Fixed Thread Status Refuses To Change to Read Sometimes

sip

Affected version
2.0.0 RC1
This happened in 1.x also and happens in current version also.
For some unexplained reason, the thread status gets stuck at UNREAD although one goes through the process of opening it again. But, it refuses to change. The only way to get over this is mark forum read.

Since this is very random in nature, cannot even suggest the steps to reproduce.

Are you experiencing the issue here?

Do you have any rough reproduction steps? Opening a thread from New Posts? Going back in the browser?

Specifically, does the last_post_date stored in the thread actually match the date of the last post in the thread? If not, that's the cause and almost certainly caused by an add-on (such as one that does bumping).

@Chris D -- Will try the steps once I face it. It's not very frequent.
@Mike -- Will check on the date/time part. But we don't have any add on for bumping threads.

And, this is not something that happens with everyone at the same time. For example, if I face issue one one such thread, not all users face the same issue on the same thread. It used to happen on 1.5x too but, as I said, rare occurrence. Same on 2X too. Running 2.x for few days now and only 2 users reported it, but on the same thread. When I checked on the same thread the status changed fine. This was a moved thread, if that can provide any clue.

That same thread, few users could get the status cleared.
However, there's one user for whom the status won't change
Mark forum read -- no change
Read multiple times -- no change

This was a thread which was Moved from one forum to another.
What do I need to check to debug this issue?

Last post date = 1511159964 = 20th November 2017 06:39:24 AM
On the thread last post is done today, 22 min earlier.
So, the dates match after taking into a/c IST time zone.
Have no add on that changes the time/date for bumping up threads.

Last edited:
Ok here's the feedback.
A thread move left a copy (non accessible even by admin) in origin forum.
So users thought that the same post is showing unread though the one in destination forum worked fine wrt status.
Not sure why a dysfunctional copy of same thread could have stayed, despite the move, which even as admin one tried to access it threw some error

It sounds like the moderator that moved the thread chose to leave a redirect in the old forum. This will represent the data at the time of the move (and thus doesn't update last post, for example). It should also display some different data (and an icon) to indicate this.

So in general, this would be expected.

@Mike,

I moved it and I never leave any redirects. Moreover XF2 rightly has Leave no redirects by default so by no chance that could have been possible.
When the dysfunctional thread in the original forum I tried accessing it gave thread does not exist error. When I deleted it, it was deleted. If it was by any chance a redirect, it should have taken to the destination forum and not give does not exist error.

I will try and see if this can be duplicated again.

This has been reproduced again and the condition under which is happened was "MOVE"
Here's what the observation is (common with the first instance)

UserX creates a new thread.
USerY (also the admin) replies to the thread

UserY selects the OP and the reply to MOVE to new forum
Move to destination forums happens fine
But the copy stays in the source forum

When we try and access the source forum copy it gives
Oops! Looks like you don't have access. Pl read message below.
Something went wrong. Please try again or contact the administrator.

Now, this thread will always appear UNREAD for any user who did not access it before the MOVE.

I can give access to XF Devs to see what the issue is. The first case was also under same circumstances.

Hi,

I could reproduce it. (The issue appears only on thread that have two posts / 1# post belongs to the thread starter & 2# post to any one)

• Lets start a new thread (Post #1)
  • Someone else post a reply in that thread (Post #2)
  • Now select the Post #1 & #2 and click to move them to another forum.
  • The two post will move as expected to the new forum But in the old forum the link of the thread you create stays there and when you click on it you get the error message "Something went wrong. Please try again or contact the administrator." (the link should redirect to the new thread since Post #1 or the thread and all post in it has been moved)
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,

I could reproduce it. (The issue appears only on thread that have two posts / 1# post the belong to thread starter & 2# post to any one)

• Lets start a new thread (Post #1)
  • Someone else post a reply in that thread (Post #2)
  • Now select the Post #1 & #2 and click to move them to another forum.
  • The two post will move as expected to the new forum But in old the forum the link of the thread you create it stays there and when you click on it you get the error message "Something went wrong. Please try again or contact the administrator." (the link should redirect to the new thread since Post #1 or the thread and all post in it has been moved)
Thanks.
Yup, Exactly.
Actually there should be no dysfunctional item left in the source forum as it was a Move with no redirection.
So, since it happened on two installs following the exactly same steps, guess it qualifies for a BUG.

Top Bottom