Thinking of selling your vB license? Don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannahP

When you sell your vB license to some penny-pinching scrounger you only perpetuate the underhanded, double-dealing, law suit filing practices of that other company. The scrounger will have to pay them to update it at some point. Even if they never upgrade past 4.x they'll still be using the software. Don't let that happen.

Kill it instead.

I intend to force them to cancel my license when I'm finished with it, so no one else can use it. They may resist - it took me a week to convince them to downgrade my "suite" license to forum-only (they couldn't understand why I wanted to do that), and I expect they will spew some line of bullsheet about how they can't cancel the forum license, but I'll be on them every day to do it until it's dead.

If you want to send them a message, make them kill your license. Make them talk about it in the halls and conference rooms of their offices. Make your feelings known. It will undermine them. It will make them wonder. "What the hell is going on? People don't cancel valid licenses..."

If you think they won't care, think again. Even a small handful of people demanding to have valid licenses canceled will make them talk and it will make them nervous. The vB team is a small part of the larger borg that is IB, and the word will get around. It may not hurt them, but it will get into people's heads and make them uneasy.

Don't go quietly.

I'm really getting quite sick of the anti-vB/IB vibe. Can we please stop with the vB/IB hate threads.

THIS IS XENFORO - absolutely feck all to do with vB so let's move on - forward - away from all of that, and rather than dream up ways of lambasting IB - just trounce them with first class software and features and leave them in xF's dust.

This single best way to "get one over" on IB is to completely walk away from vB and focus on making xF one of the market leaders (if that's what you're after).

We can't turn back the clock. What's done is done. xF and their legal representatives will deal with the lawsuits however they feel is best, and the single best thing you can do (as a customer of xF) is concentrate on testing, reporting, suggesting and improving the product.

Forget the us and them crap - just concentrate your energies over here. It will be much more productive and benefit xF much more than any sort of "attack" on IB.

</rant> Sorry, but it needed to be said!

Cheers,
Shaun :D

I'm really getting quite sick of the anti-vB/IB vibe. Can we please stop with the vB/IB hate threads.

THIS IS XENFORO - absolutely feck all to do with vB so let's move on - forward - away from all of that, and rather than dream up ways of lambasting IB - just trounce them with first class software and features and leave them in xF's dust.

This single best way to "get one over" on IB is to completely walk away from vB and focus on making xF one of the market leaders (if that's what you're after).

We can't turn back the clock. What's done is done. xF and their legal representatives will deal with the lawsuits however they feel is best, and the single best thing you can do (as a customer of xF) is concentrate on testing, reporting, suggesting and improving the product.

Forget the us and them crap - just concentrate your energies over here. It will be much more productive and benefit xF much more than any sort of "attack" on IB.

</rant> Sorry, but it needed to be said!

Cheers,
Shaun :D
Unless mjp is deviating away from his usual sarcasm and wit, this was probably meant in jest.

People keep asking/saying they're selling their licenses, which has become just as annoying as the people who feel the need to bash vBulletin/IB.

When you sell your vB license to some penny-pinching scrounger you only perpetuate the underhanded, double-dealing, law suit filing practices of that other company. The scrounger will have to pay them to update it at some point.
I do not follow your logic, the person buying your license would buy either way, better from you than from IB. A new license + yearly upgrade means more money for IB. If a lot of vB customers sell at low price then this inflates the value of the license which means IB will sell less. Unless I missed something in your post (I'm working and reading/posting fast).

I've left my license to rot. I was debating whether to transfer it but felt it's not worth it so both a license and vbseo license will never be used again with 3 other commercial vb products that I purchased. However, I made this decision years ago, not recently and nothing to do with the lawsuit or xenforo.

Infact, somebody still has one of my other licenses so that's essentially 2 unused licenses that'll never see the light of day again.

Geeks, it would be nice if members here did not tell other members what to post about on this forum of forum administrators, that is what I'm getting tired of here, and all the crap about how we can't discuss vBulletin issues and how IB is not relevant here, the company that is claiming in a lawsuit that they own XF.

Let the moderators do their job and quit trying to be a "wanna be mod" on a forum of professional forum administrators would be the best thing members here could ever do for this forum.

To me is is very insulting when a member puts fourth an idea, then other "members" come in to the thread killing it instead of commenting on the idea presented in the thread, that is very pathetic behavior and improper forum protocol, 'wanna be mods' kill forum communities, this is not the first time this has happened here and I think mod's need to think about this, or this forum is doomed.

Geeks, it would be nice if members here did not tell other members what to post about on this forum of forum administrators, that is what I'm getting tired of here, and all the crap about how we can't discuss vBulletin issues and how IB is not relevant here, the company that is claiming in a lawsuit that they own XF.

Let the moderators do their job and quit trying to be a "wanna be mod" on a forum of professional forum administrators would be the best thing members here could ever do for this forum.

Not be funny, didn't you just do the same? By asking members not to tell other members not to question what is posted? I know, i know, it's a tongue twister and me being english it will not, can not roll off that tongue quick enough.

Take two: Not being funny, didn't you just contradict yourself by asking....

Take three: Anthony, Please don't backseat moderate....

Take four: *Just likes Anthony's post and gives up*

Shelly, telling other members that:

1) They should never discuss vB and IB is not proper.

2) Saying to the thread starter, this thread should be closed is not proper.

3) Seeking attention by being a 'wanna be mod' is not proper.

4) Not commenting on the idea presented, but instead telling the thread starter he should have never started the thread in the first place is not proper, comments like this kill off free thought and discussion, discouraging others who are reading from commenting with their free thoughts and adding content to the forum, which is the whole idea of a forum in the first place.

5) Mod's letting people get away with such conduct on a forum of forum administrators is not proper.

6) Someone has to tell you all this is not proper forum protocol and that this forum is way off course !!!

To me is is very insulting when a member puts fourth an idea, then other "members" come in to the thread killing it instead of commenting on the idea presented in the thread, that is very pathetic behavior and improper forum protocol, 'wanna be mods' kill forum communities, this is not the first time this has happened here and I think mod's need to think about this, or this forum is doomed.
Pure hypocrisy throughout your post.

Theres a reason why people keep saying to keep vBulletin/IB threads off this site: they almost always end up being flamed, going off topic, or getting bashed, and they are then closed by moderation. Most people here, even though they are 'professional administrators' (See what I did there?), do not follow or respect rules laid down by other sites, assuming their opinion and ideas tend to be better.

Telling 'professional administrators' (Oops, did it again) not to wannabe mod on a site that isn't there own is a lost cause. Especially when you're doing it yourself.

"Killing it" generally means they've put forth their take, or said why they view it as a bad idea. When maybe 2-3% of the suggestions put forth on this site are actually though out, and many others are things that either a) the person wants for their own site, b) thinks its a good idea, but didn't think it out all the way, c) just wanted to post something to seem important.

But you most likely know better, ya know, being an older 'professional administrator' and all :rolleyes:.

5) Mod's letting people get away with such conduct on a forum of forum administrators is not proper.
oooohhh don't get yer knickers in a wad Anthony. If you'd made one of those posts above, and we edited or deleted it, you'd be the first to cry "free speech!".

Funny thing is, if us mods do moderate a thread, we're over-moderating - according to you.
If we leave it alone, we're not doing enough - according to you.

Funny, funny stuff.

Why should this thread be closed? This is the off topic forum. Oh sorry, I forgot the "Church of Xenology" cult/clique does not encourage free speech or any kind of sarcasm/humour, and anyone in the "inner circle" can self-promote themselves to a moderator and policy maker.

I thought the OP was making a very valid point - whether in jest or not. A cancelled licence hits them where it hurts. A sold one just continues the revenue stream.

"No discussion of vB or IPB" is an un-enforceable rule.

Where is the love these days? We need a group hug :)

Really Kier (sorry, that was Forsaken, not Kier), so it is all right with you if the mod's and the members here work together to destroy free thought on this forum ?

I guess you also think vB did a great job when their forum imploded too and that the direction here is fantastic ??

Why should this thread be closed? This is the off topic forum. Oh sorry, I forgot the "Church of Xenology" cult/clique does not encourage free speech or any kind of sarcasm/humour, and anyone in the "inner circle" can self-promote themselves to a moderator and policy maker.

I thought the OP was making a very valid point - whether in jest or not. A cancelled licence hits them where it hurts. A sold one just continues the revenue stream.

"No discussion of vB or IPB" is an un-enforceable rule.

Where is the love these days? We need a group hug :)
They allow discussion of vB/IPB, just certain subjects that are bound to go off topic (The lawsuit, news relating to vBulletin etc) are closed and have been asked not to be posted here.

Forsaken, I must have hit a nerve with you, because you and Geeks are a couple of the folks that constantly try to moderate this forum of (here we go man) 'professional forum administrators', give it up and let Kier and his mod's take care of it man.

Kier knows all about the forum world, he has been around this business a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom