XF 2.2 Text editor and attachment manager improvements

1596357822277.webp
Central to the experience of interacting with forum software is the interface through which visitors will create their content. This is usually done through the text editor and attachment manager, so keeping these systems fresh and inspiring is very important to us.

From the outset, XenForo has employed a rich text editor (RTE) to allow visitors to compose their messages in a what-you-see-is-what-you-get (WYSIWYG) interface, so that bold text is shown emboldened, large text is appropriately large etc., rather than working directly with the underlying BB code in order to take the guesswork out of message editing. We've always built a custom implementation on top of what we consider to be the best-in-class tools, and through the life of the XenForo we have already made major switches to completely new libraries twice, moving from TinyMCE to Redactor and then to Froala.

With XenForo 2.2, we have made another major change to our implementation. We continue to build upon Froala, but we have improved every aspect of our system.

We'd love you to read what we've put down here, but if you're pushed for time...

tl;dr

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i didnt say remove, i said option! there should be an admincp option do disable thumbnails if i want to.
Read my earlier message regarding this. It's highly unlikely (and severely off-topic at this point) to remove the ability to add thumbnails as it'd require modifying the entire BB code to reject thumbnails. Instead, you could see how the templates for 2.2 are for inserting images into a post type and merely editing the option for inserting them from the user side out (though, with BB code knowledge, one could "insert" anyway unless you have someone develop a custom add on to reject that).

Love the New attachment interface. :love:

On the subject of attachments, I have noticed that when you ban a format such as PNG and send an attachment, you are informed of the ban after the upload. Is it possible to inform about the ban before uploading the file, saving time.

I don't know where to make meta suggestions, so I better write it here.

Why is the editor like this for small screens? There are more important buttons than the alignment stuff. Why are they displayed first?

1593001014452.png

1593001163082.webp

Refresh the page. There is currently a known issue where buttons do odd things when the browser is resized.

OK, how do I do a multi-quote and be able to respond below each quoted post without having to resort to toggling off BB code mode? 🤔

Before when inserting multiple quotes in into a response the 'raw' BB code was shown. That made it very easy to simply go move your cursor to the end of each closing 'quote' tag to type in your response.

Now by default the quotes are displayed in their presentation format. Trying to move the cursor up in the editor results in the cursor going into the quoted text and so I'm not finding a way of doing something like just inserting a 'return' between the quotes so I can type my replies.

Trying to move the cursor up in the editor results in the cursor going into the quoted text and so I'm not finding a way of doing something like just inserting a 'return' between the quotes so I can type my replies.
It goes into the quoted text but if you press "enter" it goes below the quoted text like you would expect.

But I agree that this should be treated as a bug as the cursor shouldn't be placed inside the quote but outside of it.

Cursor in quote box and line break
It goes into the quoted text but if you press "enter" it goes below the quoted text like you would expect.

But I agree that this should be treated as a bug as the cursor shouldn't be placed inside the quote but outside of it.
Well, that's odd! Yep, you guys are right, even though the cursor gets moved into the quoted text hitting 'enter' is actually taking place outside of the tags. Turns out that hitting enter between sentences of a quote will also turn it into multiple quote tags.

I'm... I'm not sure if I like this or not. 🤔

The new quote implementaqtion seems to cause a regression, it doesn't seem to be possible to copy quotes any longer :(

When I insert a "Gallery" image, I am unable to re-size the image in edit mode. It only seems to work on "Attachments".

We'd love you to read what we've put down here, but if you're pushed for time...
I'm really loving a preview of quotes in the text editor without having to preview it. Only "power users" would understand the quote tags and this makes it 100x better and will hopefully improve on quoting so we all know what a reply is in context to (until post comments are made... in XF 2.3? ;)).

The "Preview" text disappears relatively early. I think it's pretty non-discoverable for most. I'm not sure I see the advantage of not keeping the button next to Post Reply

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 3.42.57 AM.webp

Top Bottom