1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of switching

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Giverny, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Giverny

Giverny Member

Hi there!

I've been looking into switching to a different forum software for quite a while now. I currently run a forum that uses PHPbb 3.0.11 and I'm trying to convince our webmaster to switch over to Xenforo. PHPbb is alright but it feels very outdated and has a clumsy design. Many of our users have also found that it's riddled with bugs and isn't very open to develop.

A little about our current setup:
    • 66,000+ users
    • 358,000+ posts
    • 2.18GB database
    • PHPbb 3.0.11
    Why I want to switch - will Xenforo help me here?
    • Interface looks dated (I know this can be updated but our needs are very particular and PHPbb doesn't really cater to what we're looking for)
    • User control panels aren't intuitive enough for our users, who are mostly 40+
    • Admin control panel is clunky and unresponsive
    My main questions
    • Will we lose any of our SEO ranking during/after switching to Xenforo?
    • Would our users be inconvenienced in any way? (Forced password changes, profile changes etc.)
    • Are we able to set the software up using IIS?
    • Does the forum software have any spam countermeasures?
    • Will our current IP, e-mail and username bans be carried across?
    • Will post attachments be carried across?
    • Will it be simple to set up our custom TapaTalk app with Xenforo?
    Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide.
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

SEO is very good with XF, redirection scripts will help with existing links.

Everything will be imported, including (amongst others) passwords and attachments.

Lots of spam features built in: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/

There is a Tapatalk add-on or 1.2 is fully responsive.
  3. Giverny

Giverny Member

Thanks for the speedy response, Brogan. Will we be penalised at all by Google for the redirects?
  4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You may at first but once everything is re-indexed you will most likely find your stat's improve.
  5. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

I've made a number of switches and was never penalized for a redirect.
  6. Giverny

Giverny Member

Excellent, thanks both :)