Fixed Title Case Missing on "Discuss this Resource" and "View this Message / Conversation" Buttons

Amaury

I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, so I figured I'd report it to see.

The word "this" is not a preposition and should therefore be capitalized in a title. Since "Resource" and "Message" are capitalized, I know the buttons are going with title case.

I'm sure everyone knows what and where the "Discuss this Resource" button is. The "View this Message" button, however, is in the e-mail notifications.

I know this is trivial, but, again, I figured I'd report it.

Edit: "View this Conversation" as well. It's also in e-mail notifications -- specifically, the PC ones.

Last edited:
Argh. "Watch this Resource" as well.

Should I have made separate threads for all of these? Jeremy just told me to do what I saw fit, and I bundled them together because they were pretty much the same thing.

In general, it's not as definitive as this -- articles are generally not capitalized (the being the most obvious one, but this is the same class). However, then you often end up with rules which say capitalize words of 4+ letters, even if they normally wouldn't be. Some styles may say 5+ or not have any rules regarding this. You can see some discussion of different styles on these pages:

http://grammar.about.com/od/tz/g/Title-Case.htm
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/14/which-words-in-a-title-should-be-capitalized

We do have some inconsistency here though (look below: Share This Page). I lean towards capitalizing it to be more consistent -- I just need to see if I can track down phrases matching this pattern...

In general, it's not as definitive as this -- articles are generally not capitalized (the being the most obvious one, but this is the same class). However, then you often end up with rules which say capitalize words of 4+ letters, even if they normally wouldn't be. Some styles may say 5+ or not have any rules regarding this. You can see some discussion of different styles on these pages:

http://grammar.about.com/od/tz/g/Title-Case.htm
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/14/which-words-in-a-title-should-be-capitalized

We do have some inconsistency here though (look below: Share This Page). I lean towards capitalizing it to be more consistent -- I just need to see if I can track down phrases matching this pattern...

Thank you, Mike.

Yeah, everyone says something different. For example, it's the Chicago manual of style that says, regardless of length, capitalize all non-prepositions, such as is, and don't capitalize all prepositions, such as about -- unless they're at the beginning or end, of course -- in a title.

In the long run, though, regardless of what you choose, it's a matter of staying consistent. I tend to look at this to see whether I need to capitalize something or not in a title when it's not as obvious as to, the, of, etc. However, things get more complicated because some prepositions, such as up, can also be used as adjectives, which are capitalized.

Some sections / sentences from the up hyperlink above. (It contains an audio player, by the way, if you're interested in listening while you work.) Isn't the English language fun? xD

Grammar Girl said:
Capitalize the first word of the title, the last word of the title, and all nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, subordinating conjunctions, and a few conjunctions. Prepositions are only capitalized if they are used adjectivally or adverbially. For example you’d capitalize the word “up” in a title that read “Squiggly Looked Up a Word” but not in a title that read “Squiggly Walked up the Mountain.

Grammar Girl said:
(You can see one of the major differences between Chicago and AP style is that in Chicago style, a long preposition such as “between” would not usually be capitalized, whereas in AP style, it would.)

Last edited:
@Mike: Just saw this was fixed, so thanks!

As I'm still seeing them lowercase in the e-mails, it probably hasn't been rolled out here yet, huh? :)

There we go.

Also, can a staff member simplify the thread title to Title Case Missing on Some Buttons? Thanks!

Top Bottom