"The board is currently being upgraded...."

Dodgeboard

"The board is currently being upgraded. Check back later."

I know this message comes up normally when you are performing an an upgrade. But today, it just came up out of the blue. The last upgrade I performed was 1.0.4 over a week ago. Nothing has been done to it. How could this have occurred and how do I open the board back up?

EDIT: tried logging into the admincp and it wanted me to finalize the upgrade to 1.0.2. That's weird. Reuploading 1.0.4 files...

I'm in the process of uploading the files (60% done). I'm not sure what to say - I was downloading the Application.php file via FTP and it was clearly 1.0.2.

Maybe my host DID do a roll-back and I downloaded application.php after you uploaded it?

But that still wouldn't explain how I could upload 6 times and still have problems. I've used FileZilla for years and I am 100% positive I was overwriting. This is going to bother me all day.

did you put /upload/ inside /public_html/ resulting in /public_html/upload/

rather than the content of upload/* into public_html/ resulting in .. public_html/*104here*

I just noticed something strange though. I am FTP'in to my site via the IP address 70.86.183.162

When I login to my cPanel, it shows my server IP as 216.172.171.51

I am wondering now if My host has changed my IP but the old server is still online. Is that possible?

I am wondering now if My host has changed my IP but the old server is still online. Is that possible?
Quite possibly.

You could be logging in to the old cPanel.

Did they tell you they were migrating your account to a new server?
And even then, they somehow managed to roll back to 1.0.2 so they most likely migrated an old backup.

No, they didn't tell me a darn thing. They are still saying they made no changes. But as a test, I tried logging into the new IP, and I could log in. All my files are there. As a second test, I uploaded a test file to a directory, then logged into the other IP. It's not there.

They have apparently changed my IP or server and there is two servers out there with my data on it.

They still are saying they've done nothing. Hostgator.

It's always a good idea to connect via the domain name, that way you can be sure you're on the correct server.

Mike just confirmed that's how he did it, which is why he didn't have the same problem.

OK - apparently the changeover to the new IP not only caused the problem but also caused me not being able to correct it. The thing that has me mad....Why would a host make such a change and not inform me ahead of time? ANd after all the communications with them this morning they denied any changes being made. I am so angry at HostGator right now I could frigggen explode.

And why does duplicate data still exist on (apparently) another server?

Hostgator is still replying that they made no changes. Thanks for everyones help in solving the mystery. I thought I was going bonkers when the files (apparently) weren't getting overwritten.

Mystery solved:

From HostGator:

I apologize for the confusion. In an effort to keep our servers state of the art we have been migrating servers to new chassis. In most cases this is a seamless transition, however, there are times where this causes some confusion. This appears to be one of those time. Last night we migrated Gator55 to a new chassis. Since the move was to an entirely new server the IPs on the server changed. This is the cause for the "roll-back" symptoms you were seeing. The correct IP for your account is 216.172.171.51.

So why was the change made? The old Gator55 was an older dual core server with 4G of RAM. The new server is 16 core with 12G of RAM. This is a much more powerful server and provides all of our customers with an improved hosting experience.

To prevent any confusion from occurring in the future we recommend you sign up for notifications at http://forums.hostgator.com/usercp.php Please note you will need to sign up for the forums to receive notifications.

I apologize if this has caused you any confusion. I can still forward this ticket to Brent if you would like me to.

Best regards,

This still does not explain why the "new" server had "old" files. I upgraded to 1.0.4 on the 16th. My suspicion; They have been getting the "new" server ready for over two weeks and just now put it online, last night, by simply changing the DNS record to the new server's IP. This is nothing short of laziness. If you cannot get a "fresh" copy of the files on the new server when it is put online, then something is severely wrong. A two week old backup is meaningless.

It also reveals another troubling issue. When a customer is communicating with a host about a problem, they should be able to look at their logs to see what has changed. Instead, I was told (four times) in my communications with HG support, "Nothing has changed".

For years, Hostgator has been an excellent host. But, I am starting to wonder if they have gotten too big.

Top Bottom