[TH] Thumbnails [Deleted]

Two questions:

1) Where in the ACP are the per-forum permission settings?
2) Is there any kind of visual indicator to identify whether XF is displaying a user's avatar or a thread thumbnail?

a Thumbnail image can be automatically selected based on different criteria (e.g., uploaded images, attached images, etc.).

Will it work on a proxied image? Sorry if I'm not explaining it well, but let's say a thread does not have any images uploaded to it, but has external images that are cached through the proxy. Will it work with those images? Or only with images that are uploaded directly?

Will it work on a proxied image? Sorry if I'm not explaining it well, but let's say a thread does not have any images uploaded to it, but has external images that are cached through the proxy. Will it work with those images? Or only with images that are uploaded directly?
The proxy is applied AFTER the data is grabbed from the database. So whatever it's grabbing will be displayed just fine (unless your user copy and pastes a proxied image into their post, haven't tested that).
Two questions:

1) Where in the ACP are the per-forum permission settings?
2) Is there any kind of visual indicator to identify whether XF is displaying a user's avatar or a thread thumbnail?
There is currently not a per-forum permissions settings as the thumbnails are applied globally.
There is currently not, is there a request for one you have?

There is currently not, is there a request for one you have?

By default, XF displays a user's avatar next to the title of their thread. My understanding is that this add-on replaces their avatar with a content thumbnail they can either select, or have generated automatically. How do viewers tell whether a thread is displaying a content thumbnail or the user's avatar?

By default, XF displays a user's avatar next to the title of their thread. My understanding is that this add-on replaces their avatar with a content thumbnail they can either select, or have generated automatically. How do viewers tell whether a thread is displaying a content thumbnail or a user's avatar?
There is no message to tell the user if the icon is an avatar or thumbnail currently.

There is no message to tell the user if the icon is an avatar or thumbnail currently.

Then, how is the add-on of any real use? If I'm looking at a list of threads, and am either not familiar with a user's avatar or know if they recently changed their avatar, having a thumbnail preview of their thread isn't going to tell me anything about its content prior to viewing the thread. For all I know, the thumbnail is their avatar.

Then, how is the add-on of any real use? If I'm looking at a list of threads, and am either not familiar with a user's avatar or know if they recently changed their avatar, having a thumbnail preview of their thread isn't going to tell me anything about its content prior to viewing the thread. For all I know, the thumbnail is their avatar.
What use did you have in mind then?

What use did you have in mind then?

I run a 3D art board where digital artists share and discuss their work. I was going to use the add-on as a tool for viewers to be able to see, at a glance, which threads contain images when checking for new posts or browsing the forum galleries.

I run a 3D art board where digital artists share and discuss their work. I was going to use the add-on as a tool for viewers to be able to see, at a glance, which threads contain images when checking for new posts or browsing the forum galleries.
Well you could always make the thumbnails larger than the avatar, or maybe we could put a message on the list or a border around thumbnails. It all comes down to what is best and least intrusive to users.

I bought this, but I admit that it does not do what I was envisioning. I thought it created a thumbnail, meaning a smaller cropped version of an image. What it does it take the image URL and squeeze it into the space normally used for avatars. So if you have a bunch of 2mb images in threads, each one will sloooowwwwwlllllyyyy load all on one page. It also squishes everything square, so the images are distorted.

It's interesting, but definitely not something I'd use.

I bought this, but I admit that it does not do what I was envisioning. I thought it created a thumbnail, meaning a smaller cropped version of an image. What it does it take the image URL and squeeze it into the space normally used for avatars. So if you have a bunch of 2mb images in threads, each one will sloooowwwwwlllllyyyy load all on one page. It also squishes everything square, so the images are distorted.

For a short term fix we can fix that VIA CSS, but maybe we can add a data system where it downloads the URL image to your forum with proper dimensions.

I'm not sure how CSS would fix it – people have images of all different dimensions, so there isn't one shape that would suit all. I like the squares, I just wish they were actual little thumbnails and not just the huge original images squished into smaller dimensions.

I'm sure there are sites that could use it as it is, so my only suggestion would be to explain it better in the description, and mention that it doesn't create thumbnails, it just resizes the image.

Yeah it's not ideal, but it's what we've got. Been using this for over a year. @silence we could really use some intelligent thumbnail generation.... :)

Top Bottom