The Virtually Gifted

JABRONI

lol.png
The Virtually Gifted
Where Gaming Matters.
Critiques are welcome & appreciated =]

First turn off: Shoutbox. Need I say more? Shoutboxes can either make or break a forum. It's always broke the forums I've seen, and they were highly active even before adding one in.

Second turn off: Konnichiwa! -- Never.Ever.Use.Japanese.When.Speaking.English.

I am a fan of anime avatars, anime shows, yes, but I truly hate whenever someone uses Japanese when speaking in English. example: "that cat is so kawaii!!" It's just a personal pet peeve of mine, though. Other than those things I like it over all.

I don't understand the gaming websites at all but just from a 'feel' point of view I liked the undefineable background and the colors. I don't know anything about shoutboxes, if they're good or bad for your industry. Wishing you great success!

I guess shoutboxes really depend on the forum.
I've had them on two and got little use after the first week.

The last game I played was probably on my Atari 800, so I have no input when it comes to gaming sites, sorry.
I do like the background though.
The VG is a bit jagged.
It took me a little while to find the login on the top. Guess I'm just used to finding them on the upper right.
Good luck.

I personally avoid shoutbox forums, just because I already know what the outcome will be by adding one. I can see adding one for like, a live blog, or even a live stream. If anything, I'd use the shoutbox for special events like what I mentioned, or even something else.

Great to see another gaming forum :)

About the shout box - it's a matter of taste, I believe. We use it but at the very bottom of our forums - and then I have to admit it's not very active. I used it on www.thatgameforum.com too - and in the top which I could see made it more busy. Question is where you wish to place your 'power'. For some a shout box is an annoying 'noisy' figure and for others it's yet a great tool to communicate and interact with people.

I really like the simplicity of the forum. It seems easy and 'clean'. I have to admit that I don't like the background that much. It seems a little wicket that you can't see what it is (and I feel I have to squeese my eyes together to see it lol). I always beleived, that if you wish to show a picture, show it - don't hide it. As an example you're welcome to have a look at my new (not yet open for 'public' but you can see it) forum here: www.cyrenforum.com - choose Cyrene in the style chooser - I used a full sized background picture there. We also use background pictures on www.entropiaplanets.com - but the forum itself is wider than the Cyrene Forum and I didn't use a full background picture but a picture only visible in the left side - merging into the bg color.

I really like the newest members widget at the bottom. Where did you get that?

Anyway, there are many ways of doing it - and you did a good over all job (y) - I wish you all the best :)

Looking good Jabroni, I like that you've moved the searchbox.

Shoutboxes can be good if used correctly and have their place. On my gaming forum members often use it exactly for that it's intended - 'shoutouts', people might drop in to say hey and check in and we can have more casual random banter in the box. If we want to have a real discussion or focus more on a particular topic then a thread is created. It seems to work well for us.

A lot has changed since I first posted this so thought I would give it a good ol' bumpskis. What do you guys think of the design and layout of everything?

I personally avoid shoutbox forums, just because I already know what the outcome will be by adding one. I can see adding one for like, a live blog, or even a live stream. If anything, I'd use the shoutbox for special events like what I mentioned, or even something else.
IMO: Shoutboxes takes away from people actually reading and replying to the actual forum. People will simply come to the forum to just 'chat in the box' with whoever they see online at the same time. This is how a shoutbox can kill a forum ;-)

I always like seeing the xenbook theme but I can't get used to the forum navigation menus being at the top right for some reason. If you put them in your sub navigation link on the left that would be more convenient IMG. I like the poll sidebar. Gonna get one of those.

I don't see anything wrong with the shoutbox as long as your members actually request it. Everytime I take the shoutbox down my members start complaining and moaning. Give the people what they want. *shrugs*

Top Bottom