Thanks for making the Avatar changes.

I have to agree with Blandt here; animated avatars are distracting when reading posts, and it can even make reading almost impossible for some disabled people. Others will find it just very annoying. The best solution is: keep them in the profiles and profile cards. And I applaud the devs for not adding it as a feature, as this will improve the UX on all XF powered forums.

Signatures are far, far more annoying than animated avatars. They break up the flow of the conversation, they clutter the message area, they force someone to read the same damn quote over and over again, and they usually take up way more space than the actual message. And the last time I looked, they were also allowed to be animated. But the devs still left them in.

There should be the option of animated or whatever on avatars, it is not up to the software supplier to dictate good taste or not... A lot of people want animated avatars, simple as that, I think as admins we can decide what is appropriate for our communities - those that don't like them (or in fact anything else that might be fun annoying) can be Admin Nazi's and not allow them on their communities. For the rest of us in the real world, we want the option please! ;)

I find signatures more annoying than avatars.

I think animated avatars should be allowed, and for the minority that dislike animated avatars, they can hit the esc key to stop the animations. At least in firefox and IE. Not sure about other browsers.

I'm actually not so sure it is a minority that dislike animations on web pages. Anyone remembering the thread about the worst web pages and what they contain?

Now picture a worst case scenario thread page with 20 animations on the left and try to read through it.

I'm actually not so sure it is a minority that dislike animations on web pages. Anyone remembering the thread about the worst web pages and what they contain?

Now picture a thread page with 20 animations on the left and try to read through it.

You are of course welcome to your opinion, and welcome to turn them off, or enforce a "NO ANIMATED AVATARS" policy on your forums.

But for a lot of us, they are important, regardless of the dislike by a minority or a majority or any other ority :)

Your opinion is no more valid than mine or anyone elses, However, there has been a consistent request for full avatar features, including transparent .pngs and .gifs (animated or not) The customers of this product have requested something that is very common, and available on all other forum softwares.

The negative opinions of a few people should not dissuade the manufacturers from adding what is an essential basic feature for many people.

Really, there's no ability to disable avatars on here? I never tried, so I didn't know that. And I'm pretty shocked, frankly.

Currently no, however, if avatars do bother you, then simply just download Adblock Plus and create a filter rule of:
||xenforo.com/community/data/avatar/*
And poof! No more Avatars on any page on XenForo for you :p
However, I do like that the membercard displays the animated avatar though and to be honest, I do quite like that animated avatars aren't there, but at the same time they are.

There should be the option of animated or whatever on avatars, it is not up to the software supplier to dictate good taste or not... A lot of people want animated avatars, simple as that, I think as admins we can decide what is appropriate for our communities - those that don't like them (or in fact anything else that might be fun annoying) can be Admin Nazi's and not allow them on their communities. For the rest of us in the real world, we want the option please! ;)
Exactly. I see no harm in allowing animated Avatars to show up on the thread display, just allow it to be a toggle, on or off.

The animated avatar discussion here is sort of moot. I believe I mentioned this when it came up before, but we don't disallow animated avatars explicitly; they just don't work because GD doesn't support them. In theory, the only way you could get an animated avatar to appear with a post would be for it be 92x92, though the code doesn't support that as is.

Indeed, ImageMagick supports resizing animated GIFs. However, there is actually a borderline denial of service vector there, so I'm not sure if I'd want to allow that anyway.

Good decision and a welcome one. And I've just noticed that the sprite sheet (editor) is now png which will make my life a whole lot easier when I get around to completing the stylesheet.

Nice work yet again, and even more so for listening. :)

As a previous VBulletin Forum ADMIN - I'm disappointed to learn that the animated avatar setting is not even available in admin panel....

The option of animated avatars is very important to my forum, getting a person to register on your forum is hard enough and the risk of loosing a newly registered member for not being able to give them animated avatar option is also high!

The first thing I wanted to load on my new forum was my animated Police Avatar, and a big disappointment not only to be told I can't but also read about it here!

As a previous VBulletin Forum ADMIN - I'm disappointed to learn that the animated avatar setting is not even available in admin panel....

The option of animated avatars is very important to my forum, getting a person to register on your forum is hard enough and the risk of loosing a newly registered member for not being able to give them animated avatar option is also high!

The first thing I wanted to load on my new forum was my animated Police Avatar, and a big disappointment not only to be told I can't but also read about it here!
I agree. But the issue is that the "Avatar" on XenForo is used system-wide, whereas IPB and vB have a separate Avatar and profile picture. Thus, an animated Avatar would also be animated on a profile page or anywhere else that uses it.

I agree. But the issue is that the "Avatar" on XenForo is used system-wide, whereas IPB and vB have a separate Avatar and profile picture. Thus, an animated Avatar would also be animated on a profile page or anywhere else that uses it.

Well the only solution is for the Developer to fix this issue. I paid $$$ US dollars for this forum script and a simple avatar setup that all forums have is missing! The least the developers could do is fix this bug.

Well the only solution is for the Developer to fix this issue. I paid $$$ US dollars for this forum script and a simple avatar setup that all forums have is missing! The least the developers could do is fix this bug.
The known fix opens up the software to potential DoS attacks.

Sorry, I rather keep my forum a bit more secure, but thats just me.

It's not a bug because the lack of animated Avatars is by design. What you want could probably be accomplished, but it might require a fairly complex modification.

Hm it's fine if some doesn't want the animated avatars, I just find it should be an option to the forum-admin to decide wether to have it or not. I know for sure, that a lot of our members will be extremely disappointed (me included) not to have dynamic avatars. We have a lot of creative members and some really fun dynamic avatars, which are spicing up the pages :)

It won't stop me from using xenforo, but I still hope it will be possible in future.

Top Bottom