The standard no-compete clause

I knew of a person who worked for a package shipping company ... then opened up a new store with a different shipping company in the same city and he got he ass sued left,right,and center.

While I don't believe that the second point is illegal in the UK ("You shall not work for anyone else whilst you are employed by the Company without the express consent of the Company."), I've never had any trouble negotiating with employers to resolve any difficulties around those kind of clauses.

If you don't ask, you don't get :)

I'm just going to ask them about that second point, and request that they clarify the first about being within a 10mile radius. Technically, at the moment, I am self employed as a company Director and as a consultant (contract) to another company.

I'm pretty sure it's actually illegal. It basically says he's not allowed to work in the same industry for at least a year after quitting that company, which they can't possibly hold up in court (which you already implied).
That's held up and enforced in some courts. I seen people's careers ruined by it in my Media Law class.

The example they gave in class was about the same or worse than Shamil's.

Non-compete clauses for in state businesses aren't worth anything in my state nor for outside businesses (nexus). I just found this out recently and I had all my employees sign a loose non-compete after employment. We ended up having to discuss it with legal and we just announced the non-compete was invalidated and they were free to work with whichever company they want in our field. I don't even know why I drew one up in the first place.

Top Bottom