The Big Forum List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to some free time I've actually managed to complete my major update to this page today, which is about 2 weeks earlier than I planned, so please have a look at the first page for the amended list. Currently all sites have been retain but the list re-organised a little so no further submissions will be taken from sites with under 500,000 posts. I'm also asking for more data when sites are submitted and this will be used to give more information about the largest sites, as well as allowing me to show more data in a graphical form, which might be interesting to some, I have no idea really. What I've done so far is only the first stage of the changes but the single biggest.

Edit: I've also become a minor likes whore, so feel free to show your appreciation :D

Thanks to some free time I've actually managed to complete my major update to this page today, which is about 2 weeks earlier than I planned, so please have a look at the first page for the amended list. Currently all sites have been retain but the list re-organised a little so no further submissions will be taken from sites with under 500,000 posts. I'm also asking for more data when sites are submitted and this will be used to give more information about the largest sites, as well as allowing me to show more data in a graphical form, which might be interesting to some, I have no idea really. What I've done so far is only the first stage of the changes but the single biggest.

Site Url: www.testyourmight.com
Number of Posts: 902,663
Number of Members: 14,660
Previous Software Used: vBulletin
Genre (Film/Fansite/Technology/Gaming/Sport/Music/Vehicles/General/Other): Fighting Games Fansite

Edit: I've also become a minor likes whore, so feel free to show your appreciation :D

That's a real disappointment from point of view of us little people trying to get somewhere. This thread has just lost its substance.

100K is a threshold that a good number of us can reach in time. 500K is mostly unattainable. I have one forum started on XF two years ago that is 60% of the way there, and that was one of my goals all along.

And with all due respect, why would we show our appreciation for deciding to exclude so many of us?

That's a real disappointment from point of view of us little people trying to get somewhere. This thread has just lost its substance.

100K is a threshold that a good number of us can reach in time. 500K is mostly unattainable. I have one forum started on XF two years ago that is 60% of the way there, and that was one of my goals all along.

And with all due respect, why would we show our appreciation for deciding to exclude so many of us?

That post was made before Brogan did some content removal. His original post reached the character limit, so only adding > 500k allowed him to need less room. He may have changed his mind again.

Whilst I agree that, personally, 100k is a great benchmark for a site owner to reach - I think the intention of this list is to showcase the largest forums using XenForo to show that it is a more than capable platform for running large-scale forum sites.

Of course I'm not completely unbiased ... :whistle:

That post was made before Brogan did some content removal. His original post reached the character limit, so only adding > 500k allowed him to need less room. He may have changed his mind again.

Split the thread -- one for the list, one for the suggestions. It's not exactly rocket science.

I suspect the biggest ones are of little interest to most of us -- we want to see OURS in there.

That's certainly a completely valid point of view, and I appreciate why it may seem as if I'm not appreciating your achievement, however the primary focuses of this list are not to act as a form of congratulations and recognition for board owners, although I guess that is a nice side benefit. The original intention of this list was to showcase the very largest forums running Xenforo. When there were fewer sites running Xenforo then all sites above 100,000 easily met that intention, however as more and more much larger sites convert it is no longer realistic to consider all sites that were 100,000 as among Xenforo's biggest as the numbers spiral out of control.

There is also a very real time factor in updating this list, when I update I have to check that every site on the list still runs Xenforo, is still at the same URL and still reaches the criteria for that section, it may well have moved up or down a size band. Every time a new site is added it does increase the amount of time that it takes to update to a point where it is unrealistic to be able to do all boards and I am not comfortable with having large mistakes within the data. The number of times I've had to remove sites for moving software again or changing it's url and not leaving sensible redirects is higher than you might expect. As well as this the size of the list had more than doubled in the last year and is likely to increase rapidly in size again in the weeks/months after Xenforo 1.2 is declared stable. It is thus not feasible to stick to the previous criteria.

Edit: on the note of me asking people to show their appreciation, I of course don't expect those who don't feel that the list meets what they consider to be useful to 'like' any post if they haven't found it useful to them.

@guus, this site is for XenForo powered forums and those who are planning on transferring to it. This list is also exclusively XenForo.

I've now done an update adding a few new forums as well as adding (to the best of my knowledge) the previous software used by each forum using a colour tagging system explained in the first post. What I will say is that there are a lot of blanks as I'm not sure where a lot of the forums added nearer when I began this list have come from, so it would be great if any one who is aware of what software an untagged forum used could post that. Thanks.

I've now done an update adding a few new forums as well as adding (to the best of my knowledge) the previous software used by each forum using a colour tagging system explained in the first post. What I will say is that there are a lot of blanks as I'm not sure where a lot of the forums added nearer when I began this list have come from, so it would be great if any one who is aware of what software an untagged forum used could post that. Thanks.

Over 10,000,000 posts - urban75 converted from vB4, which they described as "frankly, a nightmare" whereas with xF they were "blown away by the functionality" - Converting a “Big Board”: vBulletin to xenForo Migration

500K posts? That sucks mates, I'm at 327K posts now...and by the way that it's going, it'll take a lifetime to get to 500K (all of the regulars left before I came onboard, now it's barely alive).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom