Today two guys spammed in my forum

garry420

namaskar everyone,

Today two guys filled my forum with spam posts..there were around 500 posts ..it took around 1-2 hour to delete all those crap..
sadly i dono much about these guys.
they used different IP''s
i don't understand what do these guys get by spamming some religious forum ?
sadly i get very less time for the forum and what i got today was utilized in deleting spam comments
I had purchased two more domains for forums but i think ..i will wait for some time now.coz i might not get enough time to take care of all of them
thanks and regards
ram ram

namaskar everyone,

Today two guys filled my forum with spam posts..there were around 500 posts ..it took around 1-2 hour to delete all those crap..
sadly i dono much about these guys.
they used different IP''s
sadly i get very less time for the forum and what i got today was utilized in deleting spam comments
I had purchased two more domains for forums but i think ..i will wait for some time now.coz i might not get enough time to take care of all of them
thanks and regards
ram ram

There are several antispam mods in case you would want to look into strengthen the security of your forum in regard of spammers.

namaskar everyone,

It has nothing to do with your forum content. Most are from China and probably don't even read English. They're simply posting spam in hopes of either selling cheap crap or simply stealing credit card info.

They're everywhere, most of us constantly battle them. Don't take it personally, they spam any forum they find.

Oh, and if you think Spam is bad with Xenforo, just be glad you're not running Vbulletin. I just switched over a small and little used forum that was constantly being spammed. In the last week only two people have managed to register. Both were caught by the spam filters and placed in the moderation queue. Compared to Vbulletin, Xenforo is like Fort Knox!

thanks for so many answers
well I saw a video in which it was shown that whenever someone spams option spam appears in the bottom of the post but that was not the case with these two spammers
they spammed with 500+ posts and i came in and banned them else they would had taken numbers to even thousands.
I dono how to run spam cleaner all in one to say..
I think there should be a youtube channel of xenforo community to guide people.
today also there was spammer but i saw the spam mark below his post and ran it with spam cleaner
thanks

upload_2014-4-24_11-20-0.webp

The values don't need to be set at 0; that just makes it available all the time for every member.

In most cases, with active moderation, the default values will work as the spammers will be noticed before they amass more posts than the max value is set to.
Or, for less actively moderated sites, increase the values.

The values don't need to be set at 0; that just makes it available all the time for every member.

In most cases, with active moderation, the default values will work as the spammers will be noticed before they amass more posts than the max value is set to.
Or, for less actively moderated sites, increase the values.

These spammers joined long before they started posting. I think they purposely wait until after the default time period.

So far I've not had any spammers, probably since I just switched the site over from VBulletin. (The site had been hammered hard with VB. For the past week or so, I've been watching the online guests show 8 or 10 people at a time "registering" and not a single one getting through. I really kind of enjoyed that... Seems like they've started to give up, there are far less now.)

Using the "build it and they will come" assumption, what's the best way to add more spam protection if/when I need it?

We've been using the TAC complete mod, very happy with it.

Yeah we use Tenants plugin as well just the Foolbot HoneyPot though rarely need much more. About the only time anyone gets through its an obvious manual human registration which is then passed to a bot.

Actually had it block a guy who was spamming our site with his anger due to the Tor IP's being reported for spam in the past. Currently have all Tor traffic blocked though he went away about 2 IP's after we did that.

Yeah we use Tenants plugin as well just the Foolbot HoneyPot though rarely need much more. About the only time anyone gets through its an obvious manual human registration which is then passed to a bot.

Actually had it block a guy who was spamming our site with his anger due to the Tor IP's being reported for spam in the past. Currently have all Tor traffic blocked though he went away about 2 IP's after we did that.

OK for the new guy... "Tenants plugin" Got a link? Is that the same as TAC complete?

"Currently have all Tor traffic blocked" How/where did you do that?

OK for the new guy... "Tenants plugin" Got a link? Is that the same as TAC complete?

"Currently have all Tor traffic blocked" How/where did you do that?
Tenants is the developer so you can look at all he has to offer but TAC is Tenants Antispam Collection and has all his stuff.

Tor publishes their exit node IPs which is the IP in which a Tor user would appear to a server. You can get this from one of 2 sources once an hour. Right now manually inserting this into an htaccess which does slow requests a bit.

Currently writing a plugin that will update the IP list every hour. Handle everything at the forum level. This will offer a varying degree of control. Instead of blocking all traffic you could block only registration For example but still allow people to browse or existing users to login. I intend to be able to log them as a metric, you might want to gauge how many people would be effected by a block at a particular time or identify the trouble makers IP source the day he starts switching to Tor. Other things on my mind include being able to show a notice to Tor users such as maybe you want to remind people that logging into the forum both on their own IP and Tor could compromise anonymity.

Top Bottom