Thinking of selling your vB license? Don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really Kier (sorry, that was Forsaken, not Kier), so it is all right with you if the mod's and the members here work together to destroy free thought on this forum ?

I guess you also think vB did a great job when their forum imploded too and that the direction here is fantastic ??

Read the third post in this thread: I was correcting him and pointing out that mjp was most likely joking.

If you think that moderators/members are trying to destroy 'free thought' (Quite honestly, people can think how they like, no one can stop that, unless you've got some long-distance mind zapping telepathic ray), you've probably missed plenty of posts that were left untouched by moderators, or where people actually discussed the subjects. As I said in the post before this one, some subjects -should- be closed, because they'll just go off-topic, or just do not belong here. While the lawsuit is going on, all it does is cause issues and hearsay, which does nothing to help anyone, and just gets on peoples nerves.

You're way to hung up on vB yo. Its the people who are continuing to carry the vB baggage that have made this forum more and more like vB was.

Forsaken, I must have hit a nerve with you, because you and Geeks are a couple of the folks that constantly try to moderate this forum of (here we go man) 'professional forum administrators', give it up and let Kier and his mod's take care of it man.

Kier knows all about the forum world, he has been around this business a few days.
but, but, but....... according to you, Kier's mods aren't doing a very good job.

Theres a reason why people keep saying to keep vBulletin/IB threads off this site: they almost always end up being flamed, going off topic, or getting bashed, and they are then closed by moderation.
It's not so much the subject that causes this, it's mostly the egos that always seem to think it's necessary to get personal with others so they can feel better about themselves...

Forsaken, just quit trying to tell people what they can and can't post, it is insulting, it is destructive, you are not a moderator here, this is a forum of forum administrators and owners, if the mod's here destroy the forum or don't do their jobs I can blame Kier later, but if they let the members destroy the forum I can blame them all now.

smiley-face-popcorn.gif

this is almost better than a episode of cops

Geeks, it would be nice if members here did not tell other members what to post about on this forum of forum administrators, that is what I'm getting tired of here, and all the crap about how we can't discuss vBulletin issues and how IB is not relevant here, the company that is claiming in a lawsuit that they own XF.

Let the moderators do their job and quit trying to be a "wanna be mod" on a forum of professional forum administrators would be the best thing members here could ever do for this forum.

To me is is very insulting when a member puts fourth an idea, then other "members" come in to the thread killing it instead of commenting on the idea presented in the thread, that is very pathetic behavior and improper forum protocol, 'wanna be mods' kill forum communities, this is not the first time this has happened here and I think mod's need to think about this, or this forum is doomed.

Anthony, I appreciate what you're saying but I said - "Can we please stop with the vB/IB hate threads."

I didn't say we shouldn't discuss IB or vBulletin, I'd simply prefer not to see threads that are posted just to lambast vB/IB.

I feel they are negative and pointless, and add nothing of value to the xF community. They don't put us in a particularly good light, and serve no real purpose. Would you agree with that?

I understand that there will always be that historical link between IB and xF - I just don't see any benefit in purely negative "bashing" threads - that's all.

I'm not a mod here; I don't want to be a mod here (it's a big enough job on my own forums); and I am as entitled to my opinion as you are to yours.

If people want to "sound off" about the situation, then by all means do so at their own forums/blogs/tw/fb pages, but I'd like to see this (xF) community - of which we are all a part - become an exciting, positive, forward thinking place that is a pleasure to visit.

Am I wrong in wanting that?

Forsaken, just quit trying to tell people what they can and can't post, it is insulting, it is destructive, you are not a moderator here, this is a forum of forum administrators and owners, if the mod's here destroy the forum or don't do their jobs I can blame Kier later, but if they let the members destroy the forum I can blame them all now.

I've told no one to do anything, and the one instance -you- are bringing up, was a suggestion because of how people were acting in the thread. It took something like 10 more pages for the changes to be brought around, and bets are it was more because everyone was fed up with seeing the whining.

Also, why don't -you- stop telling people to do something, when you're doing it yourself? Lead by example after your stance is made, rather then repeatedly make yourself out to be a hypocrite.
smiley-face-popcorn.gif

this is almost better than a episode of cops

It does almost feel like a billy club to the head...
How about you all move on with your lives? :) Just saying, is the internet that serious?

:) Which is why I'm leaving this thread because I get to go to work and sleep on my comfortable couch and do nothing today :).

LOL Geeks, give up your agenda, I guess you missed the entire point of all of my posts, you know, I tend to give up on people like you, so if I don't respond to your posts you will know why.

This single best way to "get one over" on IB is to completely walk away from vB
So you agree with me. Good.

the person buying your license would buy either way, better from you than from IB.
No, a person looking to buy a vB license for $50 would not likely buy it at full price. If they were inclined to paying full price they would do so. The more likely scenario is if they can't get a pay forum cheaply, they will use a free forum (or steal a pay forum).

Unless mjp is deviating away from his usual sarcasm and wit, this was probably meant in jest.
No, I'm serious. If I were trying to be funny (well, of course I don't really have to try), I would have come up with a much more colorful and absurd way to not sell your license.

I agree, this thread should be closed.
After you've posted the link to your vB license for sale. How convenient.

I grew up in an era of protest. Pre-fat-ass-in-front-of-the-TV complacence, pre-the time when the characters in Wall Street were seen as heroes. I really like this forum software. I do not, however, like it enough to switch to it and disrupt a 4 year old "community" that is doing quite well without it. But I am going to switch. For one reason; the actions of the company that produces the other forum.

These days a lot of people may see that as foolish (fans here aside). "Hey man, why should you care what they do?" But to me, that door is closed because of the behavior of IB. I cannot in good conscience, continue to contribute to their cause. I know that many of you feel the same way going back to the launch of 4.x. While I saw that as a colossal f'k up, and quite probably a shady move, I could still excuse it as the actions of idiots, and hang in there while they got it together. Recent events have shown that they are not (only) idiots, they are hostile and vindictive idiots engaged in strong-arm tactics that I can't be a part of. In my mind, profiting from the sale of their product myself would be tantamount to engaging in the same practices they do, and I can't do that. I'm weird like that.

I'm not insulting you if you do it, I'm just suggesting that there is a way to make your displeasure and disappointment known. Simply buying XF and selling your vB license to some l33t teenage chimp does not send a message to anyone. If you don't care about that, I understand. most people don't. Most people are only concerned with their own money, and somehow getting more of it. I understand that too. These are crucial times for many people. But if you are typing away on your computer, connected to the internet, from your warm home somewhere, you can afford to make a symbolic gesture. That's all I'm saying. Again, I don't expect to hurt them - I'm only one knucklehead - it's a personal statement that I have to make in order to live with myself. When it comes down to it, all we have are personal statements. This is mine. You don't have to agree with it or love it.

Next time I'll say something stupid or insult someone unnecessarily to balance this out. Promise.

but, but, but....... according to you, Kier's mods aren't doing a very good job.

How do you know what I think Peggy, would you like to know the truth, or should we keep it all inside on all about my XForo friends ?

oooohhh don't get yer knickers in a wad Anthony. If you'd made one of those posts above, and we edited or deleted it, you'd be the first to cry "free speech!".

Funny thing is, if us mods do moderate a thread, we're over-moderating - according to you.
If we leave it alone, we're not doing enough - according to you.

Funny, funny stuff.

Right Peggy, of course I already know that it is not possible to be "as good as I am", but you will get over that one day.

No, a person looking to buy a vB license for $50 would not likely buy it at full price. If they were inclined to paying full price they would do so. The more likely scenario is if they can't get a pay forum cheaply, they will use a free forum (or steal a pay forum).
1) this is still an opinion, not a statistical fact, 2) a lot of licenses are being sold for $150 and more. Some like the fact that they get a suite with branding free for the price of a new license without the branding free, 3) if they can't afford it now they might wait and save some more. 4) I think people looking to buy a vB probably like vB for specific reasons. If they didn't then why did they even consider buying it? So I think your theory might be flawed, but since there are not statistics, we can't be sure.

Either way if they buy from me they do not buy from IB. And there are no yearly fees in vB4 so no money for IB until vB5.

mjp, I hear what you're saying, but for me it is as simple as people not spending any more money with IB.

I recognise you and others feel much more strongly than that, and want to say / do something about it - I simply feel the official xF software/support site is not the most appropriate place for that.

There are plenty of non-official xF sites where such discussions can take place and all manner of "direct" action can be contemplated.

Apologies if my directness has caused any upset.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

OK, so on your wishes we will take the all discussions to "other forums" LOL !!!

Yes. Why not?

Please, can we only discuss fluffy bunnies and "nice" things from now on.

Actually, this would be a good place to start: http://www.forumpostersunion.com/showthread.php?t=8864

Seriously, Anthony, I'm not trying to "police" the xF forums, and appreciate that in "Off Topic" anything goes (well, almost) ... but why can't we have a moritorium on anti-IB/vB threads? They've been done to death already, and it would be great if we could remove that negativity and be more postitive.

What is it about my comments that you find so disagreeable? That you feel I'm trying to "boss" people around?

That certainly wasn't my intention - I just wanted to "change the tune" and be more positive.

Apologies if I've upset you, that certainly wasn't my intent.

Come on ... give us a hug ... you know you want to ... lol :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom