The Gift of XenForo

Adam Howard

So how would someone go about "gifting" copies of XenForo and even official add-ons?

Christmas is in December (almost 2 months from now as we are technically reaching the exit of October soon enough). And I have a few communities who are "low budget" (...ie... ad free and little or no donations) in mind and I'm thinking of getting them copies of XenForo for Christmas.

Also there are some communities who already own copies of XenForo, but could use copies of the official add-ons (either for themselves or for other projects).

While I'll likely do this in December (or January), how would that work?

I've read that there is a 6 month transfer points... So for 6 months I would just have it associated with my account, pointing to their domain, and after that, just open a ticket or is there a quicker way around that?

Finally, how would that work for the official add-ons (for people who already own XenForo, but I want to "gift" them the add-ons)?

Send them a donation.

Let them purchase add-on or xF itself.

Gifting done.
I'm not someone who likes to gift cash (or simply give someone a gift card). I much prefer to actually go out and hand something to someone.

I'm fairly sure I can do the XenForo licenses as I described about... ie... Purchase it, setup the url for their site, and 6 months later just pass it along.

It's the add-ons that I'm unsure how that works.

Yeah, so... something happens to you within 6 months... guess what?

They never get the license, never able to upgrade, etc....

In this instance, the best scenario is to send a donation as a gift with a nice little xF bow attached.

Whatever works best for you though.

Or, ask them for their login details and you buy the license on their account.

They then change their login.

So how would someone go about "gifting" copies of XenForo and even official add-ons?

Christmas is in December (almost 2 months from now as we are technically reaching the exit of October soon enough). And I have a few communities who are "low budget" (...ie... ad free and little or no donations) in mind and I'm thinking of getting them copies of XenForo for Christmas.

Also there are some communities who already own copies of XenForo, but could use copies of the official add-ons (either for themselves or for other projects).

While I'll likely do this in December (or January), how would that work?

I've read that there is a 6 month transfer points... So for 6 months I would just have it associated with my account, pointing to their domain, and after that, just open a ticket or is there a quicker way around that?

Finally, how would that work for the official add-ons (for people who already own XenForo, but I want to "gift" them the add-ons)?
Small update. This actually turned out easier than I thought.

I'm not "big" on giving cash to anyone. But this was still successful. 3 out of 4 is not bad.

Happy Holidays :)

You can always buy me a mod or two. I won't turn them down!

In all seriousness though I think gifting someone an Add-on is as simple as starting the conversation with the Author and telling them your intention. Tell them the site URL of the person that your giving the mod to so they know it's authorized on that site. For the ones that require Token Validation, get the token from the friend you want to gift to. Don't use your own, this is misleading and not cool with the author.

...my plan is to mail myself to one person and see how many times I can get re-gifted by next holiday season. I figure that sometimes to think outside the box you just have to jump in it.

You can always buy me a mod or two. I won't turn them down!

In all seriousness though I think gifting someone an Add-on is as simple as starting the conversation with the Author and telling them your intention. Tell them the site URL of the person that your giving the mod to so they know it's authorized on that site. For the ones that require Token Validation, get the token from the friend you want to gift to. Don't use your own, this is misleading and not cool with the author.
That exactly what I did for the add-ons. :)

...my plan is to mail myself to one person and see how many times I can get re-gifted by next holiday season. I figure that sometimes to think outside the box you just have to jump in it.
This I think would have been a more successful idea in regarding 1 of the communities I wanted to help. :ROFLMAO::cry:

This I think would have been a more successful idea in regarding 1 of the communities I wanted to help. :ROFLMAO::cry:
LOL... I was sitting here trying to imagine what that is and how it is connected to mailing myself around and I am pretty sure you don't run a mail order husband service so yeah...I am at a complete and utter loss Adam. :ROFLMAO:

LOL... I was sitting here trying to imagine what that is and how it is connected to mailing myself around and I am pretty sure you don't run a mail order husband service so yeah...I am at a complete and utter loss Adam. :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

LMAO.

No, I meant to imply, that I think wrapping myself up, and mailing me to someone.... As you jokingly suggest.... Would have likely faired better than with what luck I had with trying to help 1 community.

Never the less 3 out of 4 new XenForo sites is not so bad.

Although I'm reminded of 2 old sayings

"No good deed goes unpunished"
"Evil wins when good is prevented"

Top Bottom