Not planned Tie Media Category to Forum; thread creation on adding media

LPH

I was expecting to see this add-on function similar to Resources in that a thread would be created when a new media category or album was added to the gallery. Is this a planned feature?

For example, the album XenWord now exists. It would be nice if that media was tied to the XenWord resource in some fashion.

Upvote 7
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Yeah, I would really like to see the ability to have a thread associated with each media item - that's how I've hacked my current Photopost installation to work with vBulletin where all discussion occurs in a thread.

That would help keep gallery items a part of the flow of the forum ... ie. get time in /find-new/posts
I was very surprised that XFMG didnt have this.
I'm still getting over the fact that I can't find it in VaultWiki.

Another option is to not have a Gallery and keep all the images in the threads.

Instead of having 2 options for posting:
- Poll
Have a third

And the first post in the thread is an image.

Another option is to not have a Gallery and keep all the images in the threads.

Instead of having 2 options for posting:
- Poll
Have a third

And the first post in the thread is an image.

That's basically how mine works now - I've extended vBulletin to include an image at the top of some threads (where the upload is managed by Photopost and I have a mapping between Photopost photo ids and vBulletin thread ids).

I was considering doing something similar with XenForo - but haven't had a chance to dive into the code enough to see how I would make it work.

I was considering doing something similar with XenForo - but haven't had a chance to dive into the code enough to see how I would make it work
that`s interesting, I did the same thing with vB and Photopost. Waindigo worked out a solution for me to get my PP thread relations transferred to xF. I`m using a combination of this:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/tabs-by-waindigo.2528/
and this:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/media-block-by-waindigo.3798/

to have a media block with recipe images above the according recipe thread. Example:
http://www.wunderkessel.de/t/wildkraeutersueppchen.94412/

The images also contain a link/tab back to the thread.

This is quite likely to be a no thanks / not planned suggestion.

The most significant stumbling block will be permissions and privacy. Unlike the resource manager for example, there are extensive privacy controls on media. In the RM, you can setup forum permissions to match your resource category permissions if you wish; that's simply not possible with albums. If you don't all in with all of the media comments being in threads, then you're creating a very confusing situation.

There are also some other concerns such as creating a large number of threads at once (as you upload a bunch of media), ratings being tied in/other potential metadata and album-level comments as well. Though I imagine some of these are more subjective.

This is quite likely to be a no thanks / not planned suggestion.

The most significant stumbling block will be permissions and privacy. Unlike the resource manager for example, there are extensive privacy controls on media. In the RM, you can setup forum permissions to match your resource category permissions if you wish; that's simply not possible with albums. If you don't all in with all of the media comments being in threads, then you're creating a very confusing situation.

There are also some other concerns such as creating a large number of threads at once (as you upload a bunch of media), ratings being tied in/other potential metadata and album-level comments as well. Though I imagine some of these are more subjective.

would it work if all media comments would indeed be "threads" ?

Has anyone found a way (code/addon) to do tie a media category to a forum?

@Mike
Is this still a no thanks / not planned suggestion? I understand the privacy complexity, but wanted to ask again -- hoping six months could have changed things (y)

I think the points I brought up (customized viewing restrictions) roughly makes it a show stopper to make comments be handled by threads. So it's unlikely to change.

This is a nice option if you're not yet commited to the seperate media gallery -

We don't have or want individual user galleries or albums but are image heavy with general reference galleries. We got Waindigo to update & compliment his thumbnails add-on with the thread gallery add-on & option to require an image in the opening post in the designated forums. The gallery view allows us to show gallery forums with multiple columns & rows of thumbnails but still responsive - showing 1 column on smart-phone.

With those add-ons a regular thread is started. If a member posts a image in a regular non-gallery view forum that we deem worthy of inclusion in our galleries we can just move it. Also visa-versa.

Using the BD widget framework we have different boxes in the side bar for new gallery posts & new topics.

This is standard functionality on our current EOL plaform. The reason we're going to be on XF is we were able to get this functionality written as an add-on. We had no success getting it written for other platforms prioir to learning about XF.

We don't have or want individual user galleries or albums but are image heavy with general reference galleries. We got Waindigo to update & compliment his thumbnails add-on with the thread gallery add-on & option to require an image in the opening post in the designated forums. The gallery view allows us to show gallery forums with multiple columns & rows of thumbnails but still responsive - showing 1 column on smart-phone.
This is the same scenario for me. Did Waindigo make these options public? Although the only snag is I'm xengallery already, but the comments are becoming a stumbling block.

Top Bottom