Lack of interest Thread Move Permissions

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Snoozero

This hasn't become an issue to me personally yet, but it seems that move-permissions act a little strangely.

Shouldn't users with move permissions on specific forums only be able to move threads between those specific forums? For example, right now I have a group which has the ability to move threads from a "pending applications" forum to a "completed applications" forum. However, these admins also have the ability to move threads from the "pending applications" forum into my "news and announcements" forum which shows up on the front page.

They don't have the ability to create threads in that forum, they don't have the ability to move from that forum, so it would probably make sense that they shouldn't be able to move INTO that forum either.

Short version: Thread move permissions should probably be checked on the "to" forum, as well as the "from" forum.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
So just to clarify, you've set the node permissions for your "news and announcements" forum and removed the moderator permissions yet they can still move threads into it?

I just want to confirm so I can test the behaviour on my install.

The user belongs to registered users (no special permissions) and a second usergroup which only has access to move on those two nodes -- they aren't a board-wide moderator.

Yes, I just tested that and also a board wide moderator, setting the move related permission to Deny but was still able to move threads into it in both cases.

Really, this has to exist this way. People will commonly create forums where people can't post, but they'll move threads into it instead (this would be checking posting permissions for the destination). If you actually checked moved-from permissions as well, a single-forum moderator couldn't even move threads to a different place. :)

I understand what you're reporting, but it would mostly just create lots of confusion. I'll move this to suggestions though.

If you actually checked moved-from permissions as well, a single-forum moderator couldn't even move threads to a different place. :)

Move-from permissions are already being checked, so I'll assume that's a typo ;)
Also, it would make sense, at least to me, that a single forum moderator wouldn't be able to move threads to a different place. That's why they are a single forum moderator. If the admin wants to allow them to move to other forums - they would need move permissions in those forums as well :rolleyes:

Regardless, I'll start rooting around to see if this can be achieved with an addon. It's apparently become a fad with my mods to move threads to inappropriate places now that the word is out.

* side note - I haven't tested it, and it's not as important, but this is also probably the case for post merging.

Move-from permissions are already being checked, so I'll assume that's a typo ;)
I was ambiguous. I did indeed mean checking for move perms in the destination.

Also, it would make sense, at least to me, that a single forum moderator wouldn't be able to move threads to a different place. That's why they are a single forum moderator. If the admin wants to allow them to move to other forums - they would need move permissions in those forums as well :rolleyes:
One of the more common mod actions is moving things posted in the wrong forum. That's the situation I was thinking about.

One of the more common mod actions is moving things posted in the wrong forum. That's the situation I was thinking about.
That's a very good point.
If a moderator only has permissions in a single forum then they will be unable to move threads out of it.

I guess in this instance though, the OP is more or less looking for the ability to completely remove moderator permissions from individual forums - sort of like the private node feature but for mod actions only.

Looks like thread merging respects the permissions of all forums involved (which I guess makes even more sense).

If anyone stumbles across this thread looking to make move permissions check both the source AND destination forum permissions, here's a mod to make it so:

Attachments

Top Bottom