Thinking of Moving from vBulletin to XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaury

Hello!

So moving to XenForo was brought up once before, but ended up being rejected. However, I like XenForo about as much as vBulletin now and therefore think it might be nice to move just for something different.

Right now, this is not a definite, just a thought, mostly because I need to see if our owner can afford a license, but I brought up the idea of moving KH-Flare, which is on vBulletin 4.2.2 at the moment, to XenForo, which I'm awaiting feedback from the owner and our other staff, and I've got some questions:

1. There is now an official vBulletin to XenForo importer. Does this come with the software or is it a separate fee?
  2. Can we opt out from importing friends / contacts? When @mistypants moved KH-Vids from vBulletin to XenForo in August 2012, some friends imported as followers while others imported as following, which became quite confusing. We don't have a big member base, so I'd rather just go around and follow who I was friends with before.
  3. Following the above, we'd rather have a professional do the import to make sure nothing is lost (threads, posts, groups, group posts, etc.). Who would you guys suggest from a third-party service?
  4. How long would it take to set up XenForo and import our data, which can be seen on the Forum Statistics sidebar block in the the KH-Flare hyperlink above. However, if you don't feel like looking for the statistics, we have 1,320 threads, 10,514 posts and 88 members plus all the group posts, although I'm not sure if those are counted.
  5. How are private and visitor messages imported?
These are all the questions I can think of at the moment.

Friends should be imported as a a following / follower pair. IE, both members should end up following each other. However, if you feel it necessary, the buddy and ignore lists step can be skipped.

Private Messages are imported individually.

Visitor messages should come through as comments on the respective members profile.

Friends should be imported as a a following / follower pair. IE, both members should end up following each other. However, if you feel it necessary, the buddy and ignore lists step can be skipped.

Private Messages are imported individually.

Visitor messages should come through as comments on the respective members profile.

For PMs, I may remedy that by emptying all inboxes before the move (I'll ask anyone if they have anything important first, of course)

I remember that working differently with KH-Vids, although that's perhaps because Misty used Jake Bunce's unofficial importer since there wasn't an official one at the time. See this thread (the friends subject starts on post #11).

Following the above, we'd rather have a professional do the import to make sure nothing is lost (threads, posts, groups, group posts, etc.). Who would you guys suggest from a third-party service?
Your board is small, so I do not see any problem doing the import yourself. You should not lose anything.

Additionaly, take a look at the help document here: http://xenforo.com/help/importing/

The following screenshot show what is imported with the importer.
vbulletin_4-to-xenforo_1-2-png.53230

Last edited:

I don't suppose there's any way of importing them and keeping them together, is there?

For example, here.

"Happy birthday Amaury" would be the profile post while the other two would be comments of the profile post.

If they are comments in vBulletin, yes, they should be comments in XenForo. You have the ability to do test imports after the purchase of a license.

Thank you.

I was asking for the same reason I asked about the friends and contacts import. When @mistypants moved KH-Vids to XenForo, there was only @Jake Bunce's unofficial importer, I believe. She imported everything (PMs, VMs, etc.) However, you have to go back and forth between profiles to read conversations from before the move.

If you responded to a post on your profile on the other user's profile, you will still have to jump between profiles. I do not remember how profile posts on vBulletin work, so if there are actual post comments, it should come through as a comment.

If you responded to a post on your profile on the other user's profile, you will still have to jump between profiles. I do not remember how profile posts on vBulletin work, so if there are actual post comments, it should come through as a comment.

You should be able to view this.

You can then click View Conversation to view a conversation only between you and whatever member as shown in the screenshot above. (You should also be able to view that now. I temporarily changed my privacy settings for VMs.)

Last edited:
The conversation posts exists on each individual members profile (not how I remembered them working). So yes, you will have to jump between each members profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom