Thinking about XF, but a question first.

iTech278

EDIT: Thanks for the answers! Looks like I misunderstood the upgrade policy - I was thinking you had to pay the $40 to continue to use the old version as well (I was tired :P)

Hello!

I love XenForo, however there is one thing that makes me very nervous. I clicked "Buy" to see what came with the $140 price tag, and everything looked great until I saw "Support and upgrade access can currently be extended for $40 for an additional 12 months" So, the main thing holding me back from buying is that. Does this mean after 12 months I have to pay $40 to continue to be able to update my forum?

Oh, okay. That's what I was afraid of :(

You think you should get all the new versions for life? :confused:

Boy I wish Microsoft, Norton, and every other software company did that....that would be sweeeeeeeeet! NOT! They'd go out of business. You get new features with those updates....features you never paid for in the original package....plus support ticket system. It's really well worth the $40.

why? You buy the forum 140 today use it for a year and if updates come out, you can update your account.. If after a year you want to continue to receive updates than pay the 40 dollars..
You think you should get all the new versions for life? :confused:

Boy I wish Microsoft, Norton, and every other software company did that....that would be sweeeeeeeeet! NOT! They'd go out of business. You get new features with those updates....features you never paid for in the original package....plus support ticket system. It's really well worth the $40.

I can understand why. :) It did look a little like I was expecting to not have to pay a renewal fee :) I don't make any money from communities that I run so I guess the prices seem steeper in my eyes. :p If I decide to go proprietary, I will definitely go XenForo without a doubt! :D

EDIT: Looking back at this post...I used a lot of emoticons, didn't I? :)

I can understand why. :) It did look a little like I was expecting to not have to pay a renewal fee :) I don't make any money from communities that I run so I guess the prices seem steeper in my eyes. :p If I decide to go proprietary, I will definitely go XenForo without a doubt! :D

you got a point..:cool:

My forum is also a not-for profit. I think most are. For me it's a hobby that has taught me more than any class I've ever taken.

My forum is also a not-for profit. I think most are. For me it's a hobby that has taught me more than any class I've ever taken.
It's a hobby for me too. I've been doing this stuff since about 2009, so I'm pretty experienced at it (by 'it' I mean computer networks, online communities, troubleshooting, etc). Been in a couple times to help my old school's IT dept with things like Windows domains, mass cloning, etc. :)

Wait a minute. Just thought this through and now I get it. :) I was thinking before that you had to pay $40 to keep the version you already had...now it makes more sense. Sorry about that; it's midnight here..a little tired :p

No problem. Like with any other software, you would be entitled to security patches, but for upgrades to newer versions, you pay a yearly fee. You aren't required to pay the fee, as you can always just continue to use your current version after your year runs out. You just wont get new features via updates.

No problem. Like with any other software, you would be entitled to security patches, but for upgrades to newer versions, you pay a yearly fee. You aren't required to pay the fee, as you can always just continue to use your current version after your year runs out. You just wont get new features via updates.
Okay, thanks! :) Also, one more thing: if I were to buy XenForo, and my "update period" expired a year later, would I still be able to sign in to my account and download the old version again if I wanted to do something like transfer my outdated license to another site?

Top Bottom