This list contains advanced options which may be hidden. Enable advanced mode.

AndyB

When using the Admin control panel, I often find that I can't find a specific options because they have been hidden by this function:

1654750823603.png

Please remove this function.

Thank you.

Edit: Please note that I'm referring to when I look at an options page (example Basic options) I'm used to seeing basic options and when I don't see them I wonder if I'm in the wrong option area. I don't think about this "Enable advaced mode" removing option in the middle of the page. A properly done Show advanced options is normally done where advanced options are displayed below the link, not display other options above.

I really don't think XenForo options are all that advanced, they should all be shown all the time.

Last edited:
Upvote 12
I guess my first question would be what options are hidden by this and why. If there is a good reason for them to be hidden, then it can stay. There is a "Show Advanced Options" button right at the top of ACP - Setup - Options so I have never found this to be a problem. At most, it can be a nuisance.

each setting should have a good description. If it's advanced, it should say something like 'don't touch this if you don't know what it does'.

The problem is when the search doesn't find them.

See here:

It says "not a bug" but surely it is?

Hopefully that bug is now fixed, but maybe not.
It is not a bug because it does what it was intended to do, hides certain features unless requested to show them. As such, changing it is not a bug fix but a change, and Andy did the right thing by posting it as a suggestion. Good point about them not showing on search and I have upvoted the suggestion.

Surely a search is a request to show something?
Not if that something is intended to be hidden. Looks to me like the designer felt these features weren't needed day to day so hid them from both the menu and the search function. That's not a bug, that's a design decision. If I am wrong, the XF crew can correct me but that's my sense of it. And the way to deal with that is to vote up Andy's suggestion to make a change.

PS. I thought they changed it in 2.2.9 to show hidden results in search according to Jeremy but I may have misunderstood his post.
A bit of an oversight. We've actually adjusted the behavior a few months ago so that advanced options will automatically display when they are linked to directly (eg. from search results) which will land in v2.2.9.

Not if that something is intended to be hidden. Looks to me like the designer felt these features weren't needed day to day so hid them from both the menu and the search function.
Well, they said it was an oversight, which seems another word for a bug to me. And now it is supposed to be fixed anyway:

A bit of an oversight. We've actually adjusted the behavior a few months ago so that advanced options will automatically display when they are linked to directly (eg. from search results) which will land in v2.2.9.

You can turn the setting on/off globally so you don't see those messages per options page and see all the options.

xenforo advanced options.png

Last edited:
These three icons located at the top right portion of the Admin control panel page.

1654813086346.png

I only recognized the magnifying glass, the other two really have no meaning to me and therefore I have never clicked on either one.

One of the short comings of the "Show advanced options" function is that when we describe to other admins the path to a particular option, I need to first explain how to check the "Show advanced options" so the option will be visible.

I just can say, it took me a lot of time to discover why I wasn't able to see options I knew that there should be there, after upgrade to 2.2.9.

In my opinion, we are admins, so, we should see advanced options. Looking at relatively obscure places just to see otherwise useful options, it drove me mad. Now I know that options are hidden, but still, it was very unpleasant experience trying to find something you know it's there, but you just can't see.

I remember finding the checkbox on my own but had to still ask what it was, since nothing appeared when I checked it. It looks like options should appear in that box. So I agree with posts here that it could be more intuitive.

Top Bottom