1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Fix Thumbnail for attachments don't seem to work for larger images

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Biirds, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Biirds

Biirds Member

I don't know if this is a bug or not.. but when I upload a large attachment to my forum a thumbnail isn't showing. I recently got help with allowing my users uploading larger images in this forum: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/cant-upload-large-images-as-attachments.25303/

I have uploaded a attachment on how it looks when I upload a large image (no thumbnail is showing and I don't get any options to view as thumbnail or full image):

upload-image.jpg

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Is it being recognised as an image file?

Some software seems to record erroneous file information - I have seen it several times.

If you link to the image I can test whether that is the case.

3. Biirds

Biirds Member

Ok, here for example if you scroll down: http://www.biirds.com/threads/testing.16/

It's my hosting company who has done some testing and they get the same results with their images as I get. As you can see, all the small images work fine but when the image is 2-5 mb we're having problems showing the thumbnail.

4. Brogan

I've confirmed the problem using the image from that thread.

This could be a problem/limitation with the GD image processor, but I'll move it to bugs anyway to see what Mike has to say about it.

5. Biirds

Biirds Member

Ok, thank you Brogan =) ! Is it preferred to use ImageMagick? I saw it was a option to use that instead? What is used on Xenforo?

6. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

Install the ImageMagick extension from Axivo Repo, all problems solved.
    The RPM is available into Redhat5 repo, for now. We are updating soon the Redhat6 repo, once the current projects clear.

mrGTB and Fuhrmann like this.
  7. Brogan

That's fine if you want your members to be able to upload animated avatars.

8. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

I also noticed yesterday, I don't get the option to embed Thumbnail or Full Image with a larger file. I thought that was a feature .. but maybe it was a bug !
    sample.files.large.images.xenforo.not.thumbnailing.jpg

I made a .png file which was 1219 KB. It wouldn't embed, so I made the same image as a .jpg (54 KB) and it worked fine.

Here are the sample files.

Attached Files:

9. Brogan

That's simply due to the extension being incorrect - it's not a valid .png file.

Digital Doctor likes this.
  10. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Basically, we're totally at the whim of the image processing library here.

Brogan likes this.
  11. Biirds

Biirds Member

Well.. My question still remains. Will i be able somehow to upload a large .jpg for example with the thumbnail showing? The uploading part is a large part of my forum, i want the users to be able to upload images directly from their camera to the site? They shouldnt have to open the images in a photo program and resize them before uploading.

Sorry Mike, dont know what you meant by "whim". Tried to translate it using google translate but still dont know :). I see that this thread has got the prefix "cant fix". Not even if i choose the option imagemagick within xenforo?

12. Brogan

Essentially it won't work using the default GD image processor, as I alluded to in my original post.

You will need to install ImageMagick.

13. Biirds

Biirds Member

Ok.. Just a few questions then :).

1. Is there a downside with having imagemagick on my site? Will everything look like it does now?
    2. How do i make imagemagick work on the site? First fill in the radiobutton that says imagemagick in admin cp and then ask my host to install imagemagick?

Thanks!

14. Brogan

Biirds likes this.
  15. Biirds

Biirds Member

Thanks Brogan!

16. Digital Doctor

Thanks.
    It's a .bmp.
    I did think the size was a bit much !
    png.is.a.bmp.jpg
    The .png is only 342 K.

Attached Files:

17. Digital Doctor

hey. :(
    Why delete those files ?
    I'm trying to figure out what is the limiting factor.
    image size or file size.

I did notice this:
    different.sizes.between.computer.and.attached.in.xenforo.jpg

18. Brogan

19. Digital Doctor

i am.
    thx.

Fuhrmann likes this.