Resource icon

Thread Starter Alerts [Paid] 1.2.1

No permission to buy ($35.00)

Xon

Xon submitted a new resource:

Thread Starter Alerts - Alerts from the Thread Starter

This is a formally private add-on, which has been used on Sufficient Velocity and Space Battles for nearly 2 years now.

For watchers of a thread, send alerts when the Thread starter/Original Poster replies to their thread with a post above a permission-based threshold for the thread starter
  • Opt-out for Thread Starter alerts.
  • Integration into Watched Threads email notifications...

Read more about this resource...

@Xon Is it possible extend it also on profile post?
I would think this add-on is fairly worthless for profile post. Additionally, due to how XenForo 1.x alerts dispatching is implemented, you basically need to re-implement this entire add-on for each content type.

Hello.

Can i use this add on to make a member choose between :
  • getting notification of a watched thread, including reply on that thread from all members who reply there, and between
  • getting notification of a watched thread, only if the thread starter replies on that thread?
Can a member choose for example :
  • for thread A, he can get all thread reply notification, and
  • for thread B, he get thread reply notification only from thread starter.
Thank you.

Hello.

Can i use this add on to make a member choose between :
  • getting notification of a watched thread, including reply on that thread from all members who reply there, and between
  • getting notification of a watched thread, only if the thread starter replies on that thread?
Can a member choose for example :
  • for thread A, he can get all thread reply notification, and
  • for thread B, he get thread reply notification only from thread starter.
Thank you.
The user can enable/disable thread starter alerts globally (like any other alert type), and then when watching a thread configure to only get email alerts on thread starter posts.

Yes, to the first (globally). No to the 2nd batch.

The user can enable/disable thread starter alerts globally (like any other alert type), and then when watching a thread configure to only get email alerts on thread starter posts.

Yes, to the first (globally). No to the 2nd batch.
What about notification in forum such as in here https://xenforo.com/community/account/alerts ?

Users can get alert in a thread only for replies made by the thread starter?

More question : why this add on needs Enhanced Search? Is there a searching method included in this add on?

Thank you

Users can get alert in a thread only for replies made by the thread starter?
Yes. For example on my forums I have reply alerts turned off but have thread starter alerts enabled. So I only get thread starter reply alerts on threads I watch.

More question : why this add on needs Enhanced Search? Is there a searching method included in this add on?
It depends on my Word Count search add-on which uses Elastic Search. But it only depends on the word count it makes available, so If you disable the search template modifications bits which require Elastic Search to-do anything it should work.

I have set "Thread Starter Alert" to allow in all usergroups (except unregistered).
Should i set "Min post word count for Thread Starter Alerts" to unlimited for all usergroups?

I have set "Thread Starter Alert" to allow in all usergroups (except unregistered).
Should i set "Min post word count for Thread Starter Alerts" to unlimited for all usergroups?
Ether 0 or unlimited will cause thread starter alerts to always trigger

Another question :

What is the difference on alert preferences between these checkboxes :
  • Thread Starter replies to watched thread, and
  • Thread Starter replies always alerts
Thank you :)

"Thread Starter replies to watched thread" allows users to enable/disable thread starter alerts.

"Thread Starter replies always alerts" bypasses how XenForo will only send 1 alert for a thread until you revisit. It ensures users always are alerts if a thread starter alert occurs.

Currently, this add-on will block upgrade to XF2 due to changes to the xf_user_option.default_watch_state column.

The XF2 version of this add-on is mostly done, just waiting on a few dependencies to be tested and my store add-on to be updated to handle XenForo 1.x and XenForo 2.x branches of the same add-on.

Before attempting to upgrade to to XF2, the following queries need to be done:
Code:
ALTER TABLE `xf_user_option`
    ADD COLUMN `interaction_watch_state__conflict` ENUM('','watch_no_email','watch_email','watch_op_email') NOT NULL DEFAULT '' AFTER default_watch_state;

update xf_user_option
set interaction_watch_state__conflict = default_watch_state;

update xf_user_option
set default_watch_state = ''
where default_watch_state = 'watch_op_email';
After upgrading run the following queries to restore the watch state:
Code:
    CHANGE COLUMN `interaction_watch_state` interaction_watch_state ENUM('','watch_no_email','watch_email','watch_op_email') NOT NULL DEFAULT '';

update xf_user_option
set creation_watch_state = interaction_watch_state__conflict, interaction_watch_state = interaction_watch_state__conflict
where interaction_watch_state__conflict = 'watch_op_email';

DROP COLUMN `interaction_watch_state__conflict`;

Then install the XF2 version of this add-on

Last edited:
Am I understanding it correctly that this addon will give the user an option to receive less alerts/emails?
i.e. instead of the default alerts for all replies, only receive alerts for thread starter replies?
If yes, then why is this useful? Does this not lead to less participation?

My niche has a lot of long-form creative content, so getting alerts that the thread starter has replied with significant content is desirable. Especially as the alerts/emails are send regardless of if they have visited the thread or not.

Non-thread starter alerts still exist, it is a per-user option if they watch a thread and get threadstarter only alerts or if they get normal reply alerts.

Top Bottom