Thinking about learning some programing

=MGN=RedEagle

Hi guys,

I am thinking about taking 30 min a day to learn programing. I have a few questions:
  • Where can I find out which languages are most useful to my areas of interest?
  • Where can I find great tutorials on learning how to code
I am thinking about wanting to make a simple but expandable mobile game.

Language wise it'll depend what you want to do.

Mobile (or desktop) games, go for something like C++ as this can be used on all platforms. Going for something like Java you can also use it on multiple platforms, but not iOS and it'll be clunky on desktops (Minecraft is a prime example of wrong choice of language, being Java severely limits the game).

If you're programming desktop apps, again C++, or C#. If you're making web-based software, PHP, Python or Ruby. If t might eventually be released/sold to others (i.e like XenForo is), then go with PHP as it's much more widely supported on hosting platforms.

You need to come up with a project really. Throwing yourself into a random programming language with no 'real task' will be a bit slow and you're more likely to give up.

Thanks so much for this. I'm looking to help create a mobile game that can be made cross platform for PC, iOS and android devices. Moreover, I would like it to be in modifiable by our user base. I want anybody passionate to be able to write modifications or change or make their own versions of what we create.

I know I won't have the time to create the whole game but I feel like I need to be somewhat proficient in these programming languages so that I can help guide the building process.

Someone suggested HTML5 which shocked me quite a bit. Are there any known and successful it's HTML 5 games that have taken off on mobile platforms?

If you're going for mobile gaming, go with Unity and C# - I'm doing it myself right now as a sort of side-project challenge. I bought a course on one of the Udemy sales (never, ever pay full price on Udemy, you can get all the courses at a fraction of the cost as they run so many sales.

The course I bought was 'Learn To Code by Making Games - Complete Unity 5 Developer'. I'm already a PHP developer but as it was moving into C# I thought it was best to get an all-encompassing course.

They also emailed me a couple of days ago to let me know that the course would be expanded to include guides on making 3d games as well as the 2d ones they already support, which is pretty cool.

The reason I recommend Unity with C# is because:

- Unity is cross platform
- It just became free to use and to sell your games with
- By learning C# you can use that elsewhere, as that is also cross platform.
- Once you know C# its pretty trivial to learn C, PHP, etc.

I'd avoid Java. It's not all that cross platform anymore, and is a complete dog if you run a Java VM on OS X or iOS. It's an inherently slow language, and that's not something you want when dealing with battery powered devices, or games. It's not a hard language to learn, but it's just got such a bloated runtime that it's not worth it (IMO) unless you're working solely with Android as that uses its own java interpreter.

HTML5 is an option, but it's a limited one. Plus you're giving everyone free access to your sourcecode.

The only successful HTML5 game that I'm aware of is Game Dev Tycoon.

If you're going for mobile gaming, go with Unity and C# - I'm doing it myself right now as a sort of side-project challenge. I bought a course on one of the Udemy sales (never, ever pay full price on Udemy, you can get all the courses at a fraction of the cost as they run so many sales.

The course I bought was 'Learn To Code by Making Games - Complete Unity 5 Developer'. I'm already a PHP developer but as it was moving into C# I thought it was best to get an all-encompassing course.

They also emailed me a couple of days ago to let me know that the course would be expanded to include guides on making 3d games as well as the 2d ones they already support, which is pretty cool.

The reason I recommend Unity with C# is because:

- Unity is cross platform
- It just became free to use and to sell your games with
- By learning C# you can use that elsewhere, as that is also cross platform.
- Once you know C# its pretty trivial to learn C, PHP, etc.

I'd avoid Java. It's not all that cross platform anymore, and is a complete dog if you run a Java VM on OS X or iOS. It's an inherently slow language, and that's not something you want when dealing with battery powered devices, or games. It's not a hard language to learn, but it's just got such a bloated runtime that it's not worth it (IMO) unless you're working solely with Android as that uses its own java interpreter.

HTML5 is an option, but it's a limited one. Plus you're giving everyone free access to your sourcecode.

The only successful HTML5 game that I'm aware of is Game Dev Tycoon.
I got in touch with the developer of some tech I highly respect and he said almost perfectly what you have here. Start in Unity or Unreal and learn C#. I think I am going to go with C# and Unity. Seems like its all about diving in there!

Ya, I have been very sceptical about HTML5. I appreciate your input on that. That is why this site is awesome... so much useful input. Thanks all!

Quick question, I want to make games people can make videos in. I want to be as open as possible with copyright and such as far as videos and fan art. How can I avoid pitfalls in that regard? Will elements in Unity be a problem with that... feel kinda newbie lol... I have no idea.

Games in unreal cannot work on mobile can they?

Top Bottom