[TH] Social Groups [Deleted]

Suggestion:
- add a XenGrid widget showing the latest group discussions
- add a XenGrid widget showing the latest/most popular/most active groups

This will allow us to display group content on a portal.

Last edited:
Is your administrator a member of the social group that you are trying to create threads in? If not, you will either need to get them to join the group or you will need to explicitly give them permission to edit threads for that node. You might want to try using the Analyze Permissions tool (Admin CP -> Tools -> Analyze Permissions) to see what permissions they currently have.

I'd like to see some real world examples of this plugin in use. What sites are currently using it? If you're not comfortable posting your link here feel free to PM me. ;)

@Waindigo I cannot even create a social forum at all, no matter what I try. I'm the one that was trying to figure it out, not one of my other admins. Do I need to create a user group to create a social forum? I thought that they didn't need to create their own group/me creating it for them?

EDIT: Figured it out. Thanks.

Last edited:
Could you explain why you have chosen not to make it nodes or a separate route? What are the benefits of this approach?

Could you explain why you have chosen not to make it nodes or a separate route? What are the benefits of this approach?
Having a large number of nodes can cause performance issues. Since this add-on allows users to create unlimited groups, I felt it was important to avoid using the existing node system for every social forum.

The e-mail notification doesn't work?

Edit: Not only the e-mail notification.
The social group members can't see unread threads and the unread icon doesn't work.
A problem with the permissions?

Last edited:
The e-mail notification doesn't work?

Edit: Not only the e-mail notification.
The social group members can't see unread threads and the unread icon doesn't work.
A problem with the permissions?
Can you be more specific?

Do you mean if they are watching a social forum?

What do you mean by can't see unread threads? They can't view the threads at all, or they can't see which threads are unread on the New Posts page? Where is the icon not working? What is it showing?

Can you be more specific?
Do you mean if they are watching a social forum?
Yes

What do you mean by can't see unread threads? They can't view the threads at all, or they can't see which threads are unread on the New Posts page? Where is the icon not working? What is it showing?

Outside of the group, the node icon is always "unread" and at the last post is "private".
Inside the group, the member can see all threads.
Also the watched group threads are not displayed at "watched threads".

This is to do with the permissions of the social category. It may be worked around in future versions.

Having a large number of nodes can cause performance issues. Since this add-on allows users to create unlimited groups, I felt it was important to avoid using the existing node system for every social forum.
I see. I asked Mike about this and IIRC @Mike posted that the number of nodes are not a cause for performance issues with xenforo. This was a restriction with vbulletin.

Also: I found that importing from vb groups to Rigel Kentaurus's groups addon does not work. It does not import everything. So a vb importer is needed. I will contact you about this.

Are bd widgets planned?

I see. I asked Mike about this and IIRC @Mike posted that the number of nodes are not a cause for performance issues with xenforo. This was a restriction with vbulletin.

Also: I found that importing from vb groups to Rigel Kentaurus's groups addon does not work. It does not import everything. So a vb importer is needed. I will contact you about this.

Are bd widgets planned?
Not sure I agree with @Mike on this one, although it probably depends what question you asked him and the sort of numbers you were talking about. I am talking about having the same sort of number of social groups as you might have number of threads, so that could be quite significant. I don't believe that that would have no performance impact at all compared to a site with only a handful of nodes. That being said, it sounds like it is still a massive improvement on vBulletin.

Top Bottom