Add-on Thread teasers to entice guests to join...show first post in thread ONLY with message to join site

Deepmartini

I would like a mod that shows ONLY the first post in a thread, then if someone wants to view the full post they have to register. This would make the first post a "teaser" to entice people to join. Is this possible in Xenforo already?

It could also say underneath something like "As a guest, you can only read the first post. To view the rest of this thread or replies, you must log-in or register." (With links to do that). The text should be editable in the admin panel and be able to be changed.

The other benefit is the SEO and traffic development. Now you can have juicy content in the search engines and still keep your forum site "private". Would also be great to use on paid membership sites that use Xenforo as a platform.

Anyone else interested?

tbh, I stay away from sites that require me to sign up simply to read a thread... its the biggest turn off in my books.

I'd rather have 1000 lurkers than force registrations to simply view. It doesn't entice people to reigster, it just entices them to close the browser and go elsewhere.

At least you stand a chance of converting a lurker into a poster one day, its harder to turn a non-visitor into a poster ;)

borbole does mods like this.

Certain forums might benefit from this approach.

These are similar to what you want but not the same.

This is all I found:

Guests Can view Thread title But Not Read Post
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/guests-can-look-but-not-read.14417/

http://xenforo.com/community/thread...st-viewing-motivate-guests-to-register.15121/
This mod will limit guest and users waiting email account confirmation viewing of threads.
After you install the mod, you can configure it at Options in your Acp->Guests And Invalid Users Thread View Limit.

tbh, I stay away from sites that require me to sign up simply to read a thread... its the biggest turn off in my books.

I'd rather have 1000 lurkers than force registrations to simply view. It doesn't entice people to reigster, it just entices them to close the browser and go elsewhere.

At least you stand a chance of converting a lurker into a poster one day, its harder to turn a non-visitor into a poster ;)

This mod is useful for when you run a private members only paid forum and want to show off some of the thread to guests who may be tempted to pay to join. Not everyone uses Xenforo as just an open forum software. The software is useful for other purposes like running a paid membership site and selling access to content (articles in threads), a mentoring forum, etc.

This mod is useful for when you run a private members only paid forum and want to show off some of the thread to guests who may be tempted to pay to join. Not everyone uses Xenforo as just an open forum software. The software is useful for other purposes like running a paid membership site and selling access to content (articles in threads), a mentoring forum, etc.
Ah ok, that's a fair point. Apologies for the assumption.

While you wait you could use this template edit with something like <xen:if is="!{$visitor.user_id} AND !{$post.position} == 0"> which should take care of showing the first post and displaying a message for the rest.

Or <xen:if is="!{$visitor.user_id} AND !{$post.position} == 0 AND {$forum.node_id} == 2"> to make it forum specific.

Could probably through in a phrase so it could be edited through ACP, Anyways works good for what I needed

While you wait you could use this template edit with something like <xen:if is="!{$visitor.user_id} AND !{$post.position} == 0"> which should take care of showing the first post and displaying a message for the rest.

Or <xen:if is="!{$visitor.user_id} AND !{$post.position} == 0 AND {$forum.node_id} == 2"> to make it forum specific.

Could probably through in a phrase so it could be edited through ACP, Anyways works good for what I needed

This sounds interesting. Though I am not a coder or anything so not sure where to begin. A plugin that could do this would be very useful. I'm sure others might be interested as well.

Top Bottom