Thinking of making the switch

AGD-Andy

I am thinking of converting from vBulletin version 4.2.2 to xenForo. I do have some plugins, but most of them are actually custom plugins. My site is fairly customized. I did none of the customization, but wouldn't mind being able to do that myself instead of outsourcing everything.

How easy is the customization? Plugins easy to make?

I am a coder, but not a great one when it comes to php and I don't know java :) I can learn, though. I know asp.net mostly and some php. Given examples I am sure I could create.

I guess what I am saying is that a GOOD reason to convert would be to give myself the ability to customize the system myself more than outsourcing it to everyone else. The forum is probably just small-sized (maybe medium sized) - about 43k posts, 6.3k threads, 4.5k members.

I know that's not a lot of information... but I really want to make this move. I'm tired of vBulletin and their carelessness in updating the software (when they do, in fact, update it)

I am thinking of converting from vBulletin version 4.2.2 to xenForo. I do have some plugins, but most of them are actually custom plugins. My site is fairly customized. I did none of the customization, but wouldn't mind being able to do that myself instead of outsourcing everything.

How easy is the customization? Plugins easy to make?

I am a coder, but not a great one when it comes to php and I don't know java :) I can learn, though. I know asp.net mostly and some php. Given examples I am sure I could create.

I guess what I am saying is that a GOOD reason to convert would be to give myself the ability to customize the system myself more than outsourcing it to everyone else. The forum is probably just small-sized (maybe medium sized) - about 43k posts, 6.3k threads, 4.5k members.

I know that's not a lot of information... but I really want to make this move. I'm tired of vBulletin and their carelessness in updating the software (when they do, in fact, update it)

Customisation is very easy in xenforo if your asking about styling. You have Style properties, color palette and EXTRA.CSS at your disposal also the ability to create your own custom Style properties to make things easier. As for plugins, I have asked many developers if it's easier to develop add-ons for xenforo and most have said yes and preferred developing on xenforo. But like yourself, i'm not a coder so that question is best responded by the advanced devs on this community.

But the styling system in xenforo is excellent and easy if you know basic html and css.

Sure... DRE... now I feel a bit stupid ;) I saw some information, but not all of those. Homework time, thanks.

I was looking for some perspective from both coders and others who have made a similar switch as well.

Oh in that case, my vBulletin to Xenforo journey's documented here. Then I merged my experimental Xenforo forum into my vBulletin-turned-Xenforo forum here. Then I changed the name here and now it rests at it's latest incarnation here until I feel like changing the name again.

Thank you, I have purchased.. installed.. converted (as a test) my board. Will just have to think about how to fix the following:

* vbSEO URLs and how to make sure they go to the same spot
* bbCode (custom) and how to make that work again (big issue with my board, there is a lot of bbcode usage that is imporant)
* Avatars - some imported, some didn't
* HTML - the forums that had HTML posts, show up as plain text

I used the importer in the admin.. not the 'Big Board Importer'. I'm not sure what the difference would be, but also not sure I would want to spend $150 without knowing that in advance :)

I used the importer in the admin.. not the 'Big Board Importer'. I'm not sure what the difference would be, but also not sure I would want to spend $150 without knowing that in advance :)

The big board importer is designed for forums of 1M+ posts, the built in importer is more than suitable for your needs ;)

oh yeah... and fix the following as well:

* Blogs - what to do with them. Some of my members use that feature.

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by "fix", but I assume you are looking to convert over your blog after I read the whole thread. :)

There are two blog addons http://xenforo.com/community/resources/better-blogs.1055/ and http://xenforo.com/community/resources/xi-blog.713/ which are worth looking at.

For me, Better Blog is a good piece of blog addon, the design used to be "out of the way" but it has been improved since then. Better Blog's developer is more active in fixing bugs and respond to support questions.

On the other hand, XI Blog is simpler and I personally use this for my forum. It's not yet responsive but it does cope quite well (maybe 80%) with xenForo's responsive design. With XI Blog, you can't expect much from the developer (it's how I personally feel) because they do not plan to update XI Blog to be a fully responsive blog in near future and support hasn't been very good.

The above is based on my personal experiences with both blog addons. I hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
Thank you, I have purchased.. installed.. converted (as a test) my board. Will just have to think about how to fix the following
You may want to associate your forum user name with your license if you want access to the customer forums and resources, as well as receive support.

Noone answered the coding side of things...

Well, let me :)

When I came to xenForo (from vB4), I didn't know OOP PHP at all. That's completely not the case now.

I found a single addon development thread, and everything just sort of clicked from there. The class proxy stystem makes for easy to create addons, as well as advanced addons as well.

I would say it's pretty easy to learn how to code addons for xenForo, with only basic PHP knowledge, just by looking at the source from other addons (but not copying!).

Liam

Thanks for that info. I may have to try my hand at coding after I get the design handed over to me. I'm very interested in taking over control. I also have no OOP PHP experience. The bulk of my coding experience is actually .NET, but have done my fair share of PHP coding for some websites. Just more hack-coding, than actual coding :) A bunch of trial and error.

Top Bottom