• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

The Articles addon has been born!

Morgain

At last it begins ..... after months of effort to get the right developer interested - and years of wearily trying out things that didn't work - Jon of Waindigo came to the rescue!
--- oooh I'm so excited!
The way Jon has interpreted it as a node is remarkably elegant.

The addon has now been added to the Resource Manager. This thread remains useful as the ROADMAP. This first post is updated with each additional stage completed.
STAGE 1 PLUS editor users/ usergroups
has now been released as a free addon.
STAGE TWO is largely complete
and has been released.

This first post has Features/ Roadmap.
2nd post has screenshots.

FEATURES OF THE LIBRARY
Underlined Bold = ready for others to use in latest addon.​
Underlined = already done, testing on my site.​

STAGE ONE - Completed Sat 28 Jan.
- Create a Library node. Has node tree position, visibe/ hidden, permissions, integrated What's On etc
- Create Article as child of this Library node.
- Article edit frontend bbcode.
~ Directory or Index page to list contents. This is only for THIS Library node. A coordinated directory index of all Library nodes, if multiple nodes are creates, to come later.
- Multiple page Articles.

SAT JAN 28 Stage 1 is now complete on my site.
www.housemorgain.co.uk/circle/libraries/library-gossip.84/
for multiple page article example see www.housemorgain.co.uk/circle/libraries/library-power.91/

STAGE TWO Started Fri Feb 10. Completed Thurs Feb 16.
~ User/ Usergroup Editors. Display author userbit.
~ Upload images or Attachments direct.
Additionally an image or attachment can be uploaded, and re-used for that Article.
Image wrap - there is another addon for this (coderich)
LIBRARY INDEX PAGES
~ A Library can now have other Libraries as children. This makes it possible to create a Library index or directory page, with preview explanatory text for each. An index or directory could be for the whole collection of site Libraries, or for a subsection category of Libraries.
~ EXTRA! Libraries now integrate with Nodes-As-Tabs so a Library can appear as a tab on the navbar, together with its children Libraries on the secondary bar. This was not planned originally but added as a bonus!
~ More compatibility with several other addons.
TO BE COMPLETED
- Ordering of the Articles as listed on a Library list of its contents. Date/ A-Z/ Priority at top/ Manual by numbering. Option to Show/ Hide.
~ Priority display of Latest additions. Total no. of items in this Library. No. of views.
DISCUSSIONS
~ Discussion option connected to an Article. This will be a forum thread. It duplicates underneath the Article. Visitors can discover the same discussion either as a forum thread, or by reading the Article.
INTEGRATION WHAT'S NEW
- What's New display of new items in the Library/ Libraries.

Here endeth the free version
fully paid by myself.
Note that Jon of Waindigo will do more custom work for you​
as well as continuing development with my requests as below.​
STAGE THREE
~ Likes
~ Different kinds of Articles/ Pages with different fields. Types.
... and a lot more exciting aspects to that as an admin level design features.
~ Footnotes. Bibliography.
~ Glossary linking on keywords.

STAGE FOUR -CMS design.
Volunteers are invited for a team of subscribers to help fund a CMS.
This would draw upon the resources of both Forums and the Library
to display in front page blocks.
Plus html blocks and external snippet blocks like the Earth Moon one on my site.
So far on the CMS project we have:​
Morgain $50​
Principia $40 -50.​

With grateful thanks to Jon of Waindigo for finally getting me here so my dreams come true.

1 Create Node.webp
Create a Node just as normal. This acts like a category to contain pages.

2 Create Library.webp

All very familiar. Title, description appears just as it does on a category or forum.
The next pic however may look odd to you because it is my own forum design. (Liam is going to test it on his site where it'll look more "normal" :)

3 Frontend Library.webp

FRONTEND - public view. Here's a node I created earlier with Title and Description.
At first that's all that appears except for the magic Create New Article button!

4 Frontend edit.webp
Where you can Edit in seconds with bbcode! AT LAST!

Article.webp

The Article.
Very simple at the moment. Title, Content., Save.
Picture is displayed by Insert in the bbcode, but upload is on the list.

The Library NODE which lists its Articles displays on the node tree if set to do so.

With grateful thanks to Jon of Waindigo for finally getting me here so my dreams come true.

Looks promising! Is this going to be an Add-on release? Paid or Free? Any demo available?

Yes it will be an add-on.

A basic part free - create a Library/ Directory node + any number of Articles with frontend Edit bbcode incl. image upload; with auto directory page; linked discussions in both forum thread and in-page duplicate.
The rest is likely to be paid. Also customisation on a paid basis.

Demo very soon on the basic version - this trial run only went live for the first time last night!

Well Jon is working on it now today.

He needs to add Edit an article once Ive made it. Delete.
Same for the library Node.
- that's the jobs for today.
After that I think Jon can give it out on a trial basis and I'll put up a zip just for this tiny step.

I did a little bit of design to make the pages look better late last night.
www.housemorgain.co.uk/circle
See Open Library at top.

It could be callled Library Node or Directory Node. For me it's a library but if you wanted business listings Directory would be better.
I think Jon is making that a Phrase change but it would arrive with one as default.

Keep us posted, the main thing i needed from the system is multiple pages support and comments. Think it would be good to see on a not-so-edited forum as your forum layout extremely confuses me.

This looks great! Will it be compatible with the directory add on that is already available since they name might be similar? Also if you could make a xenporta block for featured articles that would be soooo money!

Great Job!

Pet I believe the developer intends to move towards a CMS.
I am not 100% on this as it's not a major thing to me, and I'm his sponsor.So the immediate functions will be made around what I need.

What Jon does is he'll do the stuff I want and I pay him. So I own it but a lot of it I'm willing to make available free. The price for the paid version will be low.
Then Jon will add more functions and customise it if someone asks him for what they want.

Keep us posted, the main thing i needed from the system is multiple pages support and comments. Think it would be good to see on a not-so-edited forum as your forum layout extremely confuses me.

Well Jon must have one as he doesn't design straight on my forum.

Pagination is right at the top of the task list. He did say that wasn't difficult.

This looks great! Will it be compatible with the directory add on that is already available since they name might be similar? Also if you could make a xenporta block for featured articles that would be soooo money!
Great Job!

Thank you.
Which other addon did you mean?
I was wondering whether to name it XF Directory or XF Library. For me it is a Library but I thought Directory is more general.

It's been discussed making blocks for featured articles, article from each Category etc
That is not immediate work, top of the list though. See above for the worklist.

I was wondering whether to name it XF Directory or XF Library. For me it is a Library but I thought Directory is more general.

If your open to the suggestion I wouldn't name it either. I would prefix it with something other than XF so as not to confuse such as HM Inline Articles Directory. I said that example because to me that summarizes briefly what I believe this addon would be doing (frontend inline creation of articles in a directory listing format...correct me if I wrong) and HM for housemorgain.co.uk to establish you as the release-er.

On that note I would say (by the description obviously since I have not actually tried it) that this addon looks pretty sharp and I could think of a lot of situations that this could be used and even more with some slight modifying here and there. Congrats with the addon and I look forward to seeing it in action.

Pet I believe the developer intends to move towards a CMS.
I am not 100% on this as it's not a major thing to me, and I'm his sponsor.So the immediate functions will be made around what I need.
I think there a re enough users here to help you with some money ;)
An Article Addon is a heavy ask feature.

Principia I'm funding all the list I put up earlier because these are features I want:

* The CMS I'll ask for a team of subscribers to help fund it. Thank you. Good idea.
So maybe let me know here or on PC if if you're interested.

Will edit first post to match this.

NAMING -
EQNoble thank you for advice. It's both Waindigo and my addon so maybe no prefix.
I might stick to Library as I like it.

Top Bottom