Not a bug Thread in approval queue waiting to be approved but yet it has 3 replies in it

jeb35

Affected version
2.2.8 patch 1
I'm not sure if this is been going on for awhile or not but this is the first time I've seen it. It's on a forum that I help admin but don't own. Thread as been put in approval queue due to Akismet match. However there are 3 replies to this thread. How is this possible if it says awaiting approval before being displayed publicly?

approval queue.webp
Thread.webp

Do those members have the relevant moderator permission related to unapproved posts?

If not, do you have any third party add-ons installed which affect permissions?

They are regular members and no addons installed as far as I know. I only have limited admin privileges, owner doesn't really want to use non XF addons.

Sorry if this is a red herring, but I have seen akismet put existing approved posts back into approval if an edit has been done, when this happened a link was edited into a post (by a “sleeping” spammer).

Sorry if this is a red herring, but I have seen akismet put existing approved posts back into approval if an edit has been done, when this happened a link was edited into a post (by a “sleeping” spammer).
Time stamp on the approval qeueu is 1:02 which is the time of the original post not any reply. Author did make 1 reply but it was an 1.5 hours later.

Edit... Just looked and there were several edits on the original post. That could be it. But even the time of the edits doesn't match the approval queue time stamp except for original post.

If the post has been edited then that is most likely the answer.

It was originally posted and not placed in the approval queue.
A couple of members replied.
The author edited the first post which placed the thread in the approval queue.

Just test this scenario, create test account, write post, ask some people to write in it, then edit with test account. And you know what's going on and if scenario is valid or not.

. But even the time of the edits doesn't match the approval queue time stamp except for original post.
The approval queue lists the date the content was created, even if it was placed there later by an edit.

I don't have another plausible explanation so I think that must be what happened here, but if you have reason to believe otherwise let us know and we can investigate further.

Top Bottom