Fixed  The text editor size is growing exponentially

Floren

I just finished typing a small reply.
For each key I press, the editor box height increases by 1 line.
When I press Enter, it increases by 3 lines.

It was not doing this yesterday... Everything is fine on my live board, so is not a browser issue.
Edit: Using Google Chrome 7.0.514

Not to be too obvious, but does the problem happen here on xenforo.com? What about in different browsers?

I have never had this problem here or anywhere else. :confused:

Everything is fine on my live board, so is not a browser issue.

Oops, I didn't see this the first time. :oops:

I would be inclined to do some systematic troubleshooting to isolate the problem. If you can isolate it to the forum itself then I would start looking at custom templates, addons, etc. Or even file customizations / problems.

I suppose it could be a bug, but I can't reproduce it myself.

Have you tried a hard refresh? It could be a .js issue.
There have been some updates rolled out today but I don't know if that included any .js changes.

Edit: Apparently the editor .js was changed today so that is probably the cause of the problem.

For each key I press, the editor box height increases by 1 line.
And here I thought I was the only one!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
BTW, this happens on new threads too!
It looks like it does stop eventually, but it does grow and grow and grow ;)

Which OS/version of Chrome?

I'm using Win 7 with Chrome and haven't seen that particular problem.

Definitely a Chrome related bug.

I've just "upgraded" from 6.0.472.63 to 7.0.517.41 and the problem has started.

Certainly happens to me now I have updated to Chrome 7. Doesn't grow forever though, it seems to have a maximum size.

It is browser specific though.
I see what you mean now... it does not do it with other browsers, on xenforo.com site.
IMO, Chrome is the only developer friendly browser who stays always on the technology edge and allows developers to update their code properly. Wait a little until other bloated browsers catch up. :)

This is fixed now. Chrome can be finicky with its cache usage, so it may take a little time to go away.

If you're interested, it looks like Chrome 7 reports the scrollHeight of an iframe document to be the height of the frame, not the content. Chrome 6 doesn't do this, and it doesn't seem like the other browsers do. There appears to be an open bug report about it.

Unfortunately, the improvements I added to the "elastic" WYSIWYG boxes had to be removed for WebKit because of this.

Thanks Mike.

I may consider going back to Firefox then if using Chrome is going to mean less/buggy functionality.

Top Bottom