As designed test permissions not working as expected

Mr Lucky

I have a forum set up that allows users to see only their own threads.

The permissions inherit everything from the standard registered user permissions apart from

View Threads by others = Revoke

The users can see their own threads, but when I test the permission of that user, then I cannot see their threads in that forum

That's correct. The permissions apply to you, so you'll be able to see your own threads because the permission stops you from seeing others threads.

Liam

This is basically expected due to the limitations of the Test Permissions system in how it overlays someone else's permissions on top of yours, and the fact that you're still logged in as you, with someone else's permissions applied.

Use the Analyze Permissions feature for a clearer and more accurate view of how permissions are being applied.

The permissions from that user are associated with your account, but you're not that user.
I thought with test permissions, you are supposed to see what that user sees.

Use the Analyze Permissions feature for a clearer and more accurate view of how permissions are being applied.

This is not as useful when you want to actually see the what the user is seeing

If you want to see exactly what a user sees, the only way is logging in as them. There are a lot of variables beyond permissions that relate to this.

This behavior is explicitly noted in the test permissions description:
As this user's permissions will be applied to your account, keep in mind that user-specific permissions will affect you. For example, if the user you're testing as can only edit his/her own posts, you will only be able to edit your own posts.

If you want to see exactly what a user sees, the only way is logging in as them. There are a lot of variables beyond permissions that relate to this.

Maybe I am not explaining very well what I mean.

When clicking on Test permissions, it says:

The permission tester allows you to view the forum with the permissions of the specified user. You will still be logged in as yourself, but your permissions will show you what is visible for this user.

This implies that I will see what the user sees.

The part quoted above also implies this.

As this user's permissions will be applied to your account, keep in mind that user-specific permissions will affect you. For example, if the user you're testing as can only edit his/her own posts, you will only be able to edit your own posts.

So therefore I do expect to see what the user sees, and in may instances I do, but just not in this case so I think the feature is described incorrectly if it doesn't so what it says it does.[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom