The Ladies' Lounge

Prayers going out to you and your father for his upcoming surgery. Let us know how he does, please.

And I'm sorry your son's best friend lost his Mother, I know how hard it is to lose your Mother. It hurts regardless of age. Mine has been gone since 2002, and it still hurts. Her birthday was yesterday, had she still been alive, she would have been 85. It will take time but some day he will be okay, the hurt will never go away but it will recede.

As to your son, wow, I hope he gets well soon. Draining for you and him. I hope his arm heals okay.

Liz

Thanks Liz it means a lot!

Sorry to hear about your Mother, I can only imagine how hard that must be - even now, the pain of losing someone so close that you love so much never really goes away does it.

Unfortunately my son is a long way off healing, as they haven't actually done anything to treat his arm yet, they have spent the last two and a half weeks doing tests and keeping us waiting... but they haven't actually "done" anything yet, nor put in place a plan of what they will do.. it has been very frustrating!

Thanks for your kind thoughts though :) I hope his cold/flu hacking cough thing clears up soon as even if they wanted too I wouldn't let them do surgery until his respiratory tract is 100% again!

Kim - how's your son? Have they treated his arm yet? What kinds of tests were they doing for a fracture? Our son had two unicameral bone cysts in his femurs about three years ago, one of which caused a fracture, so I'm kind of curious to know what they're looking for/at with your son. Hopefully, like in our case, it turns out to be something benign!

Speaking of our son - he broke his front tooth last night, roughhousing with his sister. Thankfully, we found a great local dentist who did an unusual procedure and actually reattached the broken tooth!

alexs-tooth-broke-2.webp

alexs-tooth-broke-4.webp

Cost less than 10% of what the original estimate was for root canal + crown. Whew! With no dental insurance, this kind of thing is always scary!

Hopefully everyone else is doing ok -plugging along? Updates, please!

Kim - how's your son? Have they treated his arm yet? What kinds of tests were they doing for a fracture? Our son had two unicameral bone cysts in his femurs about three years ago, one of which caused a fracture, so I'm kind of curious to know what they're looking for/at with your son. Hopefully, like in our case, it turns out to be something benign!

Speaking of our son - he broke his front tooth last night, roughhousing with his sister. Thankfully, we found a great local dentist who did an unusual procedure and actually reattached the broken tooth!

View attachment 13064

View attachment 13065

Cost less than 10% of what the original estimate was for root canal + crown. Whew! With no dental insurance, this kind of thing is always scary!

Hi Susan,

Not as yet! We are going in for more XRays today, the Surgeon wanted some more for some reason, they already have about 10 XRays, an MRI and a CT scan >_< His arm is not fractured after all, it is totally dislocated, in a very bizarre way..

His Radius is sitting outside the joint by a good 2cm and has been like that for a very long time, so much so that the end of the bone has grown to be the wrong shape, so it cannot go in now it will have to be surgically reshaped :(

Here is a diagram ...

roberts_radial.webp

How it happened, we don't know, I can't imagine how he has lived with the pain for so long, and it might just explain a lot of his issues, like the very poor handwriting, and the awkward movements that we had just put down to his Asperger's.

Wow on your son's tooth, I am really glad to hear it got fixed so quickly and relatively cheaply, I haven't heard of them re-attaching the tooth, but I guess it makes perfect sense! :D Poor kid it must have been quite painful and shocking when it happened too!

Thanks for asking Susan :)

Susan, he's a cutie, but glad you found someone to fix his tooth.

Yes, Kim, how is your son, Inquiring minds want to know?????

I ended the day covered in yellow...still not sure I got it all off me but the painting is DONE. Got both the kitchen and the bath done. The bathroom looks darker than the kitchen altho both are the same color, used the same paint can even. And uesd two coats for each one. I used a color by Behr that I can't find on their online chart but Valspar had one almost the exact same color (Called Spun Honey, if you go here and type in Spun Honey, you will see it, it's brighter on the walls: http://www.valsparpaint.com/en/explore-colors/color-selector/index.html )

Tomorrow, I start the tiling. And then I am done for awhile til we get the stuff to redo the countertops. And to add the cabinet in the kitchen. That will be next month. It will be May before the floor in the kitchen gets done. But I was NOT careful while painting so the current one is a mess, :) I have paint splatters all over it. Nope, didn't bother with drop cloths.

Liz

Hi Susan,

Not as yet! We are going in for more XRays today, the Surgeon wanted some more for some reason, they already have about 10 XRays, an MRI and a CT scan >_< His arm is not fractured after all, it is totally dislocated, in a very bizarre way..

His Radius is sitting outside the joint by a good 2cm and has been like that for a very long time, so much so that the end of the bone has grown to be the wrong shape, so it cannot go in now it will have to be surgically reshaped :(

Here is a diagram ...

View attachment 13067

How it happened, we don't know, I can't imagine how he has lived with the pain for so long, and it might just explain a lot of his issues, like the very poor handwriting, and the awkward movements that we had just put down to his Asperger's.
OUCH, OUCH, OUCH, that hurts just to look at it...poor kid. If it's been that way for quite some time, then going in and just dropping it back in isn't going to be as easy as one might think, his forearm is going to be too short.

Liz

OUCH, OUCH, OUCH, that hurts just to look at it...poor kid. If it's been that way for quite some time, then going in and just dropping it back in isn't going to be as easy as one might think, his forearm is going to be too short.

Liz

Yeah it does look painful poor kid :( and yes, as it has been out so long the bone end (or radius head) has grown into a different shape, so they can't just pop it back in, it will have to be surgically reshaped :(

On another note...

My Dad goes in to hospital on Sunday for Open heart surgery on Monday, he is having his aortic valve replaced... I am immensely worried about that too :(

Glad to hear you have your painting done Liz! :D I know what you mean about the difference in colours between rooms, we ended up using the same paint, but in different strengths 1/4 and 1/2 strength in some rooms, so it looks the same throughout.

Would love to see some photos :)

Hi Susan,

Here is a diagram ...

View attachment 13067
YOWSA! That does look painful! Poor guy! How old is he again? What we found when Alex had his surgery (actually 2 in six months) was that he was AMAZINGLY resilient. Kids recuperate SO fast - he was in surgery for a hole in his femur at Thanksgiving, and walking with no support in February.

Here's hoping your guy is just as strong and quick to heal!

Liz -you've been doing a LOT of work! We've been off the kitchen re-do bandwagon since before Christmas, but we've got to get back on and finish. I'd love to see pictures!

Susan

YOWSA! That does look painful! Poor guy! How old is he again? What we found when Alex had his surgery (actually 2 in six months) was that he was AMAZINGLY resilient. Kids recuperate SO fast - he was in surgery for a hole in his femur at Thanksgiving, and walking with no support in February.

Here's hoping your guy is just as strong and quick to heal!

Liz -you've been doing a LOT of work! We've been off the kitchen re-do bandwagon since before Christmas, but we've got to get back on and finish. I'd love to see pictures!

Susan

He turned 15 in January, they think this injury is at least 5 years old :o truly shocking!

Yeah they are resilient little things! I am hoping he will recover well and have full use of his right arm, there is some conjecture about that too!

Glad to hear Alex did so well with his surgery!

I have also been feeling very down about all the disasters and calamities and turmoil this year, starting with the Floods in QLD, Cyclones, Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Middle East... My son's best friend's Mother died very suddenly a few weeks ago too... which has been hard to process for him, and for us... My Father has to go in for Open Heart surgery in a few weeks, he needs an Aortic Valve replacement - it's all a bit overwhelming tbh.

I understand what you mean about all the things that are happening in the world right now! It's a bit overwhelming isn't it? I was beside myself yesterday and didn't sleep at all because I was so worried that my aunt had been hurt or worse in the bomb that went off in Jerusalem yesterday. Thankfully she's safe, but gosh I was a wreck. How much worse it must be for all the people stuck in the middle of the various disasters that have been happening around the world! :(

I'm sorry about your son's friend's mother - how awful! :(

And then having to deal wiht your son's arm and being ill and your father's surgery - it's no wonder you're feeling so overwhelmed hon. (((((Dragonfly)))))))

Gosh that looks so painful!! I'm sorry he (and you) are having to deal with that! It looks horrible - poor thing! :(

I'm so glad you were able to get your son's tooth sorted out so easily! And for less money. :) I agree with Liz - he's a cutie! :)

I'm okay... extremely relieved that my aunt who lives in Jerusalem is safe and well after the bomb yesterday. I didn't hear from her until later today and I was so worried - she doesn't have any other family out there and she's getting older and takes the bus all the time... so as you can imagine I was really scared.

I'm exhausted now though!

How are you doing?

Missing you girls! How are you all doing?
Doing good here. Down over 40 inches and right at 50 lbs. (49 to be exact). I have 9 lbs to go before I hit a normal BMI. Then I want to go about 10-15 lbs beyond that to be on the safe side. I can go as low as 108 before I get too low so being between 120-130 will do fine.

My husband is also THIS close to a normal BMI. He only has about 11 lbs to go.

We started into real exercise these last two weeks. Walking on a treadmill at least twice a week and we tried spinning Fri, did over 15 miles in 45 mins.

I've also taken control of a digital scrapping store this last month. Keeping me very busy.

So how are you doing?

Doing good here. Down over 40 inches and right at 50 lbs. (49 to be exact). I have 9 lbs to go before I hit a normal BMI. Then I want to go about 10-15 lbs beyond that to be on the safe side. I can go as low as 108 before I get too low so being between 120-130 will do fine.

We started into real exercise these last two weeks. Walking on a treadmill at least twice a week and we tried spinning Fri, did over 15 miles in 45 mins.

I've also taken control of a digital scrapping store this last month. Keeping me very busy.

So how are you doing?

Hi Liz, thanks for the update.. and WOW :D that is amazing! You are both doing so well, keep up the good work!

Good for you on the new site too, lol couldn't keep away hey :p I hope you enjoy it!

For me... doing OK, bit of a difficult weekend, 6 year anniversary of the death of my younger brother on Saturday, so that was a bit of a sad day.

But it was Mother's Day on Sunday, and that was lovely, got breakfast in bed, and went to visit my Mother for lunch, Dinner cooked for me.. lol was wonderful!

So how are you doing?

Wow that's awesome Liz! You're both doing so well!! :D

The digital scrapping store sounds interesting - is that like scrapbooking stuff?

I'm doing lol... had a good time visiting my old schoolfriends and teachers at a reunion thing in sunny Sussex last weekend - the weather was glorious! :) Had a hospital appointment last week that's stirred up a few things, so just trying to deal with that, but other than that I'm okay. :)

Hi Liz, thanks for the update.. and WOW :D that is amazing! You are both doing so well, keep up the good work!

Good for you on the new site too, lol couldn't keep away hey :p I hope you enjoy it!

For me... doing OK, bit of a difficult weekend, 6 year anniversary of the death of my younger brother on Saturday, so that was a bit of a sad day.

But it was Mother's Day on Sunday, and that was lovely, got breakfast in bed, and went to visit my Mother for lunch, Dinner cooked for me.. lol was wonderful!

Gosh Kim, I'm sorry about the anniversary - they're always so hard. :( I hope you're being gentle with yourself. ((((((Kim)))))))

I'm glad you got a bit of spoiling for Mother's Day - what did you have for dinner?

Wow - Elizabeth! Sounds like you've been through quite a change! Congratulations to both you and hubby.

Kim - Glad you had a nice Mother's Day. How's your son doing with his arm? Sorry to hear about your brother - I lost my older brother nearly 9 years ago. It gets easier, but not by much.

Jo - thanks for asking! I've been thinking about you ladies as well. I haven't been around here much as we've decided to develop on IPS for our current site (far too big and too much complexity for XF in its current iteration), but I hope to be back when we're ready to launch a new project. :D

Susan

Jo - thanks for asking! I've been thinking about you ladies as well. I haven't been around here much as we've decided to develop on IPS for our current site (far too big and too much complexity for XF in its current iteration), but I hope to be back when we're ready to launch a new project. :D

Susan

Good to see you Susan! :) I hear you on the complexities of your current site - we're having similar issues... just holding on and hoping we can somehow make xf work for our needs, though it's proving to be a bit more difficult than we originally though. I'm sure it'll get there eventually though.

Wow - Elizabeth! Sounds like you've been through quite a change! Congratulations to both you and hubby.

Kim - Glad you had a nice Mother's Day. How's your son doing with his arm? Sorry to hear about your brother - I lost my older brother nearly 9 years ago. It gets easier, but not by much.

Susan
Missed you around here, Susan...now we know where you've been hiding. I wish I could have done IPS for my scrapping site as it has more of what I need but 1) can't afford it and 2) the forum part is still so new, XF does okay. Just wishing I had a full blown gallery.

Wow that's awesome Liz! You're both doing so well!! :D

The digital scrapping store sounds interesting - is that like scrapbooking stuff?

Thanks for the compliment. Yes it is exactly like scrapbooking but on a digital level and far "greener" than the paper version.

Kim, thanks for the compliment. I understand a bit of what you were feeling. I lost my Mother in 2002 the day after Mother's Day that year. So this holiday is not a happy one for me. And the pain of the loss never goes away, you just learn to cope with it.

Liz

Good to see you Susan! :) I hear you on the complexities of your current site - we're having similar issues... just holding on and hoping we can somehow make xf work for our needs, though it's proving to be a bit more difficult than we originally though. I'm sure it'll get there eventually though.

'Eventually' was proving far to nebulous and un-quantifiable for us. Our lives depend on our site and its revenue, and waiting for what may or may not happen just isn't workable for us. The level of content organization we need is far beyond the scope of what pages can handle, and although Jaxel's portal was a step in the right direction, it's not 'there' enough. It was a tough decision, that's for sure - and one we waffled back and forth on for a while.

Missed you around here, Susan...now we know where you've been hiding. I wish I could have done IPS for my scrapping site as it has more of what I need but 1) can't afford it and 2) the forum part is still so new, XF does okay. Just wishing I had a full blown gallery.

Liz

Yes, the gallery is quite a HUGE thing for us and not something we could back-burner for any length of time. Waiting to see if the solutions in development will work for us, and then whether they'll be supported is too much stress. It was quite a relief just coming to a conclusion!

On the plus side, XF is the ideal platform for a new site that's not already got content fully fleshed out. I'm looking forward to getting back in to it once we've launched our current site on IPS. May be a while, though!

I miss the community here - IPS just doesn't have that part...at least for me. :(

Susan

Jo - thanks hon, Dinner was a simple but very delicious home made hamburger :) Sorry to hear you are going through some stuff health wise, I hope it gets sorted or you are able to cope with it OK.
flowers.gif

Susan - My son is doing OK, his arm is still dislocated, but there is not a lot they can do whilst he is still growing, we have another appointment this Thursday with the specialist, they might opt for some interim treatment - bizarrely they were talking about botoxing a muscle in his arm! LOL he totally freaked out about it, we had to assure him that there is a difference between "medical" use of Botox, and cosmetic use of it :p hehehe

Dang! Really sorry to hear you are going the IPS way with your site, but I can understand it, they do have a full suite right now, and as it is your livelihood, you have to do what is best to preserve that. But still.. damn! :( Yes you are correct, there is Zero community over there if you are not a teen geekoid unfortunately... it is incredibly un-friendly un-welcoming place for women too. So hang out here instead! :D

Thanks re my brother, and yes you are correct, it does get easier to cope with, this is the first year that I haven't been a total gibbering wreck about it all, still miss him like mad, we were very close, and there is a huge hole in my life where he used to be. Very sorry to hear about your brother too.

Liz - Thanks, and so sorry to hear about your Mother, that must make this holiday especially hard for you.

Hi ladies. I was on the origins of this thread as Shanj but have been absent for a while.

My absence has been mainly because mother died. That created a big interlude.
6 months later I'm doing fine though. VMy mother was very old, suffering, and frankly had always been a hugely toxic area of my life though also I loved her dearly and owed her much. It's a colossal relief to no longer live with that weird tension. My health and my marriage, everything is improving now I have more available energy for my own use. I feel better than for many years.

Catching up on lady gossip here
KIM was amazed at your son's story and I am so glad his is coming through. Of course having good parents makes all the difference to such an experience. My sympathies re your brother. It's not true it never stops hurting (said after a long life! But it does take a long time.
LIZ sympathies on your mother.
SUSAN I know what you mean on the forum choice. I looked at IPB too but the mods are few, support crap. Far too many tiny upgrades. Nor did I find the code easy to edit. Hope it works for you though.
JO hope xf works for you.

Sitewise I am keeping my business site on VB - a big mod we really need. But I have another more community type site I can revive with XF.

Also pot of gold! I have found a really good coder who simply does what I want without fuss. He doesn't yet know XF but I'm giving him a test install on one of my sites to play with.
Expect great things because on vb he's is just a whizz and only started learning vb 2 months ago when he started working with me. He is just so good to work with - fast, polite, absorbs what I want neatly, no jargon, £20-£30 an hour - and he packs a lot in an hour.
I'll introduce him when he's got XF tamed.

My avatar is Rhiannon my new kitten - maine coon. She came to comfort me because our lovely Etsaana had kittens and we kept one who we all adored but especially me. Sadly the ghastly FIP killed him at 4 months. We do not forget him.
Rhiannon lies sprawled on my chest as I type, when not being a bounce bounce all round the room. I have to use capslock quite a bit as typing onehanded.

Top Bottom