Implemented Thread Prefix

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
It's a great way to keep the amount of forums down, and filter content based on thread prefix.
That said, I rarely use it, and I don't see it in use, unless it's a project on a site, and they're using the forum.

It's a great way to keep the amount of forums down, and filter content based on thread prefix.
That said, I rarely use it, and I don't see it in use, unless it's a project on a site, and they're using the forum.

i loved the possibility to force the members to use them in some specific forums ... this helps us to filter some arguments or some particular events (like you said) ... isn't a 'must have' feature, but i think that is pretty smart allow the admins to have this feature ... ;)

You don't want 25 tags for a thread to show as 25 labels for a thread ..

Gmail.labels as a thread prefix, Ok .. I can go with that. But not to replace the tag system.
The tags should just show simple.

Sorry to bump this, but thread prefixes are one of those things that would be essential to make the switch to XF for me. With all of them in place in vB, we simply can't afford to lose them. The importer also has to be able to recognize them if possible. I'm a little surprised this thread didn't get more attention and likes.

Sorry to bump this, but thread prefixes are one of those things that would be essential to make the switch to XF for me. With all of them in place in vB, we simply can't afford to lose them. The importer also has to be able to recognize them if possible. I'm a little surprised this thread didn't get more attention and likes.
One thing that is kind of important with this xF imo is that its not beholden to any past piece of software.
It can implement innovative ideas that may replace older ways of doing things.
Eve if that means some compatibility issues for people who are migrating.
Ive always thought that the tags and prefix systems were two different ways to serve the same role.
They each served the role in different ways, and one system had some advantages over the other.
But if the xF guys are able to make one new system that incorporates the best of both those systems while making it more intuitive to use... then i can live with having to then lose some compatibility with old posts, or have to manually go back and change them.

I personally could live without prefixes very easy. Never find them useful for any board i used.
Examples they are usefull for are plenty...

One example: subforums where things are offered; products and services. As admin you want to specify how thread titles look in such a case ([Offer] Logo design $250) etc... This makes it look organised and clean. And members can search threads based on these prefixes.

@Ruven: it doesn't need to be a copy, innovation is nice. But if I have to choose between losing (for me important) features and innovation, I stick with the important features. Let's not reduce the chances that people switch to XF because of one feature that can be implemented relatively easy.

We also couldn't lose the prefixes we're using, so until xF gets them we can't move :(

We have a few sets of them: one of the most useful is requiring them for our classified forums. Before implementing them members came up with their own, i.e. for sale, f/s, fs, f s, etc. By using prefixes we can standardize them as well as making them searchable, not to mention the syntax you can apply which makes browsing the forums themselves easier. If one prefix is blue and another is red, its quite easy to only look at the threads with the prefix you're interested in.

We also use optional prefixes in our sports forum, so instead of having multiple sub-forums we can just have a single one.

Prefixes are great if you have a couple of forums that you can use them in. Not something many people use, and even those that use them probably don't use them in every forum. Still... it is certainly a nice feature to have available.

Prefixes are great if you have a couple of forums that you can use them in. Not something many people use, and even those that use them probably don't use them in every forum. Still... it is certainly a nice feature to have available.
For most of my forums that use Prefix, I require the use of them, to keep things as organized as possible.

Top Bottom