[TH] Import Tools [Deleted]

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 271581184) (tried to allocate 81 bytes)

Sometimes is just a matter of increasing memory_limit via .htaccess or php.ini to, say, 384MB or 512MB or whatever the value which matches the memory requirements of such process. Ask the support staff of your hosting provider if you don't know how to do this by yourself. :)

Thanks Jaime :)
IIRC I did increase the memory_limit via php.ini quite a bit before I decided I was raising it too high just for one script.
Anyway, we ended up porting over to xenForo about 6 weeks ago now....so it's all sorted (for us, anyway)

I have a beta board that I imported vB 3.8 threads on to last year. In order to use this tool correctly, should I wipe the beta database and clear attachments per xenForo instructions before using this tool to import a fresher copy of the database to the beta board?

You probably don't need this add-on. Better to just do a fresh install of latest version of XenForo and do a fresh import.

@Waindigo - I followed with a fresh install and I have been playing with a truncated clone of my live site with just a couple threads and 9 members.

I have done a couple imports successfully and skipped steps - saw the 'undo' option - all seemed to go well. I followed the process shown in your demonstration video.

However, I noticed there are steps I cannot skip, for example importing usergroups (1st step) - not a big deal - but during my last import I really just wanted to import 1 new thread. Then I noticed I could not avoid importing users again. What was weird was during the 2nd import, it imported 4 users it said even though I had imported them the 1st time. It then asked to merge them later. (Did I lose data on those members by doing the merge?)

When I went to load the new posts and threads, it said it imported 2 messages - when actually only one of them was new.

by skipping over any IDs that have previously been imported when you run a step more than once, this add-on makes debugging an importer or performing a staged import easier than ever.

So my experience shown above doesn't seem to line up with this as I really didn't see proper skipping.

This scares me because when I am done testing and do this import for real before going live with xF, I really just want to import the new data that didn't exist during the last import and not be offline for 2 days as I have a big board and importing takes time.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong if anything. I followed your process in the demo video - initially importing external data, then put a new thread on the clone board, then hit 'import external data' again, filled out database configuration, validated it, then I 'retrieved import log' and when through some of the import steps again as stated above. What have I missed? Or am I just confused on how this works?

Last edited:
Update:
I just did another import. This time I was able to skip steps all the way down to 'import forums.'
From there I went to import threads and posts. It imported 3 threads. Again only 1 was new. My understanding was that it should only import the new one and skip the old ones?

It will always show the full number of posts imported. The best way to check is just to have a look at your forums and see what has been imported. It should not be importing duplicate anything.

Yeah I don't see duplicates there. But I am wondering if I will notice any time savings. If I were to import users again, would I see it cycle through all users while importing again? Or will I see it just import new users?

Yeah I don't see duplicates there. But I am wondering if I will notice any time savings. If I were to import users again, would I see it cycle through all users while importing again? Or will I see it just import new users?
It cycles through all the users but skips the ones already imported, so it shouldn't take much time.

First, I just want to say to waindigo -- THANK YOU. The ability to incremental imports really should be a core part of XF -- it makes a difficult task so much easier.

I watched the video, I just want to make sure i'm doing this right before I blow everything up --

My steps so far:
1. Installed the Import Tool
2. Imported all of my vB 4.2 board, saved the log to a table.

All is well, the initial import worked perfectly.

Now, if I want to do an incremental update next week (importing new users and posts), should I tick the "Retain imported content IDs" box on the first page of the importer when I start the incremental import? I ask b/c the XF authors attach an ominous note to it: " If you have existing XenForo data, this will fail."

So how should I handle this? Check the box, and hope the for best?
Do the import tools do something to prevent the promised disaster?

Thanks for the great work & any help you can provide!

Thanks for the kind words.

If you checked the box the first time you imported, then you can check it the second time. Or you can leave it unchecked -- that will also work.
As long as you follow the steps in the video and re-import your existing log at the correct time, the import won't fail.

If you did not check the box the first time you imported, you MUST NOT check it the second time.

We have a test instance that we set up prior to officially moving to XenForo from vBul. It hasn't been updated since we went live, but I would like to actually get it synched up and then do so on a schedule for testing. We didn't do the setup/import ourselves - paid for it to be done - so I'm not sure WHAT method it used. I'm guessing the right answer for us is to kill it, start from scratch, and then use this moving forward? (The 'kill it' and 'start from scratch' parts are stressful for me as we have 70k users and 4.5mm posts - I don't even want to THINK how long this will take.)

You might be better off using the Big Board Importer, which is much better for bigger sites like yours. This add-on is not compatible with that importer.

Hey @Waindigo,

I just wanted to check if your plugin will help me in my scenario. I did a import from VB4 to XF 1.3.5 using the default importer. Everything seemed to be working great. But after I went live I realised some attachments didn't come over. maybe around 5-10%. I cannot start afresh since the new forum has lot of additional content now.

Can this plugin help me recover and import the rest of the attachments without a full import?

Thanks in advance :)

Hey @Waindigo,

I just wanted to check if your plugin will help me in my scenario. I did a import from VB4 to XF 1.3.5 using the default importer. Everything seemed to be working great. But after I went live I realised some attachments didn't come over. maybe around 5-10%. I cannot start afresh since the new forum has lot of additional content now.

Can this plugin help me recover and import the rest of the attachments without a full import?

Thanks in advance :)
Yes

Top Bottom