1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 thousands of emails keep sending out of my forum

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by xmlxp, Mar 1, 2014.

1. xmlxp

xmlxp Active Member

Hi all,

I upgraded fron 1.1.1 to 1.2.5 last wednesday and every thing went ok and the forum is running without any issue. But suddenly yesterday thousands of spam emails going out of my dedicated server and when I check WHM in the Mail Queue Manager I see many emails waiting to to be sent as shown on the attached image.

I tried to track down the source of those emails as suggested on this website:

using the command:
    grep cwd /var/log/exim_mainlog | grep -v /var/spool | awk -F"cwd=" '{print $2}' | awk '{print $1}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n

and the output is:

1 /root/rkhunter-1.4.2
      15 /root
      174 /
      647 /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot
      1482 /home/vbcom/public_html/community
      2119 /etc/csf
    1482 email is being sent from my xenforo community and it wasnt me who is sending those emails. is there any new email features in xf1.2.5 that send auto emails? I am realy lost here

my forum is large
    4 mil post
    70,000+ members

Attached Files:

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

What is the content of the email?
    That may help to determine the cause.
  3. xmlxp

xmlxp Active Member

here is the content of one of those emails:
    I replaced my website name with domain word
  4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

1400 emails for a forum that large isn't a lot -- I'm pretty sure we send more than that here (or at least a similar amount).

The email is definitely coming from within your server, but there isn't any indication that it came from within XenForo (XenForo emails would always be sent using UTF-8 for example), so if it's being sent from within the XF directory, there may well be another script there that has been dropped in the directory. What are the list of files in your community directory?
  5. xmlxp

xmlxp Active Member

Here is the list of files in forum directory
  6. xmlxp

xmlxp Active Member