and javascript).

Having said that, You should find a reliable hoster for your small community for a single digit monthly hosting plan.

Top Bottom