TinyMCE issues with Japanese input (especially IME)

Dominion

I set up my forums on the internet a week or so ago and got our staff registered so they could help troubleshoot the translation. Within a day they started reporting problems with the editor.

While using the rich-text editor, some of them noticed that the most recent line of previously entered would disappear suddenly, much as described in this bug report. However, they also report that it doesn't always happen after a backspace: in a couple cases hitting Enter does it as well, and one person said it would occasionally happen for no apparent reason.

I had them set their prefs to use the plain text editor by default, and that fixed the text problem of text disappearing. But then they noticed another problem that affects longer posts. When a post hits the 25th line or thereabouts, the text in the editor frame starts to "jitter" each time they type a new character. (One person said it happens much earlier, around the 12th line.) This isn't quite as big a problem as text disappearing, but it's still irritating enough that they fear people will be less interested in participating in the forums.

The people affected by these problems are all using Windows (from XP to 7) and various versions of Microsoft's built-in Japanese language front-end processor, IME. I'm afraid I can't describe the issue in too much more detail, because they all live quite far away.

We hadn't noticed the issues here, but we use OS X and ATOK, our FEP of choice, gets along fine with TinyMCE. I have noticed one small issue when trying to enter text with Kotoeri (Apple's built-in FEP), which is that every now and then the first character or two of a new unconverted line will get adopted by the editor while I'm still typing, which means that it can't be converted as a group with the rest of the line. It's a minor issue, but it's also irritating as it means the line needs to be typed over from the beginning.

We don't have anyone using an Android or Linux system, so I can't speak for them. (These systems still aren't very widespread in Japan, and finding a solution that works for Windows users is going to be a priority in any case.)

I don't know how easy it will be to get TinyMCE fixed or replaced with something else, but just now our entire staff is not thrilled with the idea of using XF for our forums. (I've had them try out the editor in IP.Board 3.2 on Invision's site, and they all report that it works without any issues; so it's pretty clearly an issue with TinyMCE and not IME.) The future's looking grim for Japanese XF. :(

Hi guys, was there any solution found to this? A friend of mine is looking at making a forum in Japanese. I gather there are no language pack available either?

Cheers
Chris

Not as of yet, that I am aware of. It's going to take some vested interest in doing the translation. I personally still haven't run across enough Japanese speakers who be interested in using a true forum. This is mainly why we haven't made much progress in doing a translation ourselves. Text-based sites, such as C-HTML and other anonymous BBS boards are much more popular since most people use the mobile devices to access them.

It is changing with more and more people using Smartphones, but those people usually are using Mixi, Facebook, Twitter or other simplistic anonymous BBS's (think 2chan).

I've got people I could pay to do the work, but the ROI would be in the red for a long time to come.

Not as of yet, that I am aware of. It's going to take some vested interest in doing the translation. I personally still haven't run across enough Japanese speakers who be interested in using a true forum. This is mainly why we haven't made much progress in doing a translation ourselves. Text-based sites, such as C-HTML and other anonymous BBS boards are much more popular since most people use the mobile devices to access them.

It is changing with more and more people using Smartphones, but those people usually are using Mixi, Facebook, Twitter or other simplistic anonymous BBS's (think 2chan).

I've got people I could pay to do the work, but the ROI would be in the red for a long time to come.

Cheers mate - and あけおめ to you.
I've never looked at translating anything board-wise but if my friend likes the look of xenforo instead of something else I may look at doing the translation myself - probably a good bit of Japanese practice too. I'll have a look how it's done anyway, it may just be a major headache to do for no good reason

Hi guys, was there any solution found to this? A friend of mine is looking at making a forum in Japanese. I gather there are no language pack available either?

I had a fairly complete translation done at the time of the OP, about a half year ago. At that point it became clear that using XenForo for our Japanese forums would involve dealing with a couple largish issues (namely the strange editor behavior on certain Windows systems and the need for Japanese text search support) that would take a fair amount of time and effort. So I decided to put XenForo on a back burner and work on other portions of our website first.

Since then I haven't had a chance to return to XenForo, so I can't say whether the TinyMCE update mentioned by Mike earlier in the thread has fixed the issue I described.

I'm not sure I agree with ENF's assessment of the demand for Japanese forum software. There are certainly a few options already available. Two that I've run across (phpBB and the Kunena extension for Joomla) have Japanese translations that are actively maintained. (Both of those also support Japanese text searching, so ultimately we may have to turn regretfully to one of them if we decided we can't afford to move to a VPS solution, which is the only way I've found to get Japanese search ability with XenForo.)

I had a fairly complete translation done at the time of the OP, about a half year ago. At that point it became clear that using XenForo for our Japanese forums would involve dealing with a couple largish issues (namely the strange editor behavior on certain Windows systems and the need for Japanese text search support) that would take a fair amount of time and effort. So I decided to put XenForo on a back burner and work on other portions of our website first.

Since then I haven't had a chance to return to XenForo, so I can't say whether the TinyMCE update mentioned by Mike earlier in the thread has fixed the issue I described.

I'm not sure I agree with ENF's assessment of the demand for Japanese forum software. There are certainly a few options already available. Two that I've run across (phpBB and the Kunena extension for Joomla) have Japanese translations that are actively maintained. (Both of those also support Japanese text searching, so ultimately we may have to turn regretfully to one of them if we decided we can't afford to move to a VPS solution, which is the only way I've found to get Japanese search ability with XenForo.)

Thanks for that mate - that's some really useful info. For mobile stuff it seems that they are working on a mobile style soon, so that's not a biggy though search could indeed be a problem. I'll send over the info of phpBB to my friend - though I remember when I used to use them back in the day, they got hacked badly...

Top Bottom