1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented thumbnail creation

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by gib, Oct 6, 2010.

1. gib

gib Active Member

I can upload images of 1024x768 ok
    When I try uploading larger resolution image 3264x2448 (850k in size), it looks like the GD library is failing when creating a thumbnail.
    PHP Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 31457280) (tried to allocate 13056 bytes) in /home/sites/site name.com/public_html/community/library/XenForo/Image/Gd.php on line 57

The Maximum Attachment Image Dimensions is on default blank settings, so it looks like a GD lib problem.

I get a similar problem with the nextgen gallery in Wordpress 3.0.1, but I can resolve that by specifying ImageMagick, which is on the server.
    Is there any way I can switch to ImageMagick to handle the image handling and thumbnails ?
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

ImageMagick is not an option at this time. We may need to provide some sort of option to limit thumbnailing/shrinking to images that are smaller than a specific size (dimensions).

On a side note, it looks like you're explicitly limited to the amount of memory you can actually use. I understand it, but it seems like a bad approach as it doesn't allow graceful handling.
    gib likes this.
  3. gib

gib Active Member

Thanks for the update mike.
    I will remove the max mem limit in my php.ini and see if I can squeeze a bit more flexibility out.
  4. island

island Active Member

I'm going off topic here a bit, but where are we in terms of client-side image resizing possibilities? I remember 2-3 years ago a microsoft dev showed me client side resizing using their silverlight browser plugin. That would certainly make uploading a larger number of photos much less taxing on the server and faster if it could be done client side. But, I didn't do anything with it at the time because I figured the majority didn't have that plugin yet, even if pushed by microsoft. Is anyone doing anything with client side image resizing yet? Any graceful way to allow/integrate it if the client has a plugin capable of resizing on their side?
  5. gib

gib Active Member

it worked okay yesterday with large images, but it's failing again today, uploading same images.
    PHP Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 31457280) (tried to allocate 3264 bytes) in /home/sites/sitename.com/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Image/Gd.php on line 57

I've got Wordpress 3.0.1 running in root dir, I'll try again with a totally clean install using XenForo only .....
  6. gib

gib Active Member

I'd love to see an ImageMagick option within XenForo.
    I don't think forum users would typically know that they would need to resize images before uploading and client side image resizing sounds like it isn't going to happen.

I am using shared hosting, so I can't increase the memory on the server end :(
    The only other option would be dedicated hosting, but that would cost too much for the small private site I have in mind (a couple of hundred users max)
    ImageMagick is working fine on my Wordpress sites and my VB4 site, but unfortuantely the GD libs seem to be a memory hog.
  7. masterchief

masterchief Well-Known Member

I would like to see ability to place images from gallery anyplace that I desired just the way NextGen gallery does it by using bbcodes.
    NextGen for xenForo please... YeeeeeHA!