Thinking about XF, but a question first.

iTech278

EDIT: Thanks for the answers! Looks like I misunderstood the upgrade policy - I was thinking you had to pay the $40 to continue to use the old version as well (I was tired :P)

Hello!

I love XenForo, however there is one thing that makes me very nervous. I clicked "Buy" to see what came with the $140 price tag, and everything looked great until I saw "Support and upgrade access can currently be extended for $40 for an additional 12 months" So, the main thing holding me back from buying is that. Does this mean after 12 months I have to pay $40 to continue to be able to update my forum?

Confirmed (wasn't quite sure myself but suspected you could).

Of course, I cannot foresee any valid reason for this...unless your computers all blew up, your offsite backups all failed, your CD's all melted and your house burned down...all at the same time.

Most of us keep the software we pay and download on a drive or some other media, just in case we need to install it again. :D Any self respecting web admin should be far beyond basic operating software backups.

Still, I guess it's nice to know it's available. :coffee:

Of course, I cannot foresee any valid reason for this...unless your computers all blew up, your offsite backups all failed, your CD's all melted and your house burned down...all at the same time.

Most of us keep the software we pay and download on a drive or some other media, just in case we need to install it again. :D Any self respecting web admin should be far beyond basic operating software backups.

Totally agree.:D

*goes to download files for backup purposes*

You can just renew it. Or you don't even have to renew it and use forum until a new version comes out. You don't even have to renew it then and keep the old version.
With new version you mean xf2 right? But if I do not renew my license I won't even get any further updates for xf1 right?

Still, I guess it's nice to know it's available. :coffee:

A large asteroid could hit the earth. If it hit the right spot it might take out the hosting company and his house.

Okay, thanks! :) Also, one more thing: if I were to buy XenForo, and my "update period" expired a year later, would I still be able to sign in to my account and download the old version again if I wanted to do something like transfer my outdated license to another site?

Yes, you can download the last version you were entitled to.

With new version you mean xf2 right? But if I do not renew my license I won't even get any further updates for xf1 right?
There is no xf2 yet. When xf2 comes out, it will probably be able to launch a space shuttle and make you an omelet.

For now we just have xf1, which only does forums well. Among the continuing versions such as 1.1.2, 1.1.3, 1.2, at whatever stage you enter into the stream, that version you will be able to retain without limit. You won't get any future versions, but the version you bought you'll be able to use and forever download without limit.

Another quick question: If I buy one license, can I install the software on one website, as well as a private local server only for testing (like through LAMP or WAMP)?
Yes, or an internet facing set up as long as it's in a password protected directory

http://xenforo.com/license-agreement

1. Grant and Scope of License
Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and the payment by You of the applicable fee for the Software, XenForo Limited grants You a limited, non-exclusive, worldwide license to install, download and use a single instance of the Software ("License") through a single installation. Each License may run one instance of the Software, accessible via one URL. Any attempt to circumvent this limitation is prohibited and will result in the License being revoked.
Before deploying the Software, you must register in the XenForo.com customer area the address (URL) at which You will use the License. This URL must be kept up-to-date. You may create a single additional test installation for the purpose of testing the Software. Any test installation of this kind must be password protected, and access to it must be limited to You and Your website staff.

Top Bottom