Thinking of the move from Vbulletin4+vbseo help please?

Hi guys, we are a old forum that has long been indexed in the search engines,
We are running vbulletin4+vbseo (which is dead now), So in the process of thinking of removing vbseo, we also determined that the move to xenforo might be the easiest way out.

How hard of a process will it be to make sure the old indexed urls are redirected once I convert to xenforo?

will the fact that I have vbseo isntalled make the conversion to xenforo difficult?

How about photo albums, and pictures and attachments? those should convert over well ok?

I am given confidence that avforums have made the move as well as many others, so very intrusted as I do not want to hurt our rankings and our alexa rankings,

thanks much for any guidance on this matter, as we feel we are stuck since vbseo is now dead, and upgrades for vbulletin wont work because vbseo is now dead and the process to remove vbseo seems like a huge task.

Hi guys, we are a old forum that has long been indexed in the search engines,
We are running vbulletin4+vbseo (which is dead now), So in the process of thinking of removing vbseo, we also determined that the move to xenforo might be the easiest way out.

How hard of a process will it be to make sure the old indexed urls are redirected once I convert to xenforo?

will the fact that I have vbseo isntalled make the conversion to xenforo difficult?

How about photo albums, and pictures and attachments? those should convert over well ok?

I am given confidence that avforums have made the move as well as many others, so very intrusted as I do not want to hurt our rankings and our alexa rankings,

thanks much for any guidance on this matter, as we feel we are stuck since vbseo is now dead, and upgrades for vbulletin wont work because vbseo is now dead and the process to remove vbseo seems like a huge task.
Moving from vBulletin with vbseo is very easy to do and yes, it is possible to forward your old re-write url's in order to minimize any seo hit. But understand any time you switch forum software, you will likely take some form at hit at first, but it will soon recover.

There are 3 popular photo albums add-ons if you're in need of one. Regardless if you need a photo album or not, attachments will ports over without an issue.

If the absence of vbseo is your only reason for moving to xenforo then I think you are moving for the wrong reasons.
Vbseo can be replaced by dbseo.

please tell me more about dbseo ?

Ive been keeping my eye on xenforo for startinga forum, but just not sure of our establshed one.

Where can I get dbseo, do you have a link?

well ultimately, I don't see myself jumping to vbulletin 5.0, and I still think Vb3 was the best vbulletin there was...
So looking forward, I feel we may have to make the jump to xenforo, Im not too concerned with the hit on search engine rankings as we know we will recover as are concerned about certain inbound links from other websites, so that they dont end up on a dead page.

well ultimately, I don't see myself jumping to vbulletin 5.0, and I still think Vb3 was the best vbulletin there was...
So looking forward, I feel we may have to make the jump to xenforo, Im not too concerned with the hit on search engine rankings as we know we will recover as are concerned about certain inbound links from other websites, so that they dont end up on a dead page.
Nope, no dead pages. The re-write rules will overall forward them to the correct place. And yes, XenForo uses fewer resources than either vBulletin 4 or 5.

OK, is there anything special about the install instructions about converting a site with vbseo in place already? do I have to remove vbseo first?
Where and How do I get help on the rewrite rules? Will support assist in this once I purchase?

Does xenforo have customization things, like plugins community?

just started poking around, so I have a lot of questions, bear with me! Trying to go slowly as we do have a site with lost of posts and visitors

OK, is there anything special about the install instructions about converting a site with vbseo in place already? do I have to remove vbseo first?
Where and How do I get help on the rewrite rules? Will support assist in this once I purchase?
You can hire XenForo to install and setup your site. They charge $50 for that service. Or you can have someone else within the community here (such as myself) do it for you. There is also documentation that can easily be found so you can do it yourself.

No, you do not need to do anything on your vBulletin site except to close it during the import.

Sounds great, love everyones input, seems xenforo has really grown since i first heard of it some time back, like its what vbulletin should of ended up after getting bought out.

I'm actually pondering doing the change just suddenly after midnight tonight if I do so since its the weekend after backups of course.

Just seeing if there is anything unusual about my case with vbseo being involved..
and after glancing at dbseo, I'd rather stop dealing with 3rd party fixes (like vbseo is).

Will the conversion take long? Will I be running things off the command line due to large size of my database?

Sounds great, love everyones input, seems xenforo has really grown since i first heard of it some time back, like its what vbulletin should of ended up after getting bought out.

I'm actually pondering doing the change just suddenly after midnight tonight if I do so since its the weekend after backups of course.

Just seeing if there is anything unusual about my case with vbseo being involved..
and after glancing at dbseo, I'd rather stop dealing with 3rd party fixes (like vbseo is).

Will the conversion take long? Will I be running things off the command line due to large size of my database?
Converting speeds do vary depending on your host and the resources available to you.

Is there something like a frontpage addon for xenforo, like for placing articles, etc? or highlighting discussions, or perhaps a html snippet to show the hottest topics on a index page
This can be done 2 ways....

XenForo allows you to make pages and you can easily have those as "front page" (commonly refereed to as a portal by many). There is also 3 add-ons that you can depend on if you wish that can easily do this as well.

Mine site has a simple example of one http://www.SociallyUncensored.eu/forum Of course I'm using it only really to draw attention to my blogs & thus not using it to it's full potential. But it does give you a real basic live example.

Top Bottom