[TH] Ignore More [Deleted]

Ignored threads still seem to be showing in the thread list. I've definitely selected that they should be ignored there.

A few questions:
  1. If a thread is ignored for news feed, will this thread also be hidden in New Posts, widgets, New Threads widgets and under What's New / New Posts?
  2. If a forum is ignored for news feed, will threads from this forum be hidden in New Posts widgets, New Threads widgets and under What's New / New Posts?
  3. Is content from an ignored forum hidden from search results (unless the forum is explicitly selected)?
  4. Are ignored threads hidden from search results?

Ignored threads still seem to be showing in the thread list. I've definitely selected that they should be ignored there.
I'll look into this further before reporting it on our issue tracker.

Also, a couple of feature request to bring it in line with this add-on.

• Permissions.
  • Select which forums users are allowed to ignore.

Cheers!
Thank you for the kind suggestions, we will look into making such improvements in the future.

A few questions:
  1. If a thread is ignored for news feed, will this thread also be hidden in New Posts, widgets, New Threads widgets and under What's New / New Posts?
  2. If a forum is ignored for news feed, will threads from this forum be hidden in New Posts widgets, New Threads widgets and under What's New / New Posts?
  3. Is content from an ignored forum hidden from search results (unless the forum is explicitly selected)?
  4. Are ignored threads hidden from search results?
Questions asked above is functionality we don't currently offer within this add-on. But I'll note these down so that we can look into adding such functionality in the future.

There are quite a few issues with this Add-on :(

1. It is causing an additional query on every thread view by a registered user.

This could be avoided by adding smth. like
  2. PHP:
    protected function getThreadViewExtraWith()
    {
        $extraWith = parent::getThreadViewExtraWith();

$userId = \XF::visitor()->user_id;
        if ($userId)
        {
            $extraWith[] = 'ThIgnoreMoreIgnore|' . $userId;
        }

return $extraWith;
    }

3. to ThemeHouse\IgnoreMore\XF\Pub\Controller\Thread.
  4. It is also causing up to 2 additional queries for every thread item in the news feed/latest acivity pages
    This even happens for guests where those queries are completely useless as they will never yield results
  5. Post items are still being displayed in news feed/latest activity pages even if the thread or forum is ignored

It would also be nice if the menus were consistent:

Unignore all is on top
ignore-manage-forums.png

But Unignore selected on bottom of the list
ignore-manage-forums-2.png

Last edited:
It would be nice if the "Ignored" menu was only displayed when members actually have ignored a forum or thread. Instead of showing another menu to every person even though they have nothing ignored.

ignored-link.webp

2. PHP:
    {

if ($userId)
    {
    }

return $extraWith;
    }

4. It is also causing up to 2 additional queries for every thread item in the news feed/latest acivity pages
    This even happens for guests where those queries are completely useless as they will never yield results
  5. Post items are still being displayed in news feed/latest activity pages even if the thread or forum is ignored

Unignore all is on top
View attachment 207250

View attachment 207249
It would be nice if the "Ignored" menu was only displayed when members actually have ignored a forum or thread. Instead of showing another menu to every person even though they have nothing ignored.

View attachment 207886
Thanks for your suggestions, we will review them and add them to our issue tracker.

2. PHP:
    {

if ($userId)
        {
        }

return $extraWith;
    }

Unignore all is on top
View attachment 207250

View attachment 207249

Curious if these issues were addressed...

Curious if these issues were addressed...
Would be in the patch notes if they were.

Likewise. I'm not going to purchase if this addon doubles our server load.
The average cost of a query that's as well indexed as the one in this case is about 0.001 second (that's double the upper bound that it takes on my machine, so more likely around 0.00025s), times 25 on a default thread list item count is about 0.025 seconds. I'll put an educated guess out that that's not your page load time, so it isn't doubling anything, and probably not even close to making a noticeable difference at the end of the day.

Would be in the patch notes if they were.

Cool stuff.

A nicer, friendlier and overall more productive way of answering customer queries that doesn't waste your time and ours would be:

A. Not currently but we will be looking at it
B. Not currently, it's not something we feel needs to be addressed
C. Anything but the above

Although this addon may not contribute to performance degradation in any meaningful way a lot of admins are weary or becoming so of any additional queries that may cumulatively hamper performance. Given we run tens (some hundreds) of addons, it all adds up so if extra queries can be avoided they should. That was my angle here, not trying to be arsey.

Last edited:
A nicer, friendlier and overall more productive way of answering customer queries that doesn't waste your time and ours would be:

A. Not currently but we will be looking at it
B. Not currently, it's not something we feel needs to be addressed
C. Anything but the above
Cool stuff.

I'm not sure where the problem lies with reading and understanding the patch notes or why we need to specifically reiterate over every problem that wasn't fixed immediately (and not listed so in the patch notes), but I've noticed that you've started this in quite a bunch of threads and issues on github. For the most part, our patch notes are complete, so there's really no reason to continuously ask if things were fixed, if they weren't listed as such, and this isn't the first time we've mentioned that.

Cool stuff.

I'm not sure where the problem lies with reading and understanding the patch notes or why we need to specifically reiterate over every problem that wasn't fixed immediately (and not listed so in the patch notes), but I've noticed that you've started this in quite a bunch of threads and issues on github. For the most part, our patch notes are complete, so there's really no reason to continuously ask if things were fixed, if they weren't listed as such, and this isn't the first time we've mentioned that.

Started what exactly?

Cool stuff.

If you have issues with my github issues (geddit!) and general forum demeanor I will happily stop spending time debugging and reporting your issues. I am more than happy to kiss goodbye to the hundreds of hours I've spent debugging issues large and small with your various addons and themes over the years and let you handle it all buddy.

On occasion I will stress super critical issues (not relevant to this thread/addon) to you as you may have noticed not because I like to spend time in github but because you seem to skip over them or typically not provide any feedback on whether important stuff is being worked on. You have issues dating back over 2 years in GH. Before you poke fun at my reports I suggest you clean house there first.

This is quite interesting.

Basic story: Doing a dry run on a planned conversion from xf1.5.24 to xf2.1.7

When we got to this addon, this happened:

snip_im.JPG

We had the old version of "Ignore More" on 1.5.24 (v1.1.0c) and we simply dropped the latest version in the package for the conversion to 2.1.7, using the latest 2.0.1 release of "Ignore More". As you can see the screenshot, the new version with the logo is there but it's still reporting as a legacy addon at 1.1.0c. It does not show up in the 'Installable Addon' section, both versions just show up in the legacy area at the bottom.

I'm skipping this one for now and completing the rest of the conversion.

No other glitches in the conversion aside from this one. I was hoping to keep the ignored data intact, carrying over into the new site.
We still got some time before the actual convert, just working out the kinks ahead of time. :)

Note: I did create a 2nd image and was able to install the new version AFTER uninstalling the the old version from the legacy addon list. (I've not yet checked the user data as of yet.)

Last edited:
I don't know if it is just us but ignored content is still appearing in News Feed/ forum listings/the front page.

Top Bottom